• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

UWS UAI entries (1 Viewer)

G

gigi_love

Does anyone know what the UAI enty requirements are for social sciences.. im inerested in Youth work/ physc or community and family servies etc...

L

LaraB

gigi_love said:
Does anyone know what the UAI enty requirements are for social sciences.. im inerested in Youth work/ physc or community and family servies etc...
best thing to do is look on the uac website - they have a link to a pdf of all the UAI entries for all courses last year:)

SweetSeasons

HSC
just be careful last year the UAI's had a massive drop, spesh at UWS, so yeah it may increase a bit this year

L

LaraB

cut off's dropped largely coz of demans and i don't exactly see UWS's rep greatly increasing..if anything espec. in law faculty since we no longer have a colleg of law grr....

so if they do go up it's likely to be insignificantly...

hYperTrOphY

HSC
LaraB said:
cut off's dropped largely coz of demans and i don't exactly see UWS's rep greatly increasing..if anything espec. in law faculty since we no longer have a colleg of law grr....

so if they do go up it's likely to be insignificantly...
Why is there no longer a college of law?

I'm seriously reconsidering my decision to apply at UWS. Hopefully I will be convinced at the Open Day, but the more info. I get, and the more I read about the different unis the more confused I get.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
hYperTrOphY said:

I'm seriously reconsidering my decision to apply at UWS. Hopefully I will be convinced at the Open Day, but the more info. I get, and the more I read about the different unis the more confused I get.
There still is a college of law, but its now under a different name. UWS has gone through renaming their schools and colleges due to funding. So don't worry about it too much.

Learning about uni's is quiet confusing! But you can always post on here and we can try and answer it. Even after one and a half years uni is still confusing sometimes :p

L

LaraB

Cape said:
There still is a college of law, but its now under a different name. UWS has gone through renaming their schools and colleges due to funding. So don't worry about it too much.

Learning about uni's is quiet confusing! But you can always post on here and we can try and answer it. Even after one and a half years uni is still confusing sometimes :p
there isn't - there is now a College of business and Law falls under that

so really there is no college of law..

this all effects funding which means it will eventually impact upon students...

a l ot of the criticism other unis/institutions/people have of UWS Law is that it never has been an entity unto itself..so now that it doesn't even have its own College that image is just going to get worse which sadly will probably ipmact on the calibre of people applying for UWS in years to come unless that perception dramatically changes which i doubt it will as long as the more established uni's are still around..

L

LaraB

hYperTrOphY said:

don't rethink it if that's the reason why...

the course is excelllent, teachers are awesome, people (mostly) are cool...

just other unis have a total lack okf respect for UWS Law for the most part... but a large proportion of employers/firms are smart enough to realise that the name of the uni isn't that important:)

Printmaker

HSC
N/A
Law at UWS

I hear that law at UWS has a large practical component

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Oops ... sorry laraB i was tired last night and my words didn't come out exactly right.

I really doubt it will effect you students too much. After all, business and law are money making courses.

Cause the combining of my course has actually helped us, we can choose electives and none of the tourism subjects actually clash. Which is good, cause I'm doing 3 tourism subjects and an agriculture subject this semester.

L

LaraB

Printmaker said:
I hear that law at UWS has a large practical component
what exactly do you mean by "practical component" coz the response to that could be yes and no...

L

LaraB

Cape said:
Oops ... sorry laraB i was tired last night and my words didn't come out exactly right.

I really doubt it will effect you students too much. After all, business and law are money making courses.

Cause the combining of my course has actually helped us, we can choose electives and none of the tourism subjects actually clash. Which is good, cause I'm doing 3 tourism subjects and an agriculture subject this semester.
lol :p

surprisngly from what a family friend who's dad work in school of management was sayin it will coz they're combining a lot of post-grad and under-grad responsibilities so gov doens't have to give as much money,,

its kinda like a vicious cycle - combining= less money, less money = lessa bility to bring money into the uni through R&D, less $ brought in = less reason for governmnet support, less government support = less money etc etc etc

i think the problem is largely not from a lack of fund s from the uni as such.. more a change in the people applying for uws law and as a result a change in i suppose.. 'success' since a lot of peopel still view it as the back up if you don't get in anywhere else... so i guess if the students aren't succeeding and less people are applying, there'll be less need for more lecturers so less people to get money through R&D etc...

