V8 Supercars 2006 (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Sakhir is on the outskirts of Manama.

And why don't you want the V8s there? Because you don't like the track? It's actually considered one fo the best on the calendar.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
30km is not on the outskirts. You just said Manama to confuse the hell out of me, because everyone calls it Bahrain or Sakhir.

Do I really have to go through my reasons of why the V8's shouldn't go to Manama / Bahrain / Sakhir again?
- The track itself is boring, too short, not challenging and not good for overtaking.
- V8's shouldn't be going overseas, especially to the middle east. Now I'm fine with going to New Zealand. But not Asia and not the Middle East. They don't have the same passion as Australians and New Zealanders do with the whole Ford vs Holden thing.
- AVESCO is trying to reduce costs, cap spending limits, having 2 or 3 overseas events will not achieve that.
- People in Bahrain aren't "into" motor-racing like some other places are. If Tony Cochrone is so desperate to have an overseas race, he should do some research into an area that is in high demand for a motorsport race (for example Indonesia or something), he shouldn't be choosing tracks just because his wallet will become fuller.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Yes, you do have to go through all your reasons. Mostly because it's a pointless waste of time on your part, and I get to have a laugh ona night when I really need one, even if it is at your expense.

It weighs in at over 5km and it's "too short"? I know the V8 track will only be 3km or so, but it's still pretty hefty. I've seen incar footage (or should that be oncar?) of the track and I have to say that while it may not be the most challenging piece of tarmac in the world, it's got plenty of corner combinations so setup will be fun.

How the hell do you expect this whole "passion" thing to kick off without some overseas lobbying? The V8s are one of the best touring car championships in the world given that it's tightly controlled between two suppliers. Watch any other series - even the Japanese SuperGT - and no-one else can do it. But if we want more people to take an active interest in it, you've got to really get out there. What if some Arab Sheik was watching, took an interest and said, "Hey, here's a few million dollars to build a world-class circuit in Australia so you can leave Ipswich"? Would you be complaining then?

Cochrane probably isn't doing it primarily for himself, but for the sport. Yeah, he may get a cut of the profits, but the V8s finally get a race on an international-standard racing circuit (even if it is only the national layout ... and excluding China; I've not idea why that fell through, but I've been out of the world for a spell).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Why is it wasting my time? I'm just sitting here waiting for you to bite back. This is kinda entertaining, better than doing assignments.
Why do you need a laugh? Is someone upset about Schumacher ;)

From above the track seems too short. When they are racing on it, it seems too short. I haven't seen any incar / onboard footage from V8s. But ever since the track was built, I have never liked it, and you know that.

Why do you always yap on about the Japanese SuperGT championship. I've never heard of it until you meantioned it yonks ago. I'd love to watch other touring car series, but where can I watch them? Japanese SuperGtT does sound interesting, as does DTM and BTCC.

The passion thing is only really done by Australia and New Zealand. They understand the Ford vs Holden rilivary, but putting a track in the middle of the sticks and having no bums on seats won't create more passion, it will cost more. Find somewhere where people would be interested in attending the event.

Our government should be investing more into circuit redevelopment, how long did it take for them to finally decide to upgrade Bathurst? Too long. They upgraded Eastern Creek, but that was only a new large tv and a new grandstand.

Cochrone is only doing it for the money. Give me one good thing he has ever done for the V8 supercar series? You'll stuggle to find one.

Enjoy your laugh :)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
It's wasting your time because you've said you hate doing it. Secretly, though, you seem to enjoy it ... and I need laugh because of a traitorous bitch two blocks over and one floor above me. Long story.

Anyway, it's a good 1:20 in an F1, I think; should be about the same on the V8 track.

I have no idea where you can watch the Japanese SuperGT, but I do know they rce across 2 categories; one for 350bhp cars and one for 500bhp, which pits 350Zs against NSXs, Lexuses and even the odd Ferrari (used to race Skyline and Supras). It's where James Courtney cut his teeth before he moved to SBR, but while the V8s are 1.5 tons taxis, the SuperGT formula is made up of hyper-fast, hyper-repsonsive racing machines, but with weight penalties for fastest laps, pole positions and previous wins to make the racing closer. Just Google it and you'll find the site.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Oh, you know I enjoy it, infact I love it.

