uv catastrophe (1 Viewer)

kheir

HSC
wat is the uv catastrophe the fact that the radiation energy released continues to increase infinitly breakin g the law of conservation of energy or the fact thatthe experimental results did not comply with the classical theory

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
o Identify Planck’s hypothesis that radiation emitted and absorbed by the walls of a black body cavity is quantised. (discrete as opposed to continuous)
All objects at a temperature above absolute zero emit ‘thermal’ radiation.
The properties of this radiation depend on the temperature and the material from which the object is made from.
At low temperatures, objects emit infrared radiation and at higher temperatures they emit visible light.
The radiation consists of a continuos distribution of wavelengths from infrared to visible and ultraviolet.
Classical physics determined that radiation originates from thermally accelerated charges. This distribution of accelerations accounts for the continuous spectrum of the radiation.
A black body absorbs all radiation incident on it and reflects none. A cavity in a solid block is a good approximation. A small hole allows radiation to escape for spectroscopic analysis. The properties of this radiation depend only on the temperature and not the material from which the block is made.
It was thought that the energy absorbed and emitted by a black body should be continuous, that is, could occur in any amount, and should increase as the wavelength became shorter. This was not supported by the experimental data as shown in the sketch. The amount of energy radiated reaches a maximum at a wavelength that depends on the temperature of the black body.
Rayleigh and Jeans, in attempt to explain the shape of the curves, derived an equation for black body radiation that suggested that at low wavelengths (high frequencies) the energy density approaches infinity. Historically, the grossly unrealistic prediction at high (ultraviolet) frequencies became known as the “ultraviolet catastrophe”.
Planck suggested that radiation was emitted or absorbed by a black body in discrete quanta (packets of energy) (now known as photons) rather than continuously, as suggested by classical physics. This daring hypothesis led to the successful explanation of the shape of the energy density curves for black body radiation. With time and the contributions of many physicists, Planck’s hypothesis led to the development of a whole new branch of Physics called Quantum Physics.
The size of each quantum of energy is characteristic of the frequency of light emitted.

kheir

HSC
thnx for the help by the way would u know how the quantum theory explains the shape of the graphs obtained or would thta be beyond the realms of our syllabus

ashtor

HSC
realms?...limitations for education should not exist kheir, you can study on whatever level you enjoy as the scope of the syllabus is not really defined

kheir

HSC
i completely agree with you elachker however the realms we must persue must be realistic we have a set time to complete the sylllabus unfortunatelly we havent got time to i ndulge in the which is beyond the relams of our syllabus

ashtor

HSC
I dont mean to discourage you kheir, nor do i mean to embarass you in any way, but please try to make more sense when responding to sensible statements. Its obvious that you have recently discovered the word 'realm', and so have decided to put it in places where it is totally inapplicable.

tempco

HSC
don't mind them.. they just found a new toy to play with.. hopefully, it'll die out.

kheir

HSC
ashtor , ive recently been folowing ur responses and have found thta they are not only misleading but also insignificant i do not mena to discourage you either, i feel as though you engage in thoughtless conversations and unfortunately i have been dragged down by one of these as well. however ive decided to ignore you from now on be cause thats the right way to deal with ppl like you
Ps i would not be responding to any extensions to this topic as it has become an irrelevant cycle of jibberish

wahashtini

ayri feek, ya chhhhhhhhhaaaaaabbbbbbbyyyyy "jibberish"
A3jeeeebiiiiiiii, where'd u get that from (must be from slarke, mahak)

hSc_n00plar

err... seeing as the original question has been answered.. someone close this before it gets ugly

chingyloke

Ex-Prince of Manchester.
HSC
"Ultraviolet Catastrophe"

sounds far too dramatic imo.

toadcat

HSC
I !think! it has to do with the graph which is based upon classical physics which shows that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases (due to C= f x lambda) however this doesn't make sense because you could have a wavelength of zero and have infinite energy. Therefore they needed something else to explain black body radiation - photons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)