Video game piracy (1 Viewer)

TacoTerrorist

HSC
What are your thoughts on pirating video games?

I don't pirate console games because it's a pain to get it mod chipped and there is no way for me to reliably get new games etc. However I have pirated some PC games. I'll stop pirating when companies in Australia stop hawking off crappy title after crappy title for $100 AUD when they are almost half price in the US.

MTP

HSC
I wont stop downloading: SNES,NES,N64,PSP,SEGA games.:)

Pirated games ftw.!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
I only pirate games I'd never buy.

HSC
I make few game purchases so when I do it's always a game worth the $80-100.

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
my ps2 is modded but i've only used it for a few burnt games, i mostly got it for imports.

Sonata

HSC
australia is slow on games, so pirating seems to be the way

666_blessings

Hi! I'm Alan...
HSC
I'm going to keep pirating until Australia starts getting games at the same time as America/Japan and at a more reasonable price. It seems stupid to pay up to double what the americans are paying for a game that's already a few months old.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I pirated heaps of games when Microsoft screwed me over with my original Xbox. I could pay them $200 and get a hard drive replacement, or pay $50 for a modchip + a larger hard drive. I went with the latter.

With this generation, the risks from having me banned from Xbox Live are too great. I would probably mod my ps3, though, if that option became available.

On PC, I typically don't pirate games for developers that I truly respect. For example, I buy all the Sam & Max games. Furthermore, they provide extra value: you buy and download them online, then they send you a special feature packed dvd when the 'season' of their games comes to an end.

Similarly, out of all my Xbox games that I didn't pirate during the last generation, the developers would include something extra sexy for it to warrant a purchase.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Meh, piracy is actually a pretty good business model - Getting a product to the consumer at the cheapest price and with the same or better quality then competitors, whilst allowing the producers of the good, to create it in the most efficient manner in order to maximize profit.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Meh, piracy is actually a pretty good business model - Getting a product to the consumer at the cheapest price and with the same or better quality then competitors, whilst allowing the producers of the good, to create it in the most efficient manner in order to maximize profit.
You're an absolute moron. You think a good business model is where you produce something at a high cost in terms of money and time and get zero return?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
yep, that's why when I'm working for P&G, I like people to steal my products off trucks, so that my company doesn't make a cent.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I pirate all my PC games because I don't spend a lot of time playing PC games, and if I didn't get them free I wouldn't be buying them. Plus it is way too easy to spend $100 only to find out that the game sucks. Somehow these game makers manage to screw up perfectly good games on a regular basis. There is no risk if you get it for free.

I don't pirate my xbox360 games but I will never buy another one in this country again. I got GTA4 for $60... it was going for up to $120 here. Biggest rip off ever.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
jumb said:
You're an absolute moron. You think a good business model is where you produce something at a high cost in terms of money and time and get zero return?
I know many people over Asia who make massive returns by mass producing pirated cds at low prices and selling it through their own stores. Even back in my highschool days, there were students selling newly released pirated moves or games that they purchased overseas for $2/cd and making a shitload of money from it. It works.

stazi said:
yep, that's why when I'm working for P&G, I like people to steal my products off trucks, so that my company doesn't make a cent.
Perhaps, it isn't an ethical manner to conduct business, as it does harm a lot of companies, but in a result-orientated world, legally acquired goods are outweighed by the number of consumers whom want to obtain a good of the same quality at a much more competitive price. Hence, why the software industries, are losing billions to pirates. Even if use a sample of the responses of the people who've replied in this thread, it will reflect it.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
I don't pirate my xbox360 games but I will never buy another one in this country again. I got GTA4 for $60... it was going for up to $120 here. Biggest rip off ever.
And going for as low as $70 bucks ?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I pirate all my PC games because I don't spend a lot of time playing PC games, and if I didn't get them free I wouldn't be buying them. Plus it is way too easy to spend $100 only to find out that the game sucks. Somehow these game makers manage to screw up perfectly good games on a regular basis. There is no risk if you get it for free.

That's why many games have demos. That's why EB games allow you to return games 7 days after purchasing.

I think you pirate cos you're too fat to go to a store.

