V for Vendetta (1 Viewer)

FuckLiberals

HSC
Movie was alright, I could have done a better job.

Why'd they have to cut Portman's hair? That bit made me cry. I was shouting out "NO! WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING. SHE'S TOO FUCKING BEAUTIFUL FOR THAT!!!

I cried. Sobbed like a girl.

SharkBait

HSC
the movie went on for wot, 2 hrs or so? i had chills down my spine for 2 hrs. i found it glorious, challenging and bittersweet. hugo weaving as again proved himself to be an elite actor, even with a mask on. and, well wot can i say abt natalie portman, i hav neva doubted her acting skills. as for her appearance 'skills', well, im a GIRL, and i got .....blown away. ahem.
a few things that i found this film mesmerizing, is that 1) the ambiguilty of V. it's exactly wot the film was sayin abt why evil and good cant live side by side or sumfin. i completely agree. nothing is that black and white.
2) 'cry me a river' by julie london is one of my fave songs, and i got to hear it, not just once, but twice (when evey came bak and played it)
3) the whole political satire thing, just totally turns me on. haha.
4) some of the lines in the film is just amazing....like you cant kill an idea. or the government shud be afraid of its people etc. and sooo much more. i need the script of this film.
overall, i really enjoyed the film...and wud experience it all ova again in a split second. WATCH IT, EVERYBODY!!!

Mr_Shrimp

HSC
Argonaut said:
It was symbolism; she was abandoning her former life to join V's quest; and it was also a ploy by V to try and break her.

good ol' wachowski's with their symbolism..

but one thing they didn't get right was when she had her big revelation out in the rain. Surely as Matrix directors they would understand the need for her to be naked to pull that off right? The tatty old sheet she was wearing spoiled it.

Not being perverted here but that "rebirthing" should have been done au naturale.

Mongke

HSC
Mr_Shrimp said:
good ol' wachowski's with their symbolism..

but one thing they didn't get right was when she had her big revelation out in the rain. Surely as Matrix directors they would understand the need for her to be naked to pull that off right? The tatty old sheet she was wearing spoiled it.

Not being perverted here but that "rebirthing" should have been done au naturale.
just like for V?

Gibbo69er

Poor Student
HSC
how cool is the end.

the music and the parliament building being blown up..

the explosions in time with the music.

im thinking of just downloading it as an mp3, but the visuals - WOW

and how funny was V with his cooking apron on :p

Collin

HSC
N/A
I thought the trailer looked interesting, so I went and saw it. I thought it was awesome. Only after seeing it however, did I realise how bold of a film this was. Best of all, the Wachowskis this time round didn't get bogged down in the poorly presented metaphysical mumbo-jumbo which plagued the Matrix sequels.
I felt the acting was pretty good. I was slightly put off by the fact that Natalie Portman was going to prime the cast list, but was overall satisfied with her performance. Hugo Weaving was as usual, excellent, though hidden behind a mask. The pacing was solid, although I didn't feel the transition between some of the emotional/crescendo-top to quiet/filler scenes were as smooth as I would of liked for the first 2/3rds of the film. The cinematography and overall visuals were satisfying and importantly the film itself was thematically resonant and I felt that the purpose was never compromised throughout; a common problem with many Hollywood films.
My biggest complaint however, is the absence of an epilogue after such a dramatic climax; perhaps by Inspector Finch or even Evey. Sealing such an ambitious film with credits after such a thrilling climax just brings the reminiscent feelings of a conventional action-flick, something which I don't believe this film should be associated with.
In conclusion, I'd recommend this film to anyone, although it seems like you're gonna either love it or hate it.

katy-g

HSC
Oh ok. Cool.

Hugo Weaving is god. Seriously, that guy is just a talent and a half.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I quite liked it. Natalie Portman never really does it for me, her acting never seems to stick in my mind as fantastic. Hugo Weaving however, I really enjoy watching. I'd read an article a couple of nights before, in the paper, about him and how he was the V character. I completely forgot I'd read it, and I spent the entire two hours trying to figure out why I recognised the voice. I was pissed when I saw the credits.