apparently School of ER virtually funds the college of business and my WB lecturer last semester was havin a bitch bout how now they combing post-grad n undergrad it means they have less money to further R&D so have more stuff to pay for but less ways of makin money

LMM

LMM
HSC
Yes it does. A lot of students find this an advantage when compared with other uni's as UWS Law students are more experienced in the practical skills that are required when you go into practice. I started out my Law degree at Sydney Uni and I found a huge difference between the courses. For example I found that the subjects at Sydney were predominantly theory based whereas UWS has a combination on theory and practical components which mixes it up and gives you the relevant skills in both areas.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
don't rethink it if that's the reason why...

the course is excelllent, teachers are awesome, people (mostly) are cool...

just other unis have a total lack okf respect for UWS Law for the most part... but a large proportion of employers/firms are smart enough to realise that the name of the uni isn't that important
From what I understand both the teachers and the course itself are very good. However, my reasons for not being particularly enthusiastic about law at UWS is for other, quite common and well documented reasons.

1. If I wish to join a large law firm it appears that graduating from UWS diminishes your chances. This is not to say that employers regard UWS as incompetant, but from what I have read and from talks with people with law degrees, it does appear apparent that employers favour those from the more 'prestigious' unis.

2. For this reason less people apply to UWS, resulting in a lower calibre of academically able students at UWS. I don't believe this generates a positive learninig environment.

On the other hand, there are various advantages to UWS, which makes my decision extremely difficult. For one, they offer Criminology, which is something I would really like to combine with my law degree. It is geographically close and academic scholarships are easier to obtain.

L

LaraB

hYperTrOphY said:
From what I understand both the teachers and the course itself are very good. However, my reasons for not being particularly enthusiastic about law at UWS is for other, quite common and well documented reasons.

1. If I wish to join a large law firm it appears that graduating from UWS diminishes your chances. This is not to say that employers regard UWS as incompetant, but from what I have read and from talks with people with law degrees, it does appear apparent that employers favour those from the more 'prestigious' unis.

2. For this reason less people apply to UWS, resulting in a lower calibre of academically able students at UWS. I don't believe this generates a positive learninig environment.

On the other hand, there are various advantages to UWS, which makes my decision extremely difficult. For one, they offer Criminology, which is something I would really like to combine with my law degree. It is geographically close and academic scholarships are easier to obtain.
1 - um.. where did you hear thaht/who has said that? because put simply, it's not true.
of course the number of students at big law firms will be less - it's a new uni, plus a lot of people at uws don't necessarily want to become lawyers a lot want to be legal consultants in large corporate entities, enter alternative dispute resolution, add to another degree etc...

emplolyers will not favour someone from a more prestigious uni just on that basis - they're not that stupid. If you did a relevant course and achieved highly no one's gonan care if you went to uws.

that said - employers i have spoken to/heard etc all have quite significant respect for the course structure, uws teachers and students, the practical nature of the course, the abilty to apply our knowledge to the workplace etc etc...

EDIT : ps - what's to say that getting accepted into a big law firm means a more successful career anyway? most people dont stay at their first place of work, and if you're in a large firm at teh bottom rung, the experience gained may be less beneficial than if you were at a smaller firm and were higher 'ranked' i spose and thus gaining more 1st hand experience:)

2- just because it may foster a less academically competitive nature to applying to uws doesn't mean there isn't a positive learning environment.Very few people who are there don't wanna be there/don't want to learn, there's a big age range ie undergrads, 1st/2nd/3rd etc yr students, mature ages and post grade giving, i think, a more positive lerarning environemt as unlike other unis you have a huge range and variety of experiences and opinions to learn from...

oh, your comment about scholarships - it's not as easy as most people think:p to be assured of getting an (academically based) scholarship, you pretty much gotta get aroun 98 ish it seems to be i guess 'guaranteed' a scholarship.... so its a little easier but not hugely... more than anything, it depends on the area peopel live coz you may have kick ass marks but ifur postcode ain'nt on the list you can't apply.. so depends on who can and can't apply each year a lot..... plus you gotta keep it by keeping up high academic succes once you get it

just don't make a decision before you come to the uni and talk to lecturers and students ie open day because unfortunately the vast majority of the non-uws attending population's view and opinions of teh uni are ill-informed/aimed to bag out the uni/just plain bullsh*t...

so come and talk to us before accepting those kinda opinions:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)