You can also get great prices at JB on xbox 360 games. Have a look at the recent sale: lots of recently released titles for under $60.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
AsyLum said:
And going for as low as $70 bucks ?
So I still got it $10 cheaper, and I didn't have to leave my house and waste valuable time and petrol to get it.

stazi said:
That's why many games have demos. That's why EB games allow you to return games 7 days after purchasing.

I think you pirate cos you're too fat to go to a store.

You can also get great prices at JB on xbox 360 games. Have a look at the recent sale: lots of recently released titles for under $60.
Game demo's aren't always accurate reflections of the finished game. Like I said, I don't play them that much, if they weren't free I wouldn't buy them.

Yes, I am too lazy to go to a store. The closest one is probably almost an hour round trip. I have better things to do.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
I know many people over Asia who make massive returns by mass producing pirated cds at low prices and selling it through their own stores. Even back in my highschool days, there were students selling newly released pirated moves or games that they purchased overseas for $2/cd and making a shitload of money from it. It works.
Are you an idiot? They produce pirated CDs by stealing someone else's work. This money isn't taxed and is completely 'under the counter', so others don't really see the benefit from this economic boost.

The people who's work they steal eventually go out of business, as they can't afford to spend millions making the games or movies if people are just going to steal them and profit from their hard work.

If your friends also made $2 off each cd sold, they wouldn't have made that much money. Firstly, they would only sell to those in their school. This would require personal selling, which isn't the most efficient method of sales. They couldn't expand (as you obviously can't advertise pirated cds, or even meet high demand, unless you brought others on board), so they'd probably be stuck making $50/week to a few people who wanted some of the new CD releases weekly.

Perhaps, it isn't an ethical manner to conduct business, as you're harming a lot of companies, but in a result-orientated world, legally acquired goods are outweighed by the number of consumers whom want to obtain a good of the same quality at a much more competitive price. Hence, why the software industries, are losing billions to pirates. Even if use a sample of the responses of the people who've replied in this thread, it will reflect it.
Who is gaining from piracy though? Who gains from having a movie up on torrents? People are becoming more tech-savy and relying less on purchasing pirated discs, but rather are downloading it themselves.

I now understand what you meant by a good business model, though: I think jumb and I saw your post as you saying 'companies make more money if they allow others to pirate their stuff'. In that way, yes, in the short term piracy may be a good business model, as you're getting stuff for free and reselling them at a low price in large quantities. Then you go to jail.

It is also only a great business model when there are no competitors. In Russia, for instance, having a pirated DVD stall is the same as having a food stall: relatively low margin, and no differentiation between you and 20 others stalls in the same shopping mall.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
So I still got it $10 cheaper, and I didn't have to leave my house and waste valuable time and petrol to get it.

Game demo's aren't always accurate reflections of the finished game. Like I said, I don't play them that much, if they weren't free I wouldn't buy them.

Yes, I am too lazy to go to a store. The closest one is probably almost an hour round trip. I have better things to do.
There are gaming stores in miranda, sylvania, hurstville and menai. don't you live in cronulla? I'm sure your parents could wheel you in your wheelchair to one of those stores. Can wheelchairs even support your weight?

The risk with importing from overseas is:
-Post getting stolen
-Disc getting damaged during postage
-Customs problem leading to lengthy delays
-Getting the game after the launch date (particularly with anticipated titles)
-No real way of returning back to the store if you're unhappy with the title or the disc is damaged; no after-sales support

And game demos are accurate enough representations. You can also read reviews to get a more holistic opinion.

Fat.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
stazi said:
There are gaming stores in miranda, sylvania, hurstville and menai. don't you live in cronulla? I'm sure your parents could wheel you in your wheelchair to one of those stores. Can wheelchairs even support your weight?

The risk with importing from overseas is:
-Post getting stolen
-Disc getting damaged during postage
-Customs problem leading to lengthy delays
-Getting the game after the launch date (particularly with anticipated titles)
-No real way of returning back to the store if you're unhappy with the title or the disc is damaged; no after-sales support

And game demos are accurate enough representations. You can also read reviews to get a more holistic opinion.

Fat.
I know where the stores are. No, I don't live in Cronulla.

I've never had problems with things being mailed to me before.

Some are, others aren't. I read reviews, they are not good enough either. Also, this is irrelevant, because like I said I don't pirate xbox360 games and if I couldn't get computer games free I wouldn't be buying them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)