Usyd to Mac? (1 Viewer)

cheekoo

HSC
Hey,

I'm a current USyd student but I'm soon going to enrol at Macquarie...I'm still a bit unsure and don't know what to expect, and a lot of people are telling me that I should stay at USyd (mostly because of the "prestige" aspect). I'm going to be studying media, and I know that prestige doesn't really matter...but I'm in need of some reassurance from a current Macquarie student. What's campus life like there? And is it difficult to make friends?

will90211

HSC
Trust the USyd students to bang on about prestige.

Macquarie is very relaxed. My friends who go to USyd dress in a particular way: that sneering hipster look, top collar done up etc etc. None of that here, the people are laid back, you'll make friends fast and you'll love the train station. Mac Uni has a lot of social spaces and of course the shopping centre so socially we're great. No idea about media, although I know they have their own building with a sound studio etc.

Hatake88

HSC
lol @ the people at usyd banging on about the "prestige" factor (especially since most tend to be arts students or people who barely got in).

btw, what subject you doing? I am transferring from usyd to mac as well (so together, we can critique mac students in our indie flannel shirts :tongue:)

cheekoo

HSC
Omg, that's awesome! Yay, finally I found someone else as well! I'm gonna be doing BA-Media, what about you? :)

cheekoo

HSC
Ah yes, I know that look. :p Well I've generally heard that as well, that people are friendlier at Mac. I also think the campus is really beautiful - one thing that annoyed me about USyd was all the roads I had to cross in order to get to class, and all the cars everywhere. I like that Mac feels more...peaceful.

spence

HSC
I transferred from USyd to Mac, the people and social life seems to be basically the same

Hatake88

HSC
Ah yes, I know that look. :p Well I've generally heard that as well, that people are friendlier at Mac. I also think the campus is really beautiful - one thing that annoyed me about USyd was all the roads I had to cross in order to get to class, and all the cars everywhere. I like that Mac feels more...peaceful.
PM'd you cheekoo :)

Yeah, that's the first thing I notice too. Loads of trees and space!

cheekoo

HSC
Hey Hatake88, I PM'd you but I don't know if you got my messages cus the site keeps logging me out :(

Proteus

HSC
Essentially how I feel too.

Prestige DOES matter to an extent, but marks are also very important.

better_than_you

HSC
Prestige DOES matter to an extent, but marks are also very important.
Not really in media. Law or medicine, maybe very marginally depending on the employer. Banking and finance definitely. But not really in media.

bangladesh

HSC
Not really in media. Law or medicine, maybe very marginally depending on the employer. Banking and finance definitely. But not really in media.
lol. prestige doesn't matter at all in medicine. It does matter a fair bit in law but I'd say it also matters a lot in media.. However as some people said, marks are more important that prestige and if you really know your stuff, you'll get a job no matter what uni you've studied at

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)