Victims or complicit? (1 Viewer)

Complicit or victims in their situation?

• Complict

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Victim

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Stephen J. Dubner in the Freakonomics blog said:
In today’s Washington Post, there’s an incredibly affecting long article about a down-and-out family in Indiana. It’s called “Nowhere to Go But Down.” Husband and wife have both lost their jobs; there’s a teenage son and a very young daughter, and it looks like they’re all going to have to move back to Michigan to live in the basement of the wife’s mother. I urge you all to read it, and to look at the photo gallery too.

The thing is, I wonder in which direction most of you will be affected when you read it. There are a variety of options. Some readers will see the family as innocent victims of a brutal economy. Others will see them as entirely responsible for, or at least deeply complicit in, their economic failure.
What Does This Sad Story Say to You? - Freakonomics Blog - NYTimes.com

Where do you stand on this family and why?

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
I think they're both. While it's certainly not the husband's fault that he lost his job, he didn't respond very well. I also think it's hardly fair to ask about the family's complicity - the alcoholism and lack of interest in job hunting seems to be something restricted to the husband.

I found his propensity for alcohol in time of financial pressure to be disgusting, the lack of finances ensured his entire family 'had no outlet' and that money spread throughout the week would make the difference between having bloody pancakes for dinner and being able to eat properly or, if saved, fix the car or whatever.

Also not a fan of not even submitting the job application - submit everything because I mean, if you're desperate to this degree then you do something and it makes me wonder how many things did he refrain on doing? How much did he let his depression ruin them by refusing to go into town for a job?

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I would say they are mostly victims, but bad choices have made their situation a lot worse than it could be. Rather than saving money while he was making big money, he decided to spend up big at the bar for him and his mates [reminds me of that big brother winner who went through his entire winnings in a year spent purely on alcohol for him and his mates at the bar]

Rather than spending his money wisely he decides to get dunk, buy pepsi and ciggies and splash out on a party he cant afford for his mates. Rather than look for another job, he stays at home because he cant justify spending petrol[but he can justify sinking 8 beers and driving home drunk wtf].

He is depressed though and thats obviously a contributing factor, but it seems like he has given up on life. He even breifly contemplates furthering his education so he can get a job, but decides not to, because he thinks for some reason he is entitled to big money for no effort with his "glass fitting" diploma lol.

the wife isnt much help either, does nothing, half heartedly looks for jobs, and when one does shop up ,she decides not to take it because unemployment pays more....all the while she is eating subway and spending on unnecessary stuff.

I do feel bad for them though, especially the kids and the girlfriend. If it was any other time their habits wouldnt be a problem [and would even be considered normal and not "big spending" at all] but they live in bad times in a bad area for jobs [and decide to move to an area with even less jobs lol] with no prospects and no hope and no effort when something comes along.

Someone who was resilient could overcome this, or atleast continue to survive, they have allready given up and made stupid decisions along the way.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
+1 to what Sirius just said. They barely get by yet they have the cash for ciggies & drinks? Atrocious. Whilst the story did tug at my heartstrings they are complicit imo. He saved nothing whilst he was working! -even as a teen student I know enough to save a little. Frankly, if there were no social security checks they'd be pretty quick to get off their asses and get a job but no, they make more money sitting around all day making half-assed efforts to find jobs so that's how they'll stay. If there are any victims in this story it's the kids, not the parents.

X

xeuyrawp

Why should he have to start all over?
It's not like they're broke or anything, amirite?!

Says it all, really.

Edit: The son's girlfriend is pretty hot. And lol, he's on facebook.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yasser Arafat

Banned
HSC
N/A
This guy is your common bogan loser. No money for proper food but plenty for beer etc. There is always work out there for those who want it badly enough.

Edit: must be fucking hard to be unemployed and still have a better quality of life than 90% of the world lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)