But what I really enjoyed was all the references to World War II and the Iraq War. The gas chambers, and selection of essentially homosexuals, gays and those who were different were clearly resonant, and the comments about 'hidden weapons' (though biological rather than artillery). Even with all the footage from the London bombings etc. I was a little surprised that they didn't show any clips of the Twin Towers when the British were being shown 'what they would become' if they didn't accept the security. But I guess they weren't allowed or something.

kimmi06

HSC
strawberry @-@ said:
Lol when she (I forgot her name) kissed the mask.
Major flashbacks of Spiderman in that scene...lol. I haven't read the graphic novel by Allan More but I liked the movie alot, it gave me goosebumps. Beautiful moment towards the end when they all take the masks off and watch the fireworks...*sigh*. Some parts were a bit cliche but overall I thought it was brilliant. I was reading in a magazine that it was considered a 'pro-terrorism' film...do u reckon? And also, do you think V really brought justice and freedom to the society? I'm not so sure...

Collin

HSC
N/A
kimmi06 said:
I was reading in a magazine that it was considered a 'pro-terrorism' film...do u reckon? And also, do you think V really brought justice and freedom to the society? I'm not so sure...
Definitively, it is pro-terrorism. However, it's subjectively considered as not, depending on where the point of view originates, due to it's theme on creating violence to stop violence and oppression. Hugo Weaving addressed this issue in an interview, where he made the comparison between bombing the London subway to, say bombing Hitler's train. The latter to many would not be considered a terrorist act, or atleast an act of violence which could have it's terrorist nature dismissed as insignificant due to it's purpose of pursuing freedom, even though the act itself is definitively terrorist.

So in a way, this issue extends to situations such as the Iraq War. Saddam loyalists would argue that the Americans were being terrorists for neutralising their regime. By definition, this is true. The Americans however would brand this as nonsense, since they created this violence to end a barbaric regime.

So, if you were pro-Sutler's totalitarian Norsefire government, you would by all means consider V as a dangerous criminal and terrorist. However if you view Norsefire as a corrupt, barbaric, totalitarian regime which, for the best of humanity should be gone, then chances are you wouldn't find the freedom fighter V as terrorist. Again of course, by definition he is still terrorist.

Pierotte

HSC
Well i don tknow how to do spoilers, so dont read this if u dont want any of it spoiled

I liked it

Well

I REALLY liked the structure,
but found the plot less than satisfying

if that makes sense

I really liked how it was made,
i liked how it played its self out,
i liked the whole mood of the film,
i liked how they only revealed small bits of information to the audience at a time but enough so that u got a change to figure it all out for your self and start making your own conclusions

I despised the fact it was so damn idealistic

some bits just had me sitting there going "oh PUH-LEASE!" (silently, i dont comment outloud in movies, dont worry)

But some bits really genuinely touched me. That mini lesbian sub plot was..just.. ah i thought it was good.
I didnt like the whole letter thing.. cuz as if you wouldnt just TALK through the hole in the wall..
But i thought it added nicely to the empty little plot. Just made it a little bit real, a little bit personal.
Yeah, im cheesy, it worked on me.

over all i really liked it though.
Yeah i havnt seen a movie i enjoyed as much in a fair while.

But oh geez... the ending.. the cloaked little black people flooding the streets.. so organised, so damn stupid, so damn unrealistic

but the explosions rocked my socks :D!

olchik

HSC
I don't really like trailers, but there are many good reviews so may be it is worth to watch... Is a lot of blood there?

kimmi06

HSC
olchik said:
I don't really like trailers, but there are many good reviews so may be it is worth to watch... Is a lot of blood there?
In some parts I guess? But there's no more than your average film really...there's some pretty graphic scenes though that are kind of affiliated with the Holocaust though, and they're very confronting.

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Pierotte said:
I didnt like the whole letter thing.. cuz as if you wouldnt just TALK through the hole in the wall..
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that the lesbian left the letter in the hole in the wall, and after she died V was placed in her cell and found it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)