UWS really isn't that bad. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
UWS was admittedly a last resort option back at the HSC, but soon I started enjoying the relaxed learning environment and watched my high school mates struggle with their workload. Not to mention the hours pw are less, and the campus is an easy 15 min drive from home (absolutely hate public transport). Now three and a half years later I'm getting ready to graduate and have a better paying job, with better career prospects, than most of my UNSW/USYD friends.
I guess uni is what you make of it, better reputation/resources aren't gonna do jack to your marks. Of course if you can handle it that's great, I'd rather take it easy :).
So you're saying the courses are easier at UWS? :/ Hardly seems like the same marks should count for as much then from what you're saying.

From what I hear though, many of the courses at UWS are just as demanding in workload as those at USyd, UNSW, etc...

Darkenedjib

HSC
So you're saying the courses are easier at UWS? :/ Hardly seems like the same marks should count for as much then from what you're saying.

From what I hear though, many of the courses at UWS are just as demanding in workload as those at USyd, UNSW, etc...
Just what I've found (doing B.Computing), may not be the case for other courses.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Probably, because I've always lived in and been educated at the western suburbs anyway. I think I'm more comfortable at UWS than I would be at either of those unis.
what you are saying is you did not make unsw/usyd for your desired course?

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
Yes, $20 grand scholarship and masters and honours after 4 years.

About half my physio course got high enough for USyd but chose uws on those 2 reasons and closeness to home.
if you also got a 20k scholarship at usyd and lived equidistant from both, which would you choose then?

HSC
I don't give a fuck about buildings. I think it's laughable that that's the only point she could come up with against us. Whether she likes it or not, Usyd is a good uni.

Who "could" argue that its not a good uni? You go to it so you should know and not worry about others or even take the most inconspicous things said to heart.

I can understand pride, but just don't let silly things get to you, yes there are factors brought forward that are debatable but keep your cool whilst doing so.

People in uni's like mac usyd n unsw also put down other uni's like UWS, mind you, holding no contemporary valid justification...Im not directing this at you per se, I personally think only students that actually go to UWS can sit there and advise on their perceptions as to the quality of the university, the rest is filled with assumptions, rumours etc.. *shrugs*

HSC
Just what I've found (doing B.Computing), may not be the case for other courses.

So, you've been to another university and done the same course? or are you soley basing it on assumptions upon the "work/hours" your other friends have/talk about that go to another university? I'm confused.

Darkenedjib

HSC
So, you've been to another university and done the same course? or are you soley basing it on assumptions upon the "work/hours" your other friends have/talk about that go to another university? I'm confused.
I know some people doing B.IT, other similar/equivalent courses at the more reputable unis. Personally I've only attended UWS, but we've compared attendance, study commitments, that sort of thing.

HSC
Uni Grad
just because there are heaps of lebos and dropkicks at certain unis and tafe...doesnt mean the standard is lower
Umm... yes it does... it means the cutoffs and ability of the students is lower...

Like in a sports team, the standard of the local soccer team is lower than the standard of a professional international soccer team.

HSC
I know some people doing B.IT, other similar/equivalent courses at the more reputable unis. Personally I've only attended UWS, but we've compared attendance, study commitments, that sort of thing.
I agree that it's not actually it's definately not
for other courses.

Interesting, def never heard of it being easier coz it's UWS. Do u know why they have less hours? Like are there prac's they have to do to make up for it or somthing?

Bananaberry

HSC
To UWS students:

If you made it into USyd or UNSW, would you have still chosen UWS?
Yes. I have family who went there and said good things. The course I did sounded good and was heaps flexible (which it was). The on-campus accom was affordable and the campus social life (for on campus residents) was excellent. I was close to family who live in western Sydney. I grew up in Western Sydney (although most of my life was spent up north) USYD/UNSW sounded too pretencious, I didnt fancy living/travelling to close to the city (too expensive), the courses I looked into were not as flexible as UWS.

To tell you the truth, I was not even aware there was a stigma attached to the uni. It was a uni, had what I wanted, so I went there.

Bananaberry

HSC
I agree that it's not actually it's definately not
for other courses.

Interesting, def never heard of it being easier coz it's UWS. Do u know why they have less hours? Like are there prac's they have to do to make up for it or somthing?
My friend did arts at UWS for 1st year and only got passes and a 1 or 2 credits. She started going to USYD in 2nd year and was getting more C's and D's.

hscsuccess.

HSC
roflcopterz

EVERYONE KNOWS TAFE>UWS.
not equivalent - greater than

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
I see what you're saying. But I think you mean judging a team based on its coaches (being the teachers). The students represent the school as a players represent a team. They're both taught/coached, whether they perform well also relies on them not being total fuckwits.

Personally, I'm going to put up with the dropkicks who get into uni and then leave after the first 3 months at UWS. I'd prefer to have the extra time not spent travelling to myself or study.
no...its the fans...its a pretty straight forward analogy...

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
Umm... yes it does... it means the cutoffs and ability of the students is lower...

Like in a sports team, the standard of the local soccer team is lower than the standard of a professional international soccer team.
lol...the ability of the students...wow...doesnt mean the standard of teaching is lower...what dont you get? and i thought u were smart being an atheist and all

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
roflcopterz

EVERYONE KNOWS TAFE>UWS.
not equivalent - greater than
This unsubstantiated comment is both offensive to tafe and UWS.

Tafe and UWS are different things with different aims.

I don't understand why people bag on tafe, honestly its aimed at technical knowledge, trades etc. Some tradies would be smarter and make more money than you ever will.

UWS is a university not a tafe, comparing it to one is fallacious.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

From the tests I've SEEN given to me by my mates, unis DO have varying difficulty in their exams for certain course.

and lolusomad

I Study Hard

HSC
UWS is awesome.
I mean, did you know in the eating/bar area at C'town campus they have Jizz in My Pants on their music list thingie xD
Law faculty is pretty good. ALOT of people doing BBC are really dumb shits though. The guy who sits next to me literally got an ATAR of 45 x_x
No Joke.
Other then that it's pretty good. Haven't seen anything worth really complaining.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
lol...the ability of the students...wow...doesnt mean the standard of teaching is lower...what dont you get? and i thought u were smart being an atheist and all
nobody questioned the standard of teaching? we just said that the quality of students there is lower

imo the standard of teaching doesnt really help. self study is enough

admit you agree that the academic ability of uws students in their respective courses will be lower compared to usyd/unsw students?

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
nobody questioned the standard of teaching? we just said that the quality of students there is lower

imo the standard of teaching doesnt really help. self study is enough

admit you agree that the academic ability of uws students in their respective courses will be lower compared to usyd/unsw students?
ability of the students yes...as a percentage...its like saying the majority of black people in america are poor but yet oprah is rich

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
ability of the students yes...as a percentage...its like saying the majority of black people in america are poor but yet oprah is rich
its just like 2 schools

say, granville boys and james ruse

sure, granville boys might have a smart kid or whatever, but ruse is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)