UWS Possibly Going Trimester (1 Viewer)

swiftnissity

HSC
Just got this in my student email, thoughts?
I've removed the emails listed at the end just in case for privacy reasons.

Dear Students,

UWS is currently at an important stage in its growth and development. We need to continue to explore ways in which we can effectively manage future growth and also deliver a more student-centred and flexible learning experience.

At the request of the UWS Board of Trustees, we are currently investigating a potential move from the current two semester academic year, to some form a trimester system with three academic teaching periods.

Several Australian universities already use some form of a trimester system. Potential benefits include students having more flexibility to plan their study around their work and lifestyle. For instance, students could choose to ‘fast track’ their degree to complete it earlier, or to take a semester break for work or study reasons.

We understand that many students may prefer to continue to have a long break for leisure, work or travel reasons. Trimesters models are usually very flexible so we are exploring the level of flexibility that could be applied if some form of a trimester system was introduced at UWS in the future.

While a trimester system would present some opportunities, we also want to be aware of the potential issues for staff and students.

We would like to hear your views on the possibility of UWS extending the academic year to three teaching periods. Your feedback will help inform any future decisions about the UWS academic year. After thorough investigation, if a decision is made to move forward with some form of a trimester system, it would not be implemented before 2014.

In September, all students and staff will be invited to participate in a survey as part of the Academic Year Review. The survey will be available online between Monday 3 September and Monday 24 September. You will also be invited to have your say via social media forums, an online feedback form and direct contact with the Academic Year Review Team.

I encourage you to participate in this consultation. In the meantime, please contact the Academic Year Review Team for more information
Personally, I like the idea. I wish they'd implement it earlier so I could take advantage of it next year but eh...

M

MichelleV

I'm honestly not fond of the idea.

The only other Sydney based uni (to my knowledge) that offers this trimester option is Macquarie City Campus.

If people wanted to transfer to or from uws, it makes it a hassle because only the 1st semester will start at the same time as everyone else... If you intend transfer at the end of uws T1, you'll have to wait months before being able to start at your new uni. Same goes for people who want to transfer in. At the end of their S1, its mid T2 at UWS already.

And you can't really plan to go places with friends that go to other universitys. If my friends are on the 2 semester system, their breaks won't align with us. Yes having 3 breaks a year is nicer than 2, but its not all that great when you cant share it with friends.

Though I like the idea that you can finish your degree faster, but I'm not sure if people will be able to comprehend the courses as well in a 10 week semester. Either the course content would have to be shrunk drastically, or we would have to attend longer/more classes to fit it all in.Especially for evening students who already have pathetic teaching staff, rushing through content would be a nightmare. Having to come back extra nights too would be awful.

UWS doesn't exactly have the best reputation when it comes to teaching standards. Shorter degree time might appeal to some, but if the quality isnt there It wouldn't make much of a difference.

Imo, it all does seem like a big of a cash grab by uws. If your in a top fee course (ie, me in accounting) taking 4 subjects a semester + textbooks is currently costing me around 5k. If I were to do that 3 times a year, you'll get an extra 5k out of me sooner.
Higher annual turnover occurs. More people come to uws lured by shorter degree times/more holidays or whatever, and existing students pay more money now.

Anyhow, thats just my thoughts.
Prove me wrong, uws.
Prove me wrong.

I Study Hard

HSC
I don't like the idea at all. I think a better idea would be to provide a broader range of summer units, that was people can take up extra units if they want to. Three trimesters means that a trimester needs to be deferred if you want to do a summer clerkship, going on a holiday, can't afford it etc.
I like doing summer units but honestly, if I had to do a full third semester I would burn out pretty damn fast.

Ahmed ftw

HSC
Yeah that's crazy, I wouldnt be able to handle a trimester either. Two semesters and I feel brain dead afterwards, three is just hell. I like the idea of the summer units as well (So yeah I Study Hard I totally agree with u!). Sometimes I feel like I should do summer units rather than wasting 4 months 'holidaying' but eh, gotta spend time with family and friends and work also.

Ahmed ftw

HSC
Shut up man. We are not a TAFE. Seriously, this argument just doesn't end does it? You people are so small minded and stupid. Don't pride yourself too much on going to Usyd, I know of so many idiots who go there.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, Please note that the trimester system that is being proposed at UWS is only optional if implemented. This means that students do not need to study in all three trimesters if they do not want to. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

I Study Hard

HSC
I just read over my post and cringed, I posted it from my iPad and was multitasking at the time.

Like I said, summer units are <3
The fact that I can knock over a unit in a small amount of time and focus all my energies on that one unit is a good feeling. I don't know how summer school would be affected by trimesters but I assume that's a trimester might make summer school redundant. Although I suppose if a person really wanted to they could just do one or two units (part time load) during the summer.
On the upside, I wouldn't have to pay over $2000 upfront to do a law unit during the summer if they implemented trimesters (How ridiculous is that?? Any other unit you do during summer is subsidised and can go on HECS)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)