UWS Medicine 2007 (2 Viewers)

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
hmm...i'm glad i came on here, i was trying to find UWS info on their site but didn't come up with much.

it's a little bit poo that it's located where it is - no offence to people that live in the area, but i would rather not live there (and since i hate travel i will want to live close to uni/hospitals).

so Newcastle and Perth are still winning so far ;)
especially if i can somehow wangle some RPL for a couple of 1st year subjects at UNCLE

foxydena

HSC
Just thought I'd update on news about UWS medicine

08/04/06

School of Medicine
Welcome
Mission and Objectives
Progress Update
Academic Staff Recruitment
Community Engagement
Locations
More Information

Welcome
Message from the Foundation Dean

Welcome to the School of Medicine, part of the College of Health and Science at the University of Western Sydney.

The UWS School of Medicine will educate tomorrow’s doctors in a way that is contemporary and highly relevant to their eventual medical careers. The School of Medicine is a new school and our first students are due to commence in February/March 2007, provided the school has completed the final stage of accreditation by the Australian Medical Council (AMC) at its November 2006 meeting. The school successfully negotiated the first of the AMC’s two stages for accreditation of a new medical school in July 2005.

The school (at this stage) is offering a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) http://www.uws.edu.au/download.php?...urse_Information.pdf&mimetype=application/pdf. (PDF, 409Kb) course.

Medical schools also have the important responsibility of pushing the boundaries of knowledge about health and illness through research. We will encourage research in many areas. Basic science studies aimed at understanding the biological basis of body function and the mechanisms of diseases will be undertaken in the new laboratories being built on the Campbelltown campus. Clinical and population research will occur in the many hospital and community settings with which the school will interface. For example, in 2005 UWS entered a partnership with NSW Health and established a research unit headed by Professor Beverley Raphael to investigate the mental health issues associated with disasters, terrorism and other large-scale adverse events, including both preparedness and response.

The School of Medicine will make a difference to health care in the complex urban environment of Greater Western Sydney (GWS) and well beyond. I encourage you to revisit this website as the school is in its developmental stage, for the latest information about the admissions process, the assembly of high calibre staff, the rollout of what will be an innovative curriculum and other news.

Neville Yeomans
MD, FRACP, FACG
Foundation Dean

^ Back to top

Mission and Objectives
Our mission is to create a school of international repute that produces highly skilled and adaptable medical graduates. They will be well equipped to move to the next stage of their training as interns, and for eventual practice in a wide range of situations; and many will have acquired an enduring commitment to the health and population of Greater Western Sydney and nearby under-serviced areas.

The school’s objectives are to:

produce competent and adaptable medical practitioners with a strong learning ethic based on a sound platform that will equip them well for their further training and future roles as doctors
contribute to the medical workforce growth in NSW and the retention of doctors in Greater Western Sydney
enhance the quality and accessibility of health care across the region through providing service where there is most need and by boosting the research effort in Sydney’s South West particularly, but across Greater Western Sydney more generally.
Medical graduates of the University of Western Sydney will be distinguished by:

a passion for, and appreciation of the importance of, lifelong learning
a strong commitment to the professional attitudes and performance expected of medical practitioners
a well developed understanding of, and the ability to implement, safe working practices
the ability to work effectively and cooperatively in multi-disciplinary teams
a well developed ability to work with patients with ongoing long-term illness, across the continuum of community, primary and secondary care
a heightened awareness of the rewards of working in under-served areas.
^ Back to top

Progress Update
We have passed the first stage of accreditation by the Australian Medical Council (AMC).
The School of Medicine 'base' is being built at Campbelltown campus and will include medical research facilities.
UWS will make a significant contribution to staffing at Campbelltown and Camden Hospitals, fostering excellence in health service delivery and drawing on the teaching and research potential at those hospitals.
Co-location of facilities with the proposed Health Research Institute NSW at Liverpool will be critical for attracting clinical academics and postgraduate trainees. UWS will aim to create a research and clinical precinct there. The focus of the research there is likely to be non-laboratory based, but the details are yet to be worked through.
UWS will focus on Greater Western Sydney (GWS) students and build the future GWS medical workforce. Student access to the school, time to graduate (5 years), and hence cost, are relevant issues we considered in designing the course.
Medical student numbers in clinical settings will double across GWS from 2009 onwards. A multi-site model is required for clinical placements. We will negotiate with NSW Health, the University of NSW and the University of Sydney to ensure clinical teaching facilities across the region are equitably shared. The NSW Government has given an undertaking that these facilities will be shared.
Collaboration with other universities and area health services will be pursued for health service improvement, research synergies and to create critical mass in the medical workforce.
The school will take advantage of interdisciplinary teaching. UWS is well placed to team teach nursing, allied health and medical students.
We will ensure the new School of Medicine benefits UWS’s other health-related disciplines by creating on-campus synergies in teaching and research with those disciplines.
Student online learning will be facilitated so that any UWS library or computer lab across the University's six campuses will be available for medical students to access the curriculum materials.
^ Back to top

