USYD Vs MQU - B of Science (1 Viewer)

DheerChoudhury

HSC
So basically right I'm wanting to eventually study as an astrophysicist, which will be obtained by an undergrad in science with majors in Physics. I've received offers to both unis but am tossing up between them.

USYD
- Course is a B of Science with a major in Phys. One interesting thing is that if somehow I can achieve an HD throughout the course, I can skip the Masters' and go straight to a fully-funded PhD.
- Travel is averaging around 1 hour
- Worried about the culture and social setting I keep hearing. Can anyone inform me of this?

MQU
- Course is also a B of Science, but with a major in Astronomy and Astrophysics. This was attractive when I researched this with my careers adviser, as it's obviously much more tailored to my specific line of study.
- Travel is also averaging around 1 hour (but it's involving buses which in my experience have always been a pain due to not being punctual)

Honestly, I'm likely good with either, but it's just the selection of one or the other...

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you're long term goal is to go into PhD you should aim to do an Honours year in your degree. It's the closest thjng to doing a PhD that you can experience while as an undergrad

DheerChoudhury

HSC
If you're long term goal is to go into PhD you should aim to do an Honours year in your degree. It's the closest thjng to doing a PhD that you can experience while as an undergrad
Yeah that was definitely something I was considering doing, as it offers a lot of practical benefits. However, my offers are simply bachelor's of science without honours. Perhaps a silly question, but can I apply for an honours year within the course?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah that was definitely something I was considering doing, as it offers a lot of practical benefits. However, my offers are simply bachelor's of science without honours. Perhaps a silly question, but can I apply for an honours year within the course?
You will have to look closely at your degrees if that is offered. Maybe try call up the uni if there is a help line about degrees and that matter. If it's not offered you probably need to do a masters before the PhD.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Would suggest visiting both the Macquarie and USYD campus.

If we are rating outdoors campus then my personal feelings are Macquarie > USYD.

The largest outdoor sculpture park in the southern hemisphere may play into that though ;)

dasfas

HSC
If you want to go PhD, I recommend USYD. idk about MQU, but USYD has a lot of research opportunities. I got involved in my second sem of first year with very little problems. You will want to get as much experience as possible if you want to do research.

DheerChoudhury

HSC
If you want to go PhD, I recommend USYD. idk about MQU, but USYD has a lot of research opportunities. I got involved in my second sem of first year with very little problems. You will want to get as much experience as possible if you want to do research.
Could you clarify by "got involved"? Do you mean you can start your own individual mini-projects earlier on?

dasfas

HSC
Could you clarify by "got involved"? Do you mean you can start your own individual mini-projects earlier on?
As in you volunteer in a lab. Whether on not you get to do your own project depends on your PI. Typically no, you'd just be assisting with another project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)