Uws (1 Viewer)

user

Old enough to know better
HSC
yeah i know...
:(

all those crappy statistics

i'm still hoping that maybe whoever compiled these statistics were like biased or something

after all, 200000 or however many people applying for sydney or nsw can't be wrong.

evie

I didn't really want to go to UWS but it turned out that the computer course I really wanted to do was there so...Despite the bad rep it may have it has the course I want so I'm happy. :)

Chicken

I was planning all along to put down UWS as my first preference. I really really really REALLY wanted to do Criminology/Psychology double major in the SocSci degree. I went to the open day (hawkesbury campus) and it looked GREAT!

The ONLY reason why I haven't put it down as a first preference is that I found out at the open day that psych and criminology majors won't be offered at that campus, and it's nice and close to me (40mins drive) as opposed to 1hr+ in peak hour traffic to get to the other campuses where it IS offered.

One thing I did notice at the open day was that the staff (at least the SocSci teaching staff) didn't seem to professional......

I also went to the Newcastle Uni open day and that was much more professional in comparison (just staff wearing suits....very organised day....things running smoothly) but that's more snob value, depending on how important you think that professionalism is. I want to do Forensics/Law at Newcastle, so that professionalism is important to me.

SaveFerris

Speaking to a friend of the family not long ago about UWS, he was saying that when they initially put forward plans for a uni in the Western Sydney area they were going to name it after some guy, quite like Macquarie Uni or Monash Uni in Melbourne, anyway, someone equally well-known. For some reason they didn't (he told me, but my memory escapes me) and it just became known as "Uni of Western Sydney".

It got me thinking though...can you imagine if it had a different name how much more receptive people would be to at least considering going there? I mean, the name obviously doesn't affect the quality of the courses or resources or whatever but I'm sure those who choose a uni based purely on its prestige value would think more seriously about it...

Agnes

just a thought...
but i think uws isn't as bad a university as people may think it might be. if it's a disadvantaged uni then it probably receives extra funding from the government which the other universities don't... maybe
i know they do that for public school in disadvantaged areas in the west, and i went to a public school in the west, but it wasnt disadvantaged, and i also went to this eco lecture at st marys high (near mt duritt/ penrith) which is a disadvantaged school, on a saturday and theyre school looked pretty good, in fact they had a really cool cafeteria and when i first went inside i thought they had their own MCDONALDS! ... cos they have a lot of the foods you can find in take away shops.
but anyway, ive been to uws parra, i dont know what the other campuses are like, but the parra one looked really good. its very modern, very clean and well kept/ looked after.
on the other hand, i went to macq open day and all i saw was cigarette butts strewn all over the lawns and the main quad looked horrendous with tattered, old and doggy eared posters covering the walls and concrete support columns from floor to ceiling... their union really ought to put restrictions! :rolleyes:
and yes i know ive based all this simply on appearances, but i reckon most people sound as if they are basing their opinions on 2 factors..

1) appearance/ reputation. i personally think it matters for some courses more than others, e.g teaching- doesn't really matter the reputation of the uni so much cos the government is desperate for teachers, on the other hand i think if someone wants to do something in business or law it will probably matter a lot more- no offense to people who want to become teachers, and not trying to scare ppl who want to do business or law

2) the level of UAI. the higher the UAI, the more people assume it means that the uni is good in this topic area .... maybe. but the level of UAI is driven by demand, not set by an objective measure taken by an outside institution of the quality of the course being offered, therefore it's subjective and you have to be careful.

evie

Originally posted by Agnes
the level of UAI is driven by demand, not set by an objective measure taken by an outside institution of the quality of the course being offered, therefore it's subjective and you have to be careful.
I agree..I've seen course UAIs go down at good unis because not many people chose it over a 2 year period.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
I don't see anything wrong with UWS. I went to Bankstown Open Day (last year... I was in Milperra the day it was on, so even thou I was in year 11, I said what the hell, it can't hurt and went in) And the people there are so kind! Sure, it doesn't have the prestige of Sydney or New South... but so what? I know people who have transferred out of both Sydney and New South to UWS because they hated them, and lived closer to a UWS campus, most of whom where not, by any standards, 'dumb'. They all said the same thing - "USYD/UNSW may have a great name, but thats where it stops. The teaching isn't that good, and even when it is, lecturers have no time for the individual due to numbers, it was kinda bitchy and lacks a community spirt". Alot of people wouldn't have a problem with Uni lacking a community spirt, or being compeditive to the point of it being bitchy, but not me ;) I reckon alot of people see high UAI's and the good name that both above Uni's have and immediatly see it as being 'the best'.

