UTS VS MQ - which is harder... (1 Viewer)

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Which uni is harder for graduating in commerce.

i want to graduate from mq in the bachelor of commerce - professional accounting, if i put in the hours and treat it as full time work say 40 hours, would i be able to understand the course if i am an average in intellect?

patty4848

HSC
stupid thread. Nobody here can honestly tell you the answer. If you don't want to put the work in, don't even bother going to uni. If you are... then do whichever course you want to do.

akqjt

HSC
Macquarie is not rigorous at all - the stories I've heard first hand from people that attend there make me think the whole G8 vs non-G8 argument has some weight to it.

UTS, I assume, must be harder, although compared to UNSW I would say it's softer but I can't tell you how much (don't know).

I'm basing my opinion on the numerous people I know who attend these universities. I can see how hard they work, how naturally bright they are and what marks they achieve.

Monstar

HSC
Macquarie is not rigorous at all - the stories I've heard first hand from people that attend there make me think the whole G8 vs non-G8 argument has some weight to it.

UTS, I assume, must be harder, although compared to UNSW I would say it's softer but I can't tell you how much (don't know).

I'm basing my opinion on the numerous people I know who attend these universities. I can see how hard they work, how naturally bright they are and what marks they achieve.
Theres a guy who went to macq to unsw and he thinks MQ is harder than UNSW.. so..

that being said, MQ's rep isn't as good as UNSW or Syd.. some may argue its better than UTS but I'm not really sure. So what you're getting is a degree which is arguably harder but less prestige..BUT the general consensus amongst employers is that UNSW/Usyd are superior. fuck off mq and try uts...its all about what employers think/gauge rather than what students think.

Then again MQ's double degree is what attracts most kids..But its stupid. In 4 years you can
a)complete a degree
b)choose to do honours

Honours> double degree .. ask any bulge bracket bank, big 4 accg etc. Ofc other factors such as personality and general aptitude are important but i think if you can hold a conversation thats the personality shit lock down.

Hope this helps.

akqjt

HSC
Theres a guy who went to macq to unsw and he thinks MQ is harder than UNSW.. so..

that being said, MQ's rep isn't as good as UNSW or Syd.. some may argue its better than UTS but I'm not really sure. So what you're getting is a degree which is arguably harder but less prestige..BUT the general consensus amongst employers is that UNSW/Usyd are superior. fuck off mq and try uts...its all about what employers think/gauge rather than what students think.

Then again MQ's double degree is what attracts most kids..But its stupid. In 4 years you can
a)complete a degree
b)choose to do honours

Honours> double degree .. ask any bulge bracket bank, big 4 accg etc. Ofc other factors such as personality and general aptitude are important but i think if you can hold a conversation thats the personality shit lock down.

Hope this helps.
I don't mean to start an e-fight, but I find it hard to believe MQ is harder than UNSW (don't know about USYD). I've seen assessments first hand for equivalent subject I've done at UNSW. Anyway, not going to say more on the topic.

I don't think anyone considers Macquarie's "Double Degree" of Accounting and Applied Finance as a true double degree - just common sense.

Monstar

HSC
I don't mean to start an e-fight, but I find it hard to believe MQ is harder than UNSW (don't know about USYD). I've seen assessments first hand for equivalent subject I've done at UNSW. Anyway, not going to say more on the topic.

I don't think anyone considers Macquarie's "Double Degree" of Accounting and Applied Finance as a true double degree - just common sense.
Fair enough. Its pointless its basically on guy's word against another. Yeah unfortunately i fell for their marketing ploy.. siiiigh if i had a time machine.

Just curious though which was the subject?

Last edited:

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Thanks for replies,

Well i dont have that high of a ambition wanting to go to usyd or unsw nor waste more time to get required marks. I just want a degree from a good uni with decent rep graduate in 3 years and get CPA and earn decent salary of $80k in todays dollar before i am 32, im 24 now.

I need to put in the hours obviously because i aint young anymore, i am 24 now! turning 25 this year, kinda look back and tell myself how easy the hsc really was compared to what i am studying at the moment to be honest. Because hsc u had 5 or 6 subjects covered in a whole year! compared to say 5 subjects in 1 semester >_< when i look at the resources available for hsc, tell myself i should have developed the work ethic i have now back in high school (no point looking back now). Seriously kids doing hsc this year should study hard, and get in uni they have so much more advantage over people like me.

Anyway back to topic, so you guys think mq is easier than uts? Never been to uni so kind of worried.... i applied for SIBT today and probably getting 6 months exemption from tafe work.

Also is it right, i can do say 3 3 2 subjects in 3 semesters rather than doing 4 4 subjects in 2 semesters but more holiday? I think i will pick the 3 semester option from 2nd year forward.

dude01

HSC
Anyway back to topic, so you guys think mq is easier than uts? Never been to uni so kind of worried.... i applied for SIBT today and probably getting 6 months exemption from tafe work.
From what I've heard from friends, MQ seems harder than UTS. Simply because a lot of the people I know that do MQ commerce seem to have failed a subject or two.

Honestly, just go to UWS if you're that worried about not getting through uni. You learn the same stuff, but you're more likely to pass everything there. And if you get experience in the field and be proactive with your career, going to UWS won't disadvantage you as much as going to MQ and getting heaps of fails on your transcript. It will also save you heaps of money as SIBT is a ripoff.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
From my personal network I perceive MQ to be relatively hard and UTS relatively easy.

