Violence erupts in Sydney over anti-Islam film (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peccadillo

HSC
An interesting point of view. Can definitely say I agree with most of it. http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...ad-to-travel-to-reach-all-20120917-262gf.html
Whilst I agree with the general conclusion of the article I don't understand the bashing of Waleed Aly.. He also fails to recognise that predominantly muslim lands have been under rule from foreign and "un-islamic" empires for decades before September 11... Some reasonable points taken out of context from Mr Aly in my opinion.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Because multi-megaton explosions hurt?

PakiPrince

HSC
Look. Any thing (movie, cartoon, articles etc) that insults the Prophet, whether it be a poorly directed film or a well written article, will cause havoc among the Muslim community. You can't expect muslims to just let these types of things exist and flourish. Muslims are a strong, resilient community who will go out their and defend their faith, community and culture. We aren't like other communities who really don't give a damn. Muslims will go out their in numbers and protest, and rightly so. HOWEVER, it is necessary to understand that the violence last Saturday was not a true representation of the muslim community. Yes, it was poorly organised. Yes, it was not officially approved. Yes, unnecessary banners were shown. Yes, it got out of hand. Yes, this type of behavior should not be displayed in a free country like ours. BUT i have to illiterate that these were a small number of youths who were just finding an excuse for violence. A violent protest would have been inevitable anyway. Emotions run high, especially when passers by yell slur at your religion, when police spray tear gas, capsicum spray at your sisters. When the police unnecessarily confront you (which was definitely the case when people started to disperse)

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
If u didn't realise, i did initially say that they wouldn't go to war to begin with, cos both sides would have a lot to loose.
Yes, and this is what I meant when I said you post useless shit. The mutually assured destruction doctrine has been around for nearly 70 years. We are all familiar with it. It is blatantly obvious. And a discussion of Pakistan attacking India is off-topic.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Look. Any thing (movie, cartoon, articles etc) that insults the Prophet, whether it be a poorly directed film or a well written article, will cause havoc among the Muslim community. You can't expect muslims to just let these types of things exist and flourish. Muslims are a strong, resilient community who will go out their and defend their faith, community and culture. We aren't like other communities who really don't give a damn. Muslims will go out their in numbers and protest, and rightly so. HOWEVER, it is necessary to understand that the violence last Saturday was not a true representation of the muslim community. Yes, it was poorly organised. Yes, it was not officially approved. Yes, unnecessary banners were shown. Yes, it got out of hand. Yes, this type of behavior should not be displayed in a free country like ours. BUT i have to illiterate that these were a small number of youths who were just finding an excuse for violence. A violent protest would have been inevitable anyway. Emotions run high, especially when passers by yell slur at your religion, when police spray tear gas, capsicum spray at your sisters. When the police unnecessarily confront you (which was definitely the case when people started to disperse)
Pride =/= strength.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Yeah except you guys are really dumb about it

The U.S goverment doesn't own YouTube and didn't create the video. Marching up to the embassy and demanding censorship of something that upset your poor sensibilities demonstrates an extremely clear lack of understanding of how democracy (and reality lol) works. Not that you guys care about democracy or freedom of speech, though.

PakiPrince

HSC

The U.S goverment doesn't own YouTube and didn't create the video. Marching up to the embassy and demanding censorship of something that upset your poor sensibilities demonstrates an extremely clear lack of understanding of how democracy (and reality lol) works. Not that you guys care about democracy or freedom of speech, though.

Listen mate. The protests happening around the world aren't all solely based on the film. They are also in conjunction with anti-american/western sentiment, which exists for numerous reasons.

Freedom of speech? Buddy don't give me this bull. Showing a Prophet as a pedophile and womaniser is ASSAULT OF SPEECH to me. Oh yeah, and for your information Pakistan was a democracy since its creation!

7eleven

HSC
N/A

What do you mean, " you guys". It was a minority of 500 people. Plus, a lot of the protesters are familiar to me, most are uneducated dropouts from punchbowl, belmore or granville boys.