Academic Staff Recruitment
UWS is actively recruiting academic staff to join our team. Throughout 2006 as key professorial positions are filled, we will be searching for senior lecturers, lecturers and associate lecturers.

If you are interested in professorial or lectureship opportunities, please contact the Dean through our main contact phone number, (02) 4620 3304, or send your CV with a full publication list to medschool@uws.edu.au. While recruitment for some positions will not begin until mid 2006, we would be happy to register your interest on our database.

We will also be recruiting:

tutors
demonstrators
simulated patients (people to act as patients)
community members and health professionals, to assist us with student interviews.
^ Back to top

Community Engagement
Our community engagement strategy includes forming a community council. However, we also want to develop a network of friends and supporters in the community who would like to receive regular updates about the school, or contribute to our many processes, or assist in other practical ways. Here are just some of the possible avenues for involvement:

be trained as an interviewer and help us to select our students
be an actor in a simulated clinical situation
provide accommodation for a student on a clinical placement, or if you live in Macarthur, provide accommodation for first and second year students who may be looking for housing close to our main campus
be a community mentor or a point of reference for a student, either in relation to a community health issue or more broadly
help to develop or participate in a community orientation program for students
assist in developing and reviewing our curriculum
become a community member on either of our school management committees or assist with processes e.g. evaluation of our students’ community competencies.
If you would like to get involved, please contact the School of Medicine. Throughout 2006 the various activities will develop and your involvement and interest will help to ensure the school is relevant to its community.

^ Back to top

Locations
The School of Medicine offers programs at Campbelltown campus. Scientific Collaboration for Investigation of Mental Health and Adversity (SCIMHA) Research Unit is on Parramatta campus. For information about other programs in the College of Health and Science, please see the College of Health and Science course directory.

^ Back to top

More Information
Related Links
http://www.uws.edu.au/about/acadorg/schools/medicine/keypeople Key People
http://www.uws.edu.au/about/acadorg/schools/medicine/courses Courses
http://www.uws.edu.au/about/acadorg/schools/medicine/research Research
http://www.uws.edu.au/about/acadorg/schools/medicine/contactus Contact Us

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Good--good to get more doctors out there in the workforce. Since USYD's medicine is virtually non-existent in terms of numbers (they only take in 10 per year, I heard, and starting with B.Sc. instead of MBBS straight away), UNCLE's too far and UNSW's too competitive, I think UWS' introduction of a MBBS course is gonna be a relief to the crippled medical system in NSW.

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
I don't disagree that more doctors will ultimately be a good thing for nsw but i don't think they'll necessarily go far in helping the system improve much - as was mentioned in the paper this week, "elective" (often not that elective really, but still) waiting times could be reduced more by adding funding (who knows where it would come from, but still) to more efficiently utilise operating theatres.
Also, i think UNSW and USyd are comparable in terms of year group sizes, the 10 per year is just the undergraduate entry but the overall time to get an mbbs is about the same between UNSW and either USyd entry stream. Thing is, you need more than an mbbs.
Another thing I heard on the grapevine from a 6th year in our Medsoc who heard this from someone in the faculty is that UNSW may be taking up to 100 extra places next year (current intake is ~240 per year), including a significant number of new local fee places - this was decided at the CHOGM a weeks ago i think.
anyway, i hope that UWS' needs for clinical teaching can be met without impinging too much on UNSW or USyd, because at the moment i'm not sure how that can happen (SW Syd health service area is UNSW clinical school atm, includes liverpool, fairfield + campbelltown hospitals) and UNSW's other teaching schools (St Vincents, Prince of Wales and St George) are fairly full. I don't know about USyd but i imagine the situation is similar. The effects of an extra ~200 med students a year running around hospitals wouldn't really be felt until 3-4 years into the thing when the extra places go into their fulltime clinical blocks. does anyone know of any greater sydney hospitals that aren't used for teaching yet?

