Vacuum = Medium? (1 Viewer)

webby234

HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
The only thing that is always constant is the speed of light.
It is dependant on the refractive index of the substance - the metre is the distance light can travel in 1/c seconds in a vacuum

Raginsheep

HSC
A good point to start is to define what exactally is a medium.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Medium - "An intervening substance through which signals can travel as a means for communication".

So, using that, vacuum is not a medium since it is not a substance - it is the lack of substance and matter.

I_F

Mono!

HSC
The aether was a way for scientist of the day to explain how light travels at the time em waves had juts been detected plsu every other wave that was known at the time needed a medium

eX-Bhai

HSC
Riviet said:
My physics teacher argued that a vacuum could be considered as a medium because i medium does not necessarily mean that an energy source must "depend" on it to be transmitted, it can just be described as "light travelling through space, the medium". But that's just his point of view.
Thats exactly what I was thinking and hence the catalyst behind this question.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
as mono said ... aether was the supposed "medium" in which occupied space & was a medium for light.

but it was proved wrong by some experiment that ... did stuff. forgot the experiment. i think it was the michaelson-dorsely? experiment.

and yerh ....

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
eX-Bhai said:
Is a vacuum classified as a medium?.. cauz im like totally lost about this Aether stuff.. if it isnt a medium, then it all makes sense..
Vacuum is not a medium, at least I don't think.

Aether is a medium, but that is not really there. It's been proven wrong by morison experiment...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)