Veterinary Science USYD (1 Viewer)

Jewls

HSC
N/A
Hi guys, my atar is 97.05 and I really want to do veterinary science next year, I passed STAT (got over 150) I've done around 80 days of work experience and I also ranked in the state for senior science. Will they take into consideration my state ranking, and also do you think the atar will go down enough for me to get in this year (this year it was either 97.35 or .25 I've heard differently from different sites and it has been progressively going down every year)? Perhaps in the late round? thanks any advice would be appreciated :)
Direct from USyd website: http://sydney.edu.au/vetscience/bvsc/entry.shtml
2010 - 98.1 (ATAR) Australian veterinary graduate unemployment 9%
2011 - 97.55 (ATAR) Australian veterinary graduate unemployment 11%, USyd unemployment 16%
2012 - 97.35 (ATAR) Australian veterinary graduate unemployment 19%, USyd unemployment 20% (ie. one in five graduates can't get employment)
2013 - 'additional selection criteria', Unemployment >25%??
More stats & graphs: http://ausvetnet.wordpress.com/

Good chance with the rapidly declining employment prospects that less people will be interested in the degree and therefore reasonable fall in the ATAR. You only need a 90 to get into Vet Science at CSU plus some farm work experience.

liz2814

HSC
thanks, i got in :) i wonder why employment is falling if only 140 vets graduate a year...youd think there would be a lot of employment opportunities. Oh well im psyched that I got in :D

Jewls

HSC
N/A
thanks, i got in :) i wonder why employment is falling if only 140 vets graduate a year...youd think there would be a lot of employment opportunities. Oh well im psyched that I got in :D
The veterinary workforce in Australia is quite small compared to other industries. The number of veterinary faculties in Australia has been increased from four to seven over the last decade, a 50% increase in veterinary students. More than 80% of vets work with pets. The number of pets are declining because of several factors including more people living in units, people moving more regularly for work and possibly people are becoming more aware of the negative welfare impacts involved with leaving an animal confined for multiple hours during the day & the puppy/kitten farming plus euthanasia involved in the pet industries. People are also probably concerned about the costs of pet care. Should I spend thousands of dollars per year on a pet that will live for 15-20 years or should I go on holidays/donate to charities...

Last edited:

liz2814

HSC
How come you know so much about this? Do you also want to do vet science? :) Whether employment is falling or not it will be an amazing career with so many opportunities I wouldnt turn it down for the world.

amour

Female
HSC
How come you know so much about this? Do you also want to do vet science? :) Whether employment is falling or not it will be an amazing career with so many opportunities I wouldnt turn it down for the world.
Did you get in this year Liz? :)

Jewls

HSC
N/A
Did you get in this year Liz?
Yes I did :)
I heard of one girl who got into USyd this year with a 93 so you would have cruised it in, the girl I know works as a vet nurse so may have helped.

I have a few friends who used to be vets and changed into other professions. A fair few vets change professions because jobs are becoming hard to find, unemployment is rising, the long hours mean you don't get to see your friends/family, you have to put down a fair few animals, clinics are very quiet due to the competition meaning vets are getting bored with not much to do, and a lot of people have lost respect for vets as they look up treatments on the internet.
I hope you are one of the lucky ones that is able to get a job when you graduate.

Last edited:
R

RishadM

Jewls, I wouldn't call it lucky getting a job when you graduate with a 84% chance of getting a job with a USyd degree (even if it is decreasing).
It would actually be unlucky to not get a job; which has a 16% chance of happening. A more optimistic way to look at it. =]

Jewls

HSC
N/A
Jewls, I wouldn't call it lucky getting a job when you graduate with a 84% chance of getting a job with a USyd degree (even if it is decreasing).
It would actually be unlucky to not get a job; which has a 16% chance of happening. A more optimistic way to look at it. =]
The veterinary degree is 5-6 years (some have spent longer). About half of students spend $150,000 (Australian full fee) to $250,000 (International) plus living expenses to obtain the degree. Compare Courses rates it as the worst return on investment. I would call an 81% chance of getting a job at the end of this very poor compared to a medicine degree where you have a 98% chance of getting a job.

Also note that the veterinary unemployment has quadrupled in the last 6 years!

From Australian Veterinarian Network/GradStats:

seeking employment.jpg

Last edited:

amour

Female
HSC
you sound like a sour pussy jewls
just sayin

Jewls

HSC
N/A
you sound like a sour pussy jewls
just sayin
Am pretty sure there are plenty of unemployed vets out there that are sour pussy's. Maybe go chat to some.

Or you could google "veterinary stress", "veterinary suicide" or "veterinary unemployment".

Last edited:

liz2814

HSC
Jewls im not really sure why you think you need to prove to us that this degree is going to be useless when clearly we all want to do it? We all still want to do it...why is it that you hate vet degrees so much? Just sayin its not great to be insulting vet science in a thread full of vet students....

Jewls

HSC
N/A
I am studying a scientific discipline and have links with many vets (some who are studying things like medicine).

Last edited:

girlinterruptd

HSC
Hey!
Would people who were able to successfully transfer into Vet Science this year (2013) be able to PM? I've got a couple of questions :)
Thanks

effyhate

autism inspector
HSC
Jewls im not really sure why you think you need to prove to us that this degree is going to be useless when clearly we all want to do it? We all still want to do it...why is it that you hate vet degrees so much? Just sayin its not great to be insulting vet science in a thread full of vet students....
she's not insulting anything you naive idiot she's shedding some light on possible ugly realities that you may have to deal with

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)