This is based mostly on accounting coursework so this could differ for other faculties.

That said within any Commerce/Business degree, I know in UNSW at least degrees can be much easier or harder depending on the elective courses taken.

E.g. taking Corporate Governance and Banking Financial Management are WAM boosters versus the poor saps doing Options pricing etc.

I can only assume that this is the same case with other universities so my personal recommendation, if you're aiming simply for a 'decent' comfortable job, is to go to the university that you find the easiest to get to and then put some time into meeting other students from that uni and uncovering which courses are the ones to take (or to avoid).

E.g. take part in peer mentoring programs, socials where you can meet 2nd or 3rd years, etc. etc.

omgd.

HSC
N/A
I go to uts, and im a first year so i dont know much, still getting used to this uni thing. but i do law and business combined. my friends at usyd, unsw and one at mac are both a few topics behind us for eco and accounting, i dont know exactly what that means, all i can put together is that our midsem must be more difficult than theirs since weve covered more topics in the same amount of time? but then again as i said im new this, so yeah.

sickk

HSC
well from what i heard usyd has econ broken into 2, micro (1sem) and macro (1sem)

so they may be "a little behind" maybe because they go more in depth or something, cause they have half as much content to cover as us (@ uts)

but maybe they dont go into more depth too, not sure

i think we move pretty fast at uts to be honest though,...

sean1990

HSC
this is a stupid arguement.

If your willing to do the work then you will get through the course at any university.

I don't think you will find any university is harder than any other.

And you 40 hours of work a week, if you did that in a commerce degree I think you'd probably be doing twice as much work as anyone else...at least in 1st and 2nd year.

HSC
well from what i heard usyd has econ broken into 2, micro (1sem) and macro (1sem)

so they may be "a little behind" maybe because they go more in depth or something, cause they have half as much content to cover as us (@ uts)

but maybe they dont go into more depth too, not sure

i think we move pretty fast at uts to be honest though,...
i have a friend at wollongong who said that they have it split up into two subjects. i prefer it the way uts does it, i don't have to sit through two boring eco subjects that way.

theaussieinhk

HSC
I recently completed an internship at a Big 4 accounting firm and received an early graduate offer. I am from Macquarie Uni.

I think Accounting in easy once you understand it.

Talking to interns from UTS/UNSW/USYD they studied a lot of audit theory whereas at MQ it was very practical where we were given a situation and applied Audit procedures, identified errors and so forth. I remember UTS interns saying that they learned definitions (whereas at MQ we went further than definitions). This was apparent during training when the UTS interns gave text book answers (literally reciting the specific audit definition). Although their memory was most impressive, they were asked to give a real answer.

One thing I liked about Accounting at MQ is that its practical and it is all about understanding rather than remember definitions. There is so much to do at MQ and it is really flexible and you will become well rounded if you take the opportunity to be active. For example, going on exchange (everyone receives a 2000-4000 grant depending where you go), Global Leadership Program, Global Futures Program (volunteer overseas) and so much more.

During the internship, most people were from MQ and UNSW (around equal in numbers) and USYD and UTS were the minority. Even the employees assumed I was from MQ because there are so many MQ students in the firm.

All the MQ guys I knew got a graduate offer/ early graduate offer.

Monstar

HSC
I recently completed an internship at a Big 4 accounting firm and received an early graduate offer. I am from Macquarie Uni.

I think Accounting in easy once you understand it.

Talking to interns from UTS/UNSW/USYD they studied a lot of audit theory whereas at MQ it was very practical where we were given a situation and applied Audit procedures, identified errors and so forth. I remember UTS interns saying that they learned definitions (whereas at MQ we went further than definitions). This was apparent during training when the UTS interns gave text book answers (literally reciting the specific audit definition). Although their memory was most impressive, they were asked to give a real answer.

One thing I liked about Accounting at MQ is that its practical and it is all about understanding rather than remember definitions. There is so much to do at MQ and it is really flexible and you will become well rounded if you take the opportunity to be active. For example, going on exchange (everyone receives a 2000-4000 grant depending where you go), Global Leadership Program, Global Futures Program (volunteer overseas) and so much more.

During the internship, most people were from MQ and UNSW (around equal in numbers) and USYD and UTS were the minority. Even the employees assumed I was from MQ because there are so many MQ students in the firm.

All the MQ guys I knew got a graduate offer/ early graduate offer.
Sounds like your a marketing guy for the uni.

theaussieinhk

HSC
Sounds like your a marketing guy for the uni.
Not a marketing guy at MQ uni.

Just someone that has worked his butt off and telling you what I saw and what I heard.

Btw, the stuff I mentioned about the extra curricular activities I have done, except for volunteering overseas (which I want to do at the end of this year).

If you have any doubts or questions I am more than happy to answer them.

fishfingerz

HSC
why don't you just apply for a transfer to either uni? and then decide for yourself which one is better. In the end you'll see it's UTS :p

frauelize

HSC
My good friend transferred from UNSW to MQ.

His GPA in UNSW is 3+, In MQ he got 2 something...

so well idk :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)