UWS to UNSW Computer Science Transfer (1 Viewer)

dorkbydesign

HSC
Hi all!

I've got two offers at the moment, my first is for Media Arts at COFA and my second is for Computer Science at UWS.

Right now I'm thinking of taking the COFA offer and internally transferring into the Computer Science/Media Arts Dual Degree after the first year. However I am also considering taking up Computer Science at UWS and doing a credit transfer into UNSW as well.

To be honest, I am more interested in Computer Science (and it is more useful to me as I want to be a programmer) and Media Arts is more of a hobby and contains nothing I would really use in the real world.

What would you guys do in my shoes? I am 100% happy to do both options, I just don't know what would better guarantee me a spot in the Computer Science course at UNSW.

The only reason I am considering going through UWS is just being able to tackle Computer Science a little earlier.

I would love to hear your input.

Thanks!

(Also I live 60ks away from UWS)

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
Did you miss out on an offer for Comp Sc at UNSW?

It's hard to say, that would probably depend on your knowledge and skills and admiration for Media Arts and Computer Science respectively. Or do you have both equally?

Transferring into Computer Science via Media Arts is said to be alot easier since you're already a new south student. You will need a WAM of 65 after a year's study at COFA (UNSW). However, according to the transfer booklet, you will also have need to study MATH1131 and attain at least 60 in this. I'm not sure if COFA offers this. Anyone? (Is MATH1131 offered as General Ed. or free to study?) If so, you'll have to study at the Kensington main campus I think.

Transferring outside of new south and uni like UWS is achievable. You just need good grades (Distinctions or higher) and you'll be fine after a year's study. They may also use a small percentage (25%) of your ATAR for admission whereas Internal transfer via UNSW is 100% UNSW marks.

Last edited:

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Take the UWS offer.

You said yourself media arts "is more of a hobby". Not only that, but the courses are easier to get high marks at UWS (obviously a generalisation lol).

If you took the media offer, only about 2 subs (/4) would count to your comp sci degree (as gen eds). This means you'd have to extend your stay at uni if you decide to drop media. (idk if all your subs at UWS would transfer but at least that stuff would be more relevant)

Hope this helped :)

peri24

HSC
What would you guys do in my shoes? I am 100% happy to do both options, I just don't know what would better guarantee me a spot in the Computer Science course at UNSW.

(Also I live 60ks away from UWS)
go 4 media arts.

nuffin guarantees u a spot to comp sci at unsw xcept guuud grades.

dont go 2 uws coz u will need to catch an aeroplane.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

It's hard to say, that would probably depend on your knowledge and skills and admiration for Media Arts and Computer Science respectively. Or do you have both equally?

Transferring into Computer Science via Media Arts is said to be alot easier since you're already a new south student. You will need a WAM of 65 after a year's study at COFA (UNSW). However, according to the transfer booklet, you will also have need to study MATH1131 and attain at least 60 in this. I'm not sure if COFA offers this. Anyone? (Is MATH1131 offered as General Ed. or free to study?) If so, you'll have to study at the Kensington main campus I think.

Transferring outside of new south and uni like UWS is achievable. You just need good grades (Distinctions or higher) and you'll be fine after a year's study. They may also use a small percentage (25%) of your ATAR for admission whereas Internal transfer via UNSW is 100% UNSW marks.
you can still do normal classes at the main campus if you go to COFA and vice versa

dorkbydesign

HSC

Yeah I did miss out on an offer for Comp Sc at UNSW because my school gave me a zero for my trials, completely based on allegations which really screwed my marks. My knowledge does lie heavily in Computer Science however Visual Arts was my best HSC subject.

What do you recommend I should do? I have heard that I could take the Transition pathway course as well.

Thanks!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go to UNSW because it's easier to internally transfer, also you can start doing computing subjects from Day 1 and no one will bat an eyelid. Of course it'll mean you'll have to delay one or more Media/Arts course but... that's something you can probably chat about with the friendly folks at the FASS Student Centre who do degree planning.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)