USyd Students - the VSU Era - What will you do? (1 Viewer)

As a student of the University of Sydney, in 2007 will you…

• Continue to support the student organisations in full (pay all fees)

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Continue to support the student organisations in part (pay some of the fees)

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Not support any of the student organisations.

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Phanatical said:
If my SRC fees are supporting evil cults, then I don't want to support the SRC.

Here's a reminder about what Falun Gong has done:

Before:

After:
Nice one Quah.

You've swayed me.

Just like Hitler did with his Nazi propaganda.

veridis

droog
HSC
nice you've just given quah the auto win
godwins law clearly states that as soon as you compare someone to hitler or the nazis you lose

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Those images come from two different sites. How are we to know that they are actually the same person?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
ujuphleg said:
Those images come from two different sites. How are we to know that they are actually the same person?
more importantly they're domain is .cn, which is china, and i'm suuure china is really the type of country that acuratley reports on Falun Gong

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Egronk said:
SHould people who don't pay their union fees be allowed to use union services?
no, i dont believe they should, no manning, no wentworth, no holme.

unfourtunatley, it's just not pratical to impose such restrictions (and probably not financially viable either) but as a matter of principle i stand by the idea

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
veridis said:
nice you've just given quah the auto win
godwins law clearly states that as soon as you compare someone to hitler or the nazis you lose
Oh my bad.

Your logic is unquestionable and highly mature, sorry.

veridis

droog
HSC
Egronk said:
Oh my bad.

Your logic is unquestionable and highly mature, sorry.
*wonders what tone to read the last sentence in*
*is sure he should have put a smiley in his last post*
does nobody else know godwins law of trolling?

veridis

droog
HSC
*is unsure who's arguing who now*
you cant seriously be condemning falun gong as an evil cult while at the same time asking us to take a more balanced and reasonable view about the nazis and hitler. unless you are able to condemn the censorship and brainwashing occuring in china its obvious that you have nothing against cults per se but merely object to the ones that kill your relatives, other people dont matter. fair enough you have a reason to hate falun gong but dont expect your simple "they kill people" argument to convince anyone else given the extent of killing you turn a blind eye to.

(as a side point a do agree with you that the popular view of the nazis has been significantly exaggerated but would argue that it was necessary for the generations involved to be able to make a clear distinction and move on without too much lingering resentment. hopefully when everyone directly involved is long dead and the topic isnt dominated so much by emotion historians will be able to identify this massive bias and rectify it)

Collin

HSC
N/A
He's not trying to convince people to hate Falun Gong. He's simply concerned that the money which comes out of his pockets are funding Falun Gong protests/support initiatives. I think that's damn reasonable. I know I certainly don't want any of my compulsory fees going towards countless stupid political protests, or support for cults like Falun Gong. But hey, I won't have to worry about that anymore since it won't be necessary for me to pay fees next year. I look forward to spending that extra money on food and rent.

veridis

droog
HSC
but people haven't taken objection to his call for them not to recieve funding, merely to his calling them an evil cult, a terrorist organisation and his use of chinese propaganda. hence my being unsure what exactly we're arguing about anymore. nobody seems to be reading at all.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
As a student, and SRC Councillor, I am concerned that student funds have, in the past, been used to support groups like the PLO and Falun Gong. I am especially opposed to this, because this money has been provided by students without their consent. If we know about it, but don't oppose it, then in my opinion the blood of the dead is as much on our hands as it is on those in the cult.

But I am not just a USYD student. I oppose the SRC supporting Falun Gong not just as a student, but also as a person who has seen friends and family suffer at their hands. My personal belief is that Falun Gong should be eradicated, and I have no problem with my student fees supporting Anti-Falun Gong groups - but I do not believe that any other student should be forced to support me or my causes, just as I don't believe any other student should be forced to support Pro-Falun Gong groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)