funnybunny

funniest bunny in th land
HSC
. Since USYD's medicine is virtually non-existent in terms of numbers (they only take in 10 per year, I heard, and starting with B.Sc. instead of MBBS straight away)
LOL..a med school only having a cohort of 10 ..talk about a waste of money....
ur talkin bout the provisional thing..usyd has 200 something post grad med places...the 10 or so ppl combine with them once they finish their BSci

lala2

Banned
HSC
oh ok--so they do actually graduate with their B.Sc., then move straight on? I guess it only saves them one year since it's a 7 year course when a normal degree would take 4 years + MBBS (4 years)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
funnybunny said:
LOL..a med school only having a cohort of 10 ..talk about a waste of money....
ur talkin bout the provisional thing..usyd has 200 something post grad med places...the 10 or so ppl combine with them once they finish their BSci
yep for the sake of completion its 215
http://www.medfac.usyd.edu.au/futurestudent/applicant/local/offers.php

thats the break down..

lala2 said:
oh ok--so they do actually graduate with their B.Sc., then move straight on? I guess it only saves them one year since it's a 7 year course when a normal degree would take 4 years + MBBS (4 years)
no
it saves them on the uncertainty of the interview and the GAMSAT
as BSc(Adv) or BMedSc would normally be 3 yrs...

there may be other extras that are not announced lik some of the features of UQ's BSc/MBBS program.

Soldier

HSC
Its strange that the medical students next year at UWS will be sharing the time spent studying at UWS Campbelltown and Liverpool TAFE...strange to have medical students at TAFE.

smarte_13

HSC
Hello all. I have been looking deeply into the topic of med at UWS. I came across this thread on google...altho i didnt find what i was looking for. Is the MBBS course at UWS a 'traditional medicine' course, like that taught at USYD and UNSW, or is it the new holisitc approach method like that taught at the Newcastle uni? i live in Campbelltown...and hence have a fair amount of info on the topic. The min uai is 92. There r 88 places for the 1st yr...8 of which are for indigenous ppl i believe, and some for fee paying students etc, leaving about 65-70 spots for the rest of us. i was wondering, is MBBS considered a double degree...B med and B surgery? or just one degree? Also...does ne1 have an idea on how hard..or easy...the UMAT test is? where can i get more info on the UMAT? i was talking to a friend of mine at USYD who tells me the 'reputation' of uws isnt that great etc. does ne1 here believe taking the MBBS course at UWS is in ne way a disadvantage? i didnt really consider this factor till my friend told me this. and now a final question, if you had the CHOICE of doin B sci/MBBS at UNSW for 6yrs, OR MBBS at UWS for 5 yrs, which would you go for? Cant wait to read your reply!
Bye
Smarte

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
First of all. Please use punctuatuion. Secondly, the UNSW course has changed from the bsc/mbbs to a mbbs. It is similar to that of Newcastles. The Usyd course is quite different, being a grad course also. UMAT is as hard as you make it. Practice more, and the easier you will find it. However it's dependant on the individual.

If you are serious about the other questions, you really should do some more proactive research.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
newcastle is like Usyd.. both are PBL.. google it.. :)
UWS will be PBL too.. judging by the med education dean

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Yes, although it has more of a grounding in the sciences. It's not as wishy washy as other courses. Although if you did fluke gamsat....

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
sikeveo said:
Yes, although it has more of a grounding in the sciences. It's not as wishy washy as other courses. Although if you did fluke gamsat....
which course u criticising?

smarte_13

HSC
"First of all. Please use punctuatuion." Ok, consider it done. This is the first time I hear UNSW has changed to just MBBS. Does this mean the course is now less than 6 years long? Oh and yes, I am quite serious about getting into the medicine course. Can anyone direct me to UMAT past papers or tell me HOW to practise for it? Highly appreciated.
Bye
Smarte

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ok lets get sumfing clear..

MBBS is 6 yrs at UNSW..
contact acer www.acer.edu.au check them out.. they are selling UMAT past papers now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)