Uws Law Students Association By-election (1 Viewer)

Jonathan A

HSC
Hi All,

This is predominately for members of the Law Students' Association at UWS.

On Monday 10 April 2006, there will be an election at Campbelltown Campus at the Law School Building. I would like to notify that I am running for the position of Vice President for Parramatta and seek your support.

I am running in a team of committed law students who are seeking professionalism and promotion of our law school and our Association.

Our team is:

Jonathan Adamopoulos for Vice President - Parramatta
Mariam Azzo for Social Director - Parramatta
Benjamin Kwon for Sponsorship Officer - Parramatta

Our team comes with experience and initative. Mariam and I have been extensively organising the Roxy Party on Wednesday which is not only beneficial to students, but our reputation, given our campaigns are going well at other unis. Benjamin Kwon is keen on sponsorship deal for our Association to ensure our funding will suffice.

I am currently careers officer for Parramatta and in my time have done the following:
  • Organising the Roxy Party
  • Organised the Foundations of Law Tour for UWS students
  • Campaigned hard against PLT closure
  • Prepared the Bail Application for O-Day with Mariam and Jennifer
  • Assisted on O-Day at Parramatta Campus
  • Constant Liaison with Campbelltown Campus
  • Constant contact such as Law Careers Fair

If elected I am hoping to work on our big achievements at Mooting Comps and our reputation. The LSA needs a team who is not going to join-in on political campaigns, not going to focus entirely on complaints, rather a team committed to ensuring a smooth transition into the Legal Profession with oppurtunity. I also have plans for a Symposium next semester at Parramatta in comemoration of one our judges.

Please contact me if you would like more info. All you have to do is show up 10 April and vote or you can proxy.

Thank you

(Please ask any questions)

donkeydrop

HSC
hi Jonathan,

Is there an alternative method of voting cause its an effort for me to get to my classes at Parra, so it will be double effort to get to Campo?

Just wondering, when you become Vice-President of LSS, can you use ur enthusiasm that you show in every Contracts Law class, to try and convince UWS to have LECTURES for Law subjects.

I believe having for example 2 hour lecture lets say for my "favourite" Contracts Law will actually benefit the students. Timothy is pretty good teacher and he does make this subject a bit exciting but:

1. he gets carried away with his jokes
2. he hardly writes anything on the board.

I believe lectures can provide students with a brief overview of the topic and cases, as well as notes. I understand that its our responsibility to prepare case summaries but i dont think having a rough understanding of case will discourage student from doing a his/her brief.

yours truly, donkeydrop:wave:

Last edited:

Jonathan A

HSC
Hi Donkeydrop!

Alas, I was voted in as Vice President yesterday.

As for the lectures, I also like the idea of lectures. However, apparently research into education has found the seminar-mode tuition is much more effective in learning. I would probably agree, it gives students a more open forum in learning. I would have reservations only the degree where focus and direction is needed. I agree contracts definantely needs lectures in that there are so many ifs and buts. However, even at USyd LPAB, where I went before, the lecturer preferred to use seminar-mode for the purpose of answering questions and told everyone to read prior. I know it gets hard with having a 40 UOC workload though.

donkeydrop

HSC
mate,

something needs to be done. I couldnt hear half of what people are saying at today's class. Makes it even harder when Timmy chatting up to chicks in the front row and tries to find a person who actually did a brief. ahahahah

yeah, ive read that bullshit too in contracts seminar guide, regarding the seminar-mode tuition.

L

LaraB

donkeydrop said:
mate,

something needs to be done. I couldnt hear half of what people are saying at today's class. Makes it even harder when Timmy chatting up to chicks in the front row and tries to find a person who actually did a brief. ahahahah

yeah, ive read that bullshit too in contracts seminar guide, regarding the seminar-mode tuition.

If uws started using lecture format it's just another thing that would lead to bagging of the course...

Lectures or seminars are equally crap - it depends on your teacher... Tim get really side tracked easily so i get a feeling that if it was a lecture format it wouldn't be anymore useful...

BUt then there's teacher's like Simon who if it was lecture format, wouldn't be as good teachers coz they're good coz there's so much interaction and stuff... so a change could actally be bad...:p

Jonathan A

HSC
You are right in many regards. If you have a problem with a lecturer, you need to go to the uni about it. Personally I find Tim to be very knowledgable in contracts and provide a very thorough look on the relevant area. What's hard about law is that we have a lot of cases to look through an brief and this can be problematic in seminar-mode.

L

LaraB

Jonathan A said:
You are right in many regards. If you have a problem with a lecturer, you need to go to the uni about it. Personally I find Tim to be very knowledgable in contracts and provide a very thorough look on the relevant area. What's hard about law is that we have a lot of cases to look through an brief and this can be problematic in seminar-mode.
i don't have a problem with tim so i have no idea why you mentioned that....

yes we have a lot of cases - but if you do your work each week it's not a problem. The only people who seem to whinge about not being "spoon fed" info like a lectre woul are the ones who don't do their work so it's not exactly a good standard to go by...

= Jennifer =

HSC
LOL i like the people who ask how to do the assignment...or who ask let's make a hypothetical situation which is similar to the assessment :p

Jonathan A

HSC
LaraB said:
i don't have a problem with tim so i have no idea why you mentioned that....

yes we have a lot of cases - but if you do your work each week it's not a problem. The only people who seem to whinge about not being "spoon fed" info like a lectre woul are the ones who don't do their work so it's not exactly a good standard to go by...

Sorry, never said you had a problem with Tim, I was referring to Donkeydrop. My error in not being more specific.

Vahl

HSC
Hey: How can I join the Law Students Association, I've emailed past office holders and the *@uws emails listed, but I have not received any replies - and I've been doing this for over a month now.

Jonathan A

HSC
Our website is www.uwslsa.com.

Which campus are you on? If you are on Parramatta, you can go through me. If you are on Campbelltown, you can contact the Campbelltown committee.

Vahl

HSC
Jonathan A said:
Our website is www.uwslsa.com.

Which campus are you on? If you are on Parramatta, you can go through me. If you are on Campbelltown, you can contact the Campbelltown committee.
I am at Parramatta, and therefore would like to go through you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)