UTS Medical Science vs UNSW Medical Science (1 Viewer)

tam89

HSC
Anyone studying medical science at UTS? How are the facilities there? Is it good? Also, job prospects.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
well building 4 (science faculty at UTS) should be finished by nows :) new labs and everything for new students to enjoy :)

as for which degree is better, i would say its a lesser point as you will come out of either course as a scientist (most likely looking forward to post grad work)- uni is what you make of it.

i think major elements into the decision making should be other factors like travel and prospects of picking up other subjects or maybe transfering. for instance at uts i know you could transfer into a double degree for your course/Barts in int studies...

i havnt met anyone who does med sci at unsw- so i wont comment...either way med sci at both unis means similar hours, types of people, subjects and frustration :p

anyways - youre a 2006er and dont really have to think about this until your hsc finishes

tam89

HSC
Oh ok. Thanks for your help. Yea... kinda bored atm.. just thinking of backup preferences to joint down.

aussiechica7

HSC
if i got into unsw med sci, i'd take that over uts. unsw is one of the most elite unis in australia.

however, the uai for unsw med sci. is likely 2 rise b/c it is being offered as a backup course if u don't get into med (people will b able 2 take the course, finish their honours, then go straight into 4th yr of med at unsw). up 2 u.

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
unsw. elite uni? yes

Practicability of Science? no where as close as UTS

UTS is renowed for its practicability in its science courses, alot of employees know that.

adrian_1522

HSC
Panda Bear said:
unsw. elite uni? yes

Practicability of Science? no where as close as UTS

UTS is renowed for its practicability in its science courses, alot of employees know that.

Cool...I can't decide between UTS B Med. Sci/B Business or UNSW B Med. Sci

I'm leaning towards UTS now...but i need to be won over. Why should I pick UTS over UNSW?

Panda Bear

arab chicks? :|
HSC
its your own choice, however since i go to UTS I'll be biased :p

A double degree however gives you a bit more "knowledge" so to say than a straight degree, i.e. it doens't restrict you. I say this because with science, its a bit competitive in the workforce so having a combined degree is a bonus.

Well I dunno.. if you want to take the train to central then wait for the bus to UNSW, pick unsw :p if you want to take the train and walk to uni, take uts :p

sandz_2

HSC
Hi Panda Bear, i just finished my HSC this year and i am considering my uni preferences at UTS for B Science and B Science/Business double degree. Would you be able to get me any sort of insight between these two courses on which is better.. practicality between the courses.. whether they are interesting or not.. and what majors are interesting to do.. if you can answer any of these Qs regarding B science or even B medical sci, it would be a lot of help! =)

chrispycreme

HSC
Hey sandz and everyone else,

Is B Science/B Business taken in both Kuring-gai and City campuses? I saw this in the UAC guide and am a bit confused. Other courses say either City or K, but this one says both. Is it a hassle getting to K?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
it could be that you attend both campuses throughout each semester

UTS offers a private shuttle bus between campuses i think every hr. otherwise most student buy weekly or whatever train tickets. it shouldnt be too much of a hassle i would think, but i cant really say as all my subjects for Bsci is in the city

rocafella32

HSC
Hey hows it going people

Im in the same boat as a lot of you, but i cant decide between B Med Sci/ B Bus OR B Sci/B Bus
I was wondering if anyone whos done a double degree before, where their two courses are totally different (Business and Science) can tell me if its really as challanging as it sounds. It gonna be like doing chem and 3u M for the HSC except 10X harder, isnt it?

Also i was lost like everyone else on the City/Kurangai thingy
However ive heard that app. they offer you the course in both places, and you choose whats closer, but if anyone knows the real info, can you please fill us in before jan4th lol

and YAY for B Med Sci/ B Bus UTS

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
personally i would choose sci over med sci as there are more options in regards to which subjects u would like to study. in med sci degrees you have to follow a more rigid course outline

rocafella32

HSC
thanks thejosiekiller...you make a valid point about having more subjects to choose from, but when i was looking at the subjects today, science had some really boring ones such as forensics...i think med sci is the way to go for me...i really like the physcological aspect of it

sandz_2

HSC
hey guys thx for your advice.. i think i'm leaning towards B sci since i always wanted do it from the start..
Goodluck everyone for Jan 17th!

fr3ddy8

HSC
I am also considering UTS's courses. My UAI is 85.45 and at the moment my first preference is medical science at UNSW. If i was accepted into medical science I was thinking of transferring to pharmacy or something that doesn't really lead to research as a career. But many people are expecting the cut-off for UNSW to rise so UTS is my next choice because my UAI isn't high enough for USYD. And now that I'm considering UTS's medical science, I might as well do a combined degree (medical science/business or science/business) because it doesn't lead to research.
My question is, can i still transfer to pharmacy if i don't like the combined degree?
Thanks.

rocafella32

HSC
yeah you can and the business really helps since becoming a pharmacist is also like running a business...my question is your UAI is 85.45, mine is 85.95 and i also want med sci/bus at UTS, which is a cut off of 85.3...im pretty scared i wont make it through the cut off this year, as i think the combined degrees gonna rise...arent you biting your nails?, or u confident that youll get into the degree since

Basically im trying to gauge if the people think the degree is going to rise this year by more than 0.7 points

fr3ddy8

HSC
yep i'm scared too.. as my top 5 preferences is 85+ cutoff.
what are your preferences?
mine is:
1. med. science @ unsw 85
2. med. science @ usyd 94
3. med. science/business @ uts 85.25
4. science/business @ uts 84.55
5. med. science @ uts 85.20
6. science @ unsw 73.00

so yeah theres 4 courses that i could of went to last year. hopefully they wont rise that much..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)