UWS will be 3rd on my list of preferences, after UTS and CSU -- CSU at Bathurst is beatiful and it has such a great feel to it. It's like a small town at the Mitchell Campus. Even Bathurst itself is great -- it's somewhere you'd wanna raise a family.

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
i go to uws and i love it there. The teachers are all nice and helpful, i have a critical lang and critical forms lecturer/tutor who would bend over backwards to help any of us and a communications tutor who would do the same.

ppl degrade uws becuase we are in the western suburbs and when uws was first opened it was meant to cater for the western suburbs, so that we wouldnt have to travel an hour or more into the city (or even move interstate) to get a university degree.

Did u know that uws was originally a join creation between the city unis? they funded uws initially, so all of those who go to those unnamed city unis... ur money is paying for my education. :D

Also uws is the worst funded australian uni. we got rorted to bad in the federal budget.. u wanna know y? becuase uws doesnt want to limit its courses anymore than it has had to already, they dont want to limit the amount of hecs paying students, they also dont want to charge more fees. So sucks to those next year who miss out on a place at a larger city uni becuase they've limited spots for hecs students AND those who end up paying full fees to get into snobby city unis.

I'm sick of ppl putting down uws. Y should i travel into the city to get an education that i can get right here not even 15mins down the road? I thought it was hilarious when i went to open day and there were this group of shitty ppl standing in a corner at Parra campus bitching abt what a shit hole it was, and how small it was. I dont think they realised the campus is also on the other side of the road... :chainsaw:

As for the size of the other campus's... try walking around penrith one day... if u can walk fast enuff u might get halfway across before night falls. :D

I love my uni, i am proud of wat uws has done and if ppl want to slander it i'll kick their asses.

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's good to see that people still expect to see old and rundown schools in Sydney's west...

But using a different angle to eviltama, a number of people in the west are sick and tired of learning in their area and wish to leave it and go somewhere new...
It's also down to resources, and a number of teachers out here will continue to tell their students to go to the city universities until UWS is granted adequate funding...

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
the thing is, UWS isnt a high profile uni. They were never meant to cater for all that crap, so of course they dont. And at the same time u get all these kids coming out of a westie high school saying 'I am going to get outta this shit hole..' etc so they leave the area and go to those crappy over priced unis that slander good places like uws and those kids when they graduate walk out saying 'i'm better than u (westies), i have my <insert posh uni here> degree and i am never going back.. blah blah blah'

Now no offense to these misguided ppl, but that outlook is fucked. It doesnt matter what uni u come out of, a b.science at uws is the same as one at usyd. but usyd costs more so ppl think its better.. its not. As much as employers look at those high priced uni's in a better light than uws, it doesnt mean that wateva education u receive from uws is any lesser. and ppl dont see that. Its the whole neon light disorder, neon lights may be flashy and look great but they are not neccesarily better nor are they any good when they r no longer flashy neon lights.

meh.. long para, short point. wateva.
anyway, the western suburbs is being treated as sydneys sink hole.. for everything. Fair enuff some areas are getting new things and upgrades and so on but the areas that need it arent. which is a large oversight on the govt's behalf. WE need the funding, WE need the help.. otherwise the western suburbs and uws will continue to go down hill. uws is a great uni and it has great students that in other circumstances might never have even gotten to uni, and this has to be realised and shown to ppl. A campaign or something to show all the blissfully ignorant ppl out there that we are here, we arent a bunch of derros and we have our acheivements and we are proud of them. I'm a westie, i go to a westie uni and im proud of it. and fuck all those spoilt shitheads who run to their city unis to get away from who they who they perceive they are. stupid morons, giving westies a bad name.

NB: im not arguing with u Generator, i agree with u.. lets just say my rant got out of hand :D

Generator

HSC
N/A
Eh.
It would depend on the school more than anything else. Regular schools might not have an anti-uws squad, but the selective school/s do/es, as do a number of the private schools.
It's just the way it is.

Last edited:

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
indeed... in-damnwell-deed... u know thats DISCRIMINATION BASED ON OUR GEOGRAPHICAL STATUS!.. or something of the like... i think i wrote that in my essay too.. :D

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
they are just jealous of our uber goodness ;)

.. i don't care .. i get to arrest people when i'm finished ..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)