Vice Chancellors Leadership Scholarship (1 Viewer)

lankmeister

HSC
Hey Leanne,
wondering how many people they take into Aspire? It's been hard finding people who are in it! :p

kateemily

HSC
Did you have to apply for aspire? i thought it was invitation only based on ATAR etc...
yes u have to apply. they wont just take anyone. think about it, i know kids that got 99+ and arent the most sociable or leadership orinetated people out there. some are more willing to put their heads in books than helping people, so when u think about it, it would be stupid of them to choose people based on atar. having said that, aspire students are those on scholarships with atars 90+, or what they call 'nurturing our high achieving students'

Hey Leanne,
wondering how many people they take into Aspire? It's been hard finding people who are in it! :p
i was told when i had my interview yesterday that they take 30 students

DominicDimech

HSC
I applied for the VC scholarship and was short-listed, meaning they asked me to come for an interview.

Does anyone know exactly how many people get short-listed and how many actually get it? I heard 5 but that makes it seem like its really hard to get it.

Kate1991

HSC
yes u have to apply. they wont just take anyone. think about it, i know kids that got 99+ and arent the most sociable or leadership orinetated people out there. some are more willing to put their heads in books than helping people, so when u think about it, it would be stupid of them to choose people based on atar. having said that, aspire students are those on scholarships with atars 90+, or what they call 'nurturing our high achieving students'

How did you apply for it? Did you have to apply for the Vice Chancellors leadership scholarship to be considered for aspire....i called up about a week ago asking if i needed to apply for it and they said no, so i don't understand...

DominicDimech

HSC
For the Vice Chancellor's Leadership Scholarship you have to apply which includes writing a personal statement. The application date has already closed for this.

For the Academic Excellence scholarship you don't have to apply, I think this was the one they were referring to

schtrevey

BBC/LLB
HSC
Are there any scholarships for continuing/current students? I didn't apply for any scholarships at UWS unfortunately:(

DominicDimech

HSC
So does anyone know how many people get interviewed and how much actually get it cos im trying to get an idea of my chances?

kateemily

HSC
So does anyone know how many people get interviewed and how much actually get it cos im trying to get an idea of my chances?
on friday i was told they were interviewing students for the first few days of this week and those chosen will be contacted around the 3rd of feb. i think it would vary each year depending on how many people put in an application for VC scholarship

leannespeaks

HSC
Hey guys,

Aspire program is an elite leadership program individually hand picked from the list of scholars in UWS. You could have a scholarship etc but its only the chosen few who will get into ASPIRE. I know heaps of UWS scholars who didnt make it into ASPIRE.
To get into ASPIRE:
- ATAR of 90 and above
- applied/received a scholarship and succeeded
-Very strong ( and I mean this ) community involvement and leadership

As for the intake, in my year..I think 30-33 students were accepted into ASPIRE . Some were interviewed by a panel, others interviewed by the scholarship coordinator , otheres received it breezly because of other means such as receiving The Most Outstanding year 11 scholarship-accepted the Academic Excellence scholarship offer then received a very high UAI/ATAR and showed strong involvement in the community that the university took notice...

In short, I cant give you guys a clear cut answers because all of us, The ASPIRIANS( as we are called now) , have got in through various means. But we have common denominators such as : 90 above ATAR, current recipient of a UWS scholarship, very strong proof of community involvement..

I apologise :(

Most interviews occur around 28-29 of Jan.( I checked it online)...

wish you all the best :D

leannespeaks

HSC
as for finding people who are in it...dont fret..the first year aspirians have to go the Awesome ASPIRE CAMP on a compulsory basis hahahaa : D :D But dont worry, most second year and third year aspirians are there to make you all feel welcome :D

Trust me, once youre in it and become very involved.like showing up to meetings/event/cocktain functions/workshops etc...you'll feel that ASPIRE is like a little family ....plus our mentors are very friendly and supportive and more happy to give you a lot of opportunities ..its really up to you to step up and become involved..

:D

TunaFish

HSC
I don't understand.

I received a Most Outstanding Year 11 Student Scholarship (whose terms stipulate that I am eligible for an Aspire interview) in 2008 and have a 90+ ATAR, yet I've heard nothing from UWS re: Aspire interviews so far.

Why :confused:

Last edited:

leannespeaks

HSC
Tunafish, did you put UWS in your top 3 prefences??? Did you accept your academic excellence scholarship???

If you did and still havent heard from them, email them entailing that you are entitled/eligible for an aspire interview.....thats what I did..

TunaFish

HSC
I just sent a long, winding email to the head of the Scholarships Unit saying why I am deserving of a shot at Aspire and I just realised I wrongly addressed Ms Forder as "Dear Ms Foster"

:bomb:

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.

To get into ASPIRE:
- ATAR of 90 and above
- applied/received a scholarship and succeeded
-Very strong ( and I mean this ) community involvement and leadership
Can I ask what kind of community involvement and leadership experience you had when you applied for Aspire?

I've done a lot of volunteer work during years 11 and 12 but my leadership experience isn't too solid. I can only mention about 2 things and they can flow into the community involvement category easily.

Last edited:

kateemily

HSC
anyone found out whether they got into aspire yet or not?

from what i was told during my interview we shouldve found out yesterday, or there abouts, so cant be too far away

Joga Bonito

HSC
I got an e-mail yesterday saying that i had been accepted into the program, unfortunately i didn't get a VC scholarship...ah well

kateemily

HSC
congrats! atleast u got a scholarship :)

im still waiting on an email. im happy with a yay or nay, but would appreciate an email right about now

jgm1806

HSC
Yeah congrats on being accepted into the program. I went for the VC scholarship too and I'm getting a little worried atm because I havn't recieved anything yet about the results of the VC. And was aspire a part of that interview, because I heard the retreat is on the 10th of Feb but I havn't heard anything about that yet either.

I was wondering if anyone else is also waiting for a reply about the results of their interview, I think I'm going to ring the scholarships office on Monday

kateemily

HSC
send an email to jude forder. i did friday arvo and thats how i found out i didnt get into aspire. i thought it was incredibly pathetic on their half for not notifying ppl when, i no i was told we'd find out on the 3rd. if i was told and i was unsuccessful, i wonder how many other ppl were told that and then not told their result. if u dont no itd be highly likely u didnt get in unfortunately :( after thursday i knew there was a very low chance of me getting in, they wouldve had 2 have told me with minimal 5 days notice b4 the retreat...

aspire interview was for ppl who held a scholarship and were invited to an interview, but who werent successful enough to get a VC interview, and the VC interview was for the scholarship + aspire cos candidates are automatically put into the aspire program :) hope that makes sense and goodluck with finding out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)