Long story, I've got all night. Actually, maybe not. Most of the night :p

I can do Bahrain in 1:30 in an F1 v8 (ie: this years car), thats about 1 second faster than what they qualified.

I've heard James Courtney talk about it before. Especially about the weight penalties, I did think that it was a strange thing.

Google it for me. Please.
I can come up with more stupid responses to make you laugh, if you need it :)

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
Aussie tracks do need upgrades, most of them arent up to standard. If they want them to gain fans, they have to seriously upgrade tracks or look into more street tracks, bring the race to the fans.

If V8s were to go overseas, like Cape said, it would be better for them to go somewhere with an interest in the holden vs ford or the category.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
But who else has an interest in it the way we and the Kiwis do?

The way I see it, going to overseas races where there's little or no interest or market can quite easily become a good thing because it can trigger that interest and market.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
eh, someone agrees with me. Your theory is stuffed :p

I wouldn't mind another race in New Zealand (why can't they have one in the north and one in the south island).
A race in North Queensland wouldn't be bad, although not Townsville, its a hole.
Too bad the race around Homebush Bay didn't work. Actually, thats a pretty big bummer.
Get the race in Canberra back.
Find a different track in Tas other than Symmonds Plains.

See, theres plenty of options for here in Aus, no need to go half way across the world.

If people aren't interested in the motorsport category, they simply won't go. Before extending overseas (if thats what Cochrone insists on doing), maybe they should increase television coverage to overseas countries where prospect events may go. As far as I know only Bathurst is telecast around the world.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
There was talk of an Auckland street race a while back; like Homebush Bay (which I only just learned of now), nothing eventuated (or it's still under consideration).

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Auckland is not going to have the go ahead because it failed some environmental report. I think it was an Environmental Impact Assessment.

Homebush Bay is not having the go ahead simply because the state government won't put any money to it.
BUGGER THEM! Homebush bay is close to home :(
Not a 40 minute drive like it is to Eastern Creek :(

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I've even heard of a street race to be built at Manly. This would rival the Indy race, as the straight would be along the beach. However, I frequently go to Manly and that is a place not suited for V8 supercars.

I just heard this on the radio too:
A trophy named "Peter Brock Trophy" will be given to the winner(s) of the Bathurst 1000, engraved in it will be "King of the Mountain".

There will be a lap of honour, with cars driven by Peter Brock, these will be driven by his co-drivers.

The front row of the grid will remain empty.

And the 05 decals from 1997 will be supplied to all teams.

:)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Peter Brocks state funeral will be broadcasted at 11am on Tuesday on ABC, also apparently its on channel 9 and 7.

The channel 10 tribute will be broadcasted at 2:30pm next Sunday on RPM.

10 sure took their sweet ass time to actually do something :(

ohdato

HSC
There wont be a street race in Sydney ever (anytime soon) We have too many tracks that aren't used in the first place...Eastern Creek, Oran Park is in its last days and then they'll build a new FIA approved track somewhere.
But EC should be utilised fully before any street race is thought of.
More $$$ for the state to spend on our own roads :(...

So every car on the grid will be 05? lol

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
1 week until Bathurst! Anyone with any predictions?

Lowndes and Whincup to win.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
I'm hoping nobody decides it's a good idea to run with the 05 number (Brock was an HDT driver and then the outfit became HRT) because that would just be tasteless. I read the other day that in either NASCAR or IRL (or both), if a driver loses his life in a racing-related accident, his number is stricken from those available to other teams as a mark of respect - that way, no driver may carry that of a deceased racer.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Maybe they are just going to put the 05 in each corner of the windscreen of every car. Sort of like what the did at the rally in WA. I dunno =/

ohdato

HSC
Yeah they can't have every car as 05 it would be too hard for marshalls, let alone
Crompton to get it right. It'd have to be a decal to go with offical race numbers.

Looks like Lowndes is driving a HOLDEN again at Bathurst*

I'd love to see Lowndes win it, thats if everyone holds on to their wheels.
But Skaife is always good at the Bathurst and Tander is good enough for a co-driver.

*Holden Torona XU1, as part of the tribute for Brock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)