Last edited:

Peccadillo

HSC

"You guys". Was I there??? I presume "you guy's" refer's to the apologist's on here trying to remind people like you that you cannot lump the entire sydney muslim population in with this mob.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Listen mate. The protests happening around the world aren't all solely based on the film. They are also in conjunction with anti-american/western sentiment, which exists for numerous reasons.

Freedom of speech? Buddy don't give me this bull. Showing a Prophet as a pedophile and womaniser is ASSAULT OF SPEECH to me. Oh yeah, and for your information Pakistan was a democracy since its creation!
Except for all those military dictatorships where they only paid lip service to democracy. You know what North Korea's official name is? The Democratic People's Republic of Korea. Calling yourself a democracy doesn't mean shit.

Last edited:

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Its called "freedom of speech", not "freedom to hate"
One encompasses the other. Speech is as likely to be about love as it is about hate. Freedom of speech means you get both. Suck it up and don't be a pussy.

GoForTheEyes

HSC
Look. Any thing (movie, cartoon, articles etc) that insults the Prophet, whether it be a poorly directed film or a well written article, will cause havoc among the Muslim community. You can't expect muslims to just let these types of things exist and flourish. Muslims are a strong, resilient community who will go out their and defend their faith, community and culture. We aren't like other communities who really don't give a damn. Muslims will go out their in numbers and protest, and rightly so.
You might think that being "strong" about faith is admirable or something but it's not going to fly here. Most of the people on this site think that faith is retarded. And why is it right to protest at the US embassy? The US government 1) has nothing to do with YouTube and 2) has no right to punish the man who made the video.

HOWEVER, it is necessary to understand that the violence last Saturday was not a true representation of the muslim community. Yes, it was poorly organised. Yes, it was not officially approved. Yes, unnecessary banners were shown. Yes, it got out of hand. Yes, this type of behavior should not be displayed in a free country like ours. BUT i have to illiterate that these were a small number of youths who were just finding an excuse for violence.
Isn't the Sharia punishment for blasphemy death?

A violent protest would have been inevitable anyway. Emotions run high, especially when passers by yell slur at your religion, when police spray tear gas, capsicum spray at your sisters. When the police unnecessarily confront you (which was definitely the case when people started to disperse)
Did the police really start pepperspraying people/unnecessarily confronting them before the protesters got violent?

7eleven

HSC
N/A
"Isn't the Sharia punishment for blasphemy death?"- That's a grey area within islam. Some scholars agree to this, whilst several others don't. There is strong evidences which support both sides of the argument. As a personal opinion, i believe death isnt the correct punishment.

Peccadillo

HSC
You might think that being "strong" about faith is admirable or something but it's not going to fly here. Most of the people on this site think that faith is retarded. And why is it right to protest at the US embassy? The US government 1) has nothing to do with YouTube and 2) has no right to punish the man who made the video.

Did the police really start pepperspraying people/unnecessarily confronting them before the protesters got violent?
Blasphemy like any crime has levels. Not any form of blasphemy is punishable by death. Only extreme cases.

To answer your question - Rarely (in theory).

People stop regurgitating the same argument about the ineffectual premise of protesting outside the US embassy in relation to this matter. Since when have riots ever been based on anything logical?

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A

Buddy, you got it all wrong. PakiPrince is absolutely right in my view. And i'm comin from a neutral perspective here.

1)The amount of shit America does with muslims around the world is despicable. Why they interfering with the countries (by invading them, involving with arab spring etc).
2) I don't have knowledge to answer that
3) Yes, in a few circumstances they actually did. Its funny coz most of the media show the injured policeman, and how resilient he was. But then they portray the muslims as the trouble makers. Its so biased!

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
The criticism of the police response is almost as absurd as commiting murder and then having a sook when the police show up to arrest you. They were justified in their handling of the protest.

Last edited:

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
What does americas foreign policy (which I'd guess most people oppose in this forum) have anything to do with a private citizen creating a hateful video? It seems like the media coverage is fairly accurate in making the assumption that the protest was nothing more than an excuse to go crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)