Volumes Q (1 Viewer)

Makematics

HSC
so guys, this is an 8 mark volumes question 8 from a past trial from my school. my school often misallocates marks, but this was a shocker...
anyways for some reason my answer is slightly different from the solution, and it is driving me nuts because i cant find any mistakes in my work or the solutions.
Find the volume of the solid generated by rotating the region common to the circles x^2 +y^2 = 16 and x^2 + y^2=8x about their common chord.

i know, it is insane that 8 marks would be given for such a simple question...

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
The areas on either side of the chord are the same, also the area underneath the x-axis is same as above x-axis, so we can split the volume into a quarter piece which is the volume generated by rotating the region from x=2 to x=4 and y=0 and y=sqrt(16-x^2)

using shells

Is this correct?

Makematics

HSC
The areas on either side of the chord are the same, also the area underneath the x-axis is same as above x-axis, so we can split the volume into a quarter piece which is the volume generated by rotating the region from x=2 to x=4 and y=0 and y=sqrt(16-x^2)

using shells

Is this correct?
no i think delta V should be 4pi times the stuff in the brackets, though i guess it depends on what your delta v is. i did shells too, but the solution did it by slices so its hard to compare.
yet your volume is double the volume in the solutions. i think you took a quarter instead of one half. since you are rotating t about x=2, the rotation already covers it if that makes sense.
i think im integrating it wrong... but i cant see where

Last edited:

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
no i think delta V should be 4pi times the stuff in the brackets, though i guess it depends on what your delta v is. i did shells too, but the solution did it by slices so its hard to compare.
yet your volume is double the volume in the solutions. i think you took a quarter instead of one half. since you are rotating t about x=2, the rotation already covers it if that makes sense.
i think im integrating it wrong... but i cant see where
Yep that was silly of me

For integrating its best to expand, the first term xsqrt(16-x^2) is easily dealt with reverse chain rule/easy sub, the second one is done better geometrically by taking the appropriate segment of the circle.

Makematics

HSC
Yep that was silly of me

For integrating its best to expand, the first term xsqrt(16-x^2) is easily dealt with reverse chain rule/easy sub, the second one is done better geometrically by taking the appropriate segment of the circle.
yep i split it, i think im stuffing up the first one. what do you get for 4pi times integral of x sqrt(16-x^2)dx

Makematics

HSC
OMG GOOD GOD... WORST MISTAKE... on the very last line... trust me to check it over like 10 lines and not pick it up. alright well thanks for helping :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)