• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UWS on the rise. (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
yea what cheesegrater said......
and DINGO2004-- what about UOW.....lol, when r they gonna be in line with USYD?

Matthew_152

U wish that UWS was as good as Sydney Uni!...UWS is nothing more than a glorified high school for lower achieving students...and always will be! *walks off to enrol into a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni laughing*.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Look, the only way that uws can compete against unsw and usyd- is by offering medicine- and also offering more programs to talented students and stuff like that- that will definitly increase the pretige of that uni. btw, i'm not saying uws is a crap uni. coz many of my friends go there, as well as my sister. :)

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Originally posted by Matthew_152
U wish that UWS was as good as Sydney Uni!...UWS is nothing more than a glorified high school for lower achieving students...and always will be! *walks off to enrol into a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni laughing*.
right... so let me be the first to laugh when you HECS go up and when your course takes no more HECS students at all.

Oh and if u ever finish your course... the whole world will laugh when uws graduates are getting paid more than you do. Perhaps you should check out the scene before rashly deciding to speak about something on which lower achieving students like yourself have no experience in. ^_^

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
Look, the only way that uws can compete against unsw and usyd- is by offering medicine- and also offering more programs to talented students and stuff like that- that will definitly increase the pretige of that uni. btw, i'm not saying uws is a crap uni. coz many of my friends go there, as well as my sister. :)
Prestige means jack shite really, and uws would offer medicine if we'd get the funding... but we barely getthe funding to run what we have already and this isnt taking into account the extra students we have taken on and all the new shit the government has done to us which will disadvantage us in the future.

If ppl want prestige then they should really pay their way into usyd or somewhere like that, because most ppl that want prestige dont get the marks to get into a prestigious uni. The ppl that get into those sorts of unis are smart enuff to work their butts off for it/or pull the money for it out of their arse.

meh.

santaslayer

HSC
lol......im neutral here but just to add to the excitement of all this catfighting......natstar is correct to sum extent
the average uai this yr and for most other yrs is 66.00.....lol, so he kinda ripped the average...hahah

James Dean

The oldest join date here
HSC
N/A
uws's reputation still isnt that flash amongst a lot of school leavers but i think its definitely better than it was a few years ago and will get better.

like mentioned in an older uws thread alot of the bad rep comes from the media giving uws a hard time, always mentioning overcrowded lectures, understaffing, etc etc, which i think has done uws some damage.

from what ive seen on these boards alot more people are starting to take uws more seriously which is a good sign.

not sure of the unemployment rates for uws, but i heard they're actually not that much different from the other big unis which is also good.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Originally posted by Dingo2004
Cyph all i gotta say is UWS is way better than Univeristy of Newcastle.

period..
seriously is it?

Last edited:

Hottieflossy

i highly doubt that uws is for lower achieving students as i got over 90 for my uai but i chose uws for my first preference because unlike sydney uni they offered spanish and BA(interpreting and translating)..since you reckon your uni is so damn great, why havent they got a greater range of courses..

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
dude with an additude like that you are going to get no where in life... id say syd uni is closer to a high school than uws, a bunch of pretensious wankers running around thinking there better than everyone else.

James Dean

The oldest join date here
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Hottieflossy
i highly doubt that uws is for lower achieving students as i got over 90 for my uai but i chose uws for my first preference.
i agree. if you now look at the cut offs at uws they are certainly not for 'lower achieving students.'

for example, most of the business courses at uws parramatta are around the 85 mark, plus or minus a few points.
now correct me if im wrong but getting a uai of 85 is no easy task.
certainly not a 'low achievement.'

Last edited:

Matthew_152

I'm sorry guys, that was a stupid thing to say....i was just really bored so i thought i might start something...i was actually considering UWS myself because i live in this part of Sydney...i wasnt expecting to get a UAI of 91.50.

santaslayer

HSC
when people say that the uni course has an employment rate of 90%+ does it mean they got employment due to their course? and does it include full time? wot about underemployment? couldnt the unis just manipulate the figures so that anyone that went to uws that got ajob anywhere (even thou it was way outta the field they were studying) like being a cleaner be accounted as "got a job"?

Here

Banned
HSC
*walks off to enrol into a Bachelor of Commerce at Sydney Uni laughing*.
...i wasnt expecting to get a UAI of 91.50.
last time i checked you needed 95 to get into commerce at sydney uni.......

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
when people say that the uni course has an employment rate of 90%+ does it mean they got employment due to their course? and does it include full time? wot about underemployment? couldnt the unis just manipulate the figures so that anyone that went to uws that got ajob anywhere (even thou it was way outta the field they were studying) like being a cleaner be accounted as "got a job"?
At the end of your course, normally about a year after graduation, the uni send you a survey to fill out.. and this is all unis not just uws. It's basically a sort of check up on you survey to see what your doing, and where and all that sort of stuff.

It is from there they get their info, and no its not manipulated. This is how they compare uni graduates placements and salaries. Jobs such as 'coles check out chick' etc don't count.. obviously.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
eh they can check... you have to tell them where you work.... and what you do there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)