UWS Medicine (1 Viewer)

Sahm

HSC
Well hello everybody. I'm doing my HSC next year, so I really want to do Medicine at Uni. I'm looking at both UNSW and UWS for medicine. Just wanted to know:
1. What ATAR should I aim to achieve to get a offer at UWS Med? Btw I live in the GWS region.
2. What UMAT should I look to achieve? Everyone tells me that the ATAR score is not as important as the UMAT score. But what percentile and overall score should I get?
3. I know that you guys sign a disclosure agreement about the interviews, but can you give me tips on the way I should be answering questions and what type of questions I would encounter.
4. Any other tips or advice?

Thankyou!

ocatal

HSC
The ATAR required is about 93.55 (for GWS). UMAT is more important for UWS. Once you pass the ATAR threshold, you're ranked against your UMAT score.

The entrance score changes each year. It is usually about 135+ which is made up of S1, S2 and half of S3.

Edit: Yeah you're right. I've confused it with UNSW.

Last edited:

Sahm

HSC
Cools thanks! But doesn't 135 seem quite low? I always thought it was 150ish, for UMAT. Because say it is 135, for e.g. Sec 1- 55. sec 2 55, sec 3 50? As they calculate the sections into 1:1:0.5 right?

And not to be a pain, but can someone please upload an umat practice exam, apart from the free medentry one?

Last edited:

bangladesh

HSC
They calculate your umat at a ratio of 1-1-0.5 and this year's cutoff for GWS was ~150 and for non-gws was 154 for an interview.
Goodluck.

Sahm

HSC
Omg thankyou so much! And I hope your exams are going good!

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Well hello everybody. I'm doing my HSC next year, so I really want to do Medicine at Uni. I'm looking at both UNSW and UWS for medicine. Just wanted to know:
1. What ATAR should I aim to achieve to get a offer at UWS Med? Btw I live in the GWS region.
2. What UMAT should I look to achieve? Everyone tells me that the ATAR score is not as important as the UMAT score. But what percentile and overall score should I get?
3. I know that you guys sign a disclosure agreement about the interviews, but can you give me tips on the way I should be answering questions and what type of questions I would encounter.
4. Any other tips or advice?

Thankyou! ������
93.55 or greater
The UMAT score is a threshold as well, but people say UMAT is more important because it is harder, because you are competing against only med wannabes. You should aim for 83%+ with a weighted 151+
We do, and no I can not, but I can say preparing for UWS interviews will get harder as the years go on, and people at the SoM are making sure of that. I know a lot of the candidates for interviews this year (for 2014 entry) were very taken aback and a lot of them performed poorly compared to previous years.

inb4medmanvsriproot
lol

Every time I have spoken to him on here the things he's said have been pretentious/wrong, so I don't even know if he's still around :spin:

Cools thanks! But doesn't 135 seem quite low? I always thought it was 150ish, for UMAT. Because say it is 135, for e.g. Sec 1- 55. sec 2 55, sec 3 50? As they calculate the sections into 1:1:0.5 right?
135 is quite low
I think this year the cutoff was around 149 for GWS, and 154 for non-GWS
Last year it was ~151 GWS and ~157 non-GWS.

They calculate your umat at a ratio of 1-1-0.5 and this year's cutoff for GWS was ~150 and for non-gws was 154 for an interview.
Goodluck.
^

Also, Sahm, your signature is wrong, MBBS is only available at UWS/UNDS/UoW in NSW, BMed at UNE/UNCLE, BMed/MD at UNSW, and MD at USyd.

Last edited:

Sahm

HSC
Thanks for noticing the wrong signature, will fix it mate. Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)