UWS Medicine 2007 (1 Viewer)

Soul Searcher

HSC
hey, i was just wondering if selective school students have a higher advantage in the umat test than those who went to non-selective schools, as i myself go to a non-selective school. Will this have an impact on the level of performance in the umat test?

Also, preparation for the umat test, what are the best ways?
do the selectors have a greater concideration for those who have participated in community services in WS regions?
also, is the time limit during the umat test very tight and limited? do people take many educated guesses during the test?

is umat as hard as people describe it to be?

thanks for your help!

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
umat isn't easy.....

selective skools only get advantage due to their uai being higher? ruse this year got 20 something going for unsw interview... coz... they have uai averaging around 99.4 so it is dah that they will be getting the interviews... but it doesn' tmean they do well in umat at all..... they could have gotten just over the 150 range and got 100 uai predicted... = interview.... so yeah....

no advantage in umat.. only advantage in uai.. but then they have to work hard for it...

Soul Searcher

HSC
i wasnt talking about unsw where they count the uai in consideration, i was talking about uws where they only need students with a uai above 92.
Can i ask, do you:
1. apply for med at UWS
2. do umat test? --> get results
3. continute hsc studies --> get uai
4. then be offered an interview etc?

black_raven777

HSC
I hope this answers your question:

If your UMAT mark is above the cut-off (I think it would be similar to Newcastle, so 175-ish) then you will get an offer in the beginning of November to attend an interview in the beginning of December (the first week)

Then, if your UAI is above 92, and your combined UMAT/Interview rank is high enough your get offered a place

However, if your predicted UAI is below 92, and your real UAI above 92 (with a UMAT score above they aforementioned cut-off) then you get an offer for an interview in January in time for the round of offers.

Any other questions, feel free to ask - hope this helped

Last edited:

absolutepureobl

manic monday
HSC
kathelle said:
Has anyone recieved an offer yet?
I recieved an email today saying that I had qualified for an interview and I would be recieveing a letter in the mail with details on how to confirm.

hotpot

HSC
Congratz absolutepureobl for getting the interview! :wave:

Could i just ask you how u went in ur umat and if ur from the greater western suburbs?

Thanx

absolutepureobl

manic monday
HSC
hotpot said:
Congratz absolutepureobl for getting the interview! :wave:

Could i just ask you how u went in ur umat and if ur from the greater western suburbs?

Thanx
Trying to remember off the top of my head I got 45/99/83 percenmtiles for the UMAT. A combined score of about 180 I think. I'm pretty sure I'm really close to the cut-off. And I'm from the greater western suburbs.

rukie

5th November, Here I Come
HSC
Hey guys, I got an interview thingo they sent by email, but i havnt recieved the letter yet, i sent an email to them, but incase they dont reply, what kind of information do they send in the mail?

smarte_13

HSC
Hello. Does anyone know when UWS will stop interviewing applicants? I mean I have applied and I am from Greater Western Sydney region, and got a reasonable UAI, but my UMAT was atrocious! Any clue what cut off for UMAT is? I would like to still think I am in the running for a place, so anyone with any clues, please get back to me! THANKS!

smarte_13

HSC
Well I did not have an interview, or receive an email which from your answer means I should not be too hopeful. I am going to remain optimistic anyway, but thanks!

SquidY06

HSC
first round for UWS has already happened...i dun think there is a second round :( sorry

and UWS doesn't like high UAI's they want decent UMAT and excellent interviews...because my friend was estimated at high 99 and still didn't get an interview cause of her umat? :( its so sad

SquidY06

HSC
but dun lose hope! cause You're from Western Sydney and its their first year, they might not have interviewed enough ppl!

smarte_13

HSC
I was reading through my UAC guide yesterday, and it said some interviews may be offered in early January so I am EXCITED! :D If worse comes to worse, I think I will do Medical Science at UNSW and see what happens. They have a new post graduate medicine course but it is only offered to UNSW medical science students and next year is first year. It actually sounds quite good. According to an email I got, you complete med sci, honours and medicine all in 7 years. I wonder how hard it will be to get in. You got to apply in 2nd year of med sci and they base it on applicants uni marks only (which is awesome since UMAT smells hehe).

SquidY06

HSC
ohh good for it then smarte!

and UNSW thing is prob pretty hard they only accept 15 peeps..but I'm so sure you can do it you seem so driven!

paacHOW UMAT does smell!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
UMAT may suck but its a part of the game..

its all a game =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)