Viva Voce (Instrument & its repertoire) (1 Viewer)

cherii2007

HSC
Hi, I am a '10 HSC student, and I'm doing Music 1. I have my first assesesment coming up and it's a viva. I've kind of got what to expect sussed out, but I just want to make certain that my question is okay...

A wide variety of guitar techniques are used in classical/rock music. What is the impact of these techniques on musical compositions?

I'm not really sure if I'll be doing classical OR rock, but that's my question. How many guitarists would I have to talk about as examples? Would I even NEED guitarists? Would I do fine just by doing live examples and maybe some recordings?

Thanks for reading, and please reply with your opinions/ideas. :)

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
I don't know if you'd have to talk about specific guitarists but more compositions where the guitar is one of the main instruments. This is because the question doesn't exactly refer to specific guitarists, just techniques and how they impact classical and/or rock music.
How about comparing the two styles of guitar if you're unsure whether to talk about classical or rock (unless you specifically have to talk about one)? Vivas like that are always pretty interesting in my opinion. So talk about how certain techniques have impacted classical music, then do the same with rock and compare and contrast the two.

jet

Banned
HSC
You talk about the techniques and what they add to the composition.

Do NOT talk about history at all. This is music, not a history class.

Live examples are good, so are recordings. Try and get some scores as well if you can.

Did you develop that question or was it given to you? It shouldn't really be a question - more a 'title'.

cherii2007

HSC
@Cinnamonster: I like your idea. Thanks! I think I'll do that. :)

@jetblack2007: I made the "question" up, but now I'm going to change it.

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
@Cinnamonster: I like your idea. Thanks! I think I'll do that. :)

@jetblack2007: I made the "question" up, but now I'm going to change it.
You're welcome :)
Just have a talk with your teacher about it first to make sure they agree with the comparison idea. My teacher never had a problem with vivas like that but it's still good to make sure your teacher is okay with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)