Volvos (1 Viewer)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Are they like, any good? 9 grand for a 2.3 turbo from 2000 doesn't seem too bad given the level of equipment etc in it. Decent engine/brake/suspension setup and these cars look like a decent amount of fun. Would be looking at something from 2000-05 because theres no way in hell I could fork out 70k for a new one once I come off ps.

So, anyone know what these are like? Still see a fair few of the old ones going around so the build must be half decent. Don't think I've heard of a volvo having the same problems as a hyundai but would love to hear if you have. Also completely fine with driving a volvo so don't even bring that one up.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
My uncles pretty keen on them, he's had about 4 of them over the past 15 years. They're pretty reliable he says. Decent interiors if my memory serves me correct.

philphie

Banned
HSC
they are built solid and most people believe they are the safest cars to drive. i hear sat nav is a disaster though

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
JOining the Cullen family?

But seriously, a family friend who has one loves hers to pieces. Just don't expect costs to be as cheap as a Hyundai.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
We have a v70 from 2000

Definitely get the turbo!! Dad still laments not getting it

They eat up petrol like crazy - the tank is about 70L so have fun with that...

The brakes are great - so smooth

They are pretty big (the station wagons) so it can be a bit shit parking, but you get used to it

They are nice cars, just expensive to run/maintain

Good sound system, comfy seats

Edit: we haven't really had any problems with it - I remember taking it to be serviced because some warning light came on and it was a few hundred dollars to fix whatever it was but that's it as far as I know

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Newer Volvos are very different to the old and have a much more sporty theme (both inside and out). Some even have better performance credentials. That being said, a 2000 model may have been just at the turning point so it'd depend on the model.

Anyway, back to your original questions, build quality on a Volvo should be fine. They're built tough. Maintenance costs are typical European and parts can be difficult to come by (hence making them expensive to maintain/repair). That being said if you find a good used example, it should be fine and will probably do you well. Wait until you're closer to when you're off your P's, post your budget, and we'll all chime in :)

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
the mark is somewhere around 15k
which leaves a bit of change for onroads and comp insurance

its a shame that only beigers have bought volvos and they've all opted for auto boxes, ESPECIALLY on the turbo models

EDIT: def going for a turbo, off restrictions in april, looking to buy around june/july

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
was 2000 when they got bought out by ford? because thats when they moved off from the box designs.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
the mark is somewhere around 15k
which leaves a bit of change for onroads and comp insurance

its a shame that only beigers have bought volvos and they've all opted for auto boxes, ESPECIALLY on the turbo models

EDIT: def going for a turbo, off restrictions in april, looking to buy around june/july
I've never driven a turbo volvo but unless you're one of those guys who definitely wants a manual, I highly recommend you try driving it first. I've found that a lot of quality automatic transmissions (i.e. well tuned and designed) are actually quite good at complementing the characteristics of the engine/car... and I'm inclined to think Volvo wouldn't have cheaped out on this.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
What do you mean? More than happy to take one for a spin and lets be honest I'm not expecting much from a low pressure turbo but I doubt the auto would be anything special like (obviously not a proper comparison) a DSG box.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What do you mean? More than happy to take one for a spin and lets be honest I'm not expecting much from a low pressure turbo but I doubt the auto would be anything special like (obviously not a proper comparison) a DSG box.
Some auto boxes such as those in newer cars are more finely tuned and have much better programming to both shift at more appropriate points based on factors other than engine load as well as the ability to 'learn' the driver's style. It's difficult to describe but everyone has driven a shocking automatic at least once in their life and knows how inadequate it is at shifting at the correct point, but a good automatic, whilst not lightning fast, can make driving a very comfortable experience.

Of course it won't offer the advantages of a DSG box which are ultra fast shifts in what is otherwise a manual transmission (as in, it offers a lot of the disadvantages of the manual transmission like rollback on hills due to no creep like an automatic to hold it).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
What is the exact model you're looking at? I'm not a Volvo expert by any means and the closest I've been to them is when I'm wandering around car dealerships and looking inside (my sister was going to buy a C30 at one point).

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Was looking at a C70. Would consider an S70 too, except I was skimming over the NA ones, then skimming over whatever else wasn't manual lol.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
While there's probably no difference here between a volvo and a saab, I'm inclined to the list of standard features. Admittedly I haven't even bothered looking at a saab ad, chances are I won't.

The volvo just looks better, imo. That's about 60% of my vote right there.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think more modern SAABs have really lost the plot trying to stay too true to their "heritage" though whereas Volvo successfully reinvented themselves into a much more hip and quality brand. SAAB's lack of innovation both in design and technologies makes me question how to justify the premium they charge... at least Volvo promises safety features which are new and unique.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
But GM-Saab didn't try to stay true to their heritage, which is entirely their problem. They destroyed their signature style (the hatch) and pretty much tried to become a clone of Volvo, but crappier and more expensive.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
But GM-Saab didn't try to stay true to their heritage, which is entirely their problem. They destroyed their signature style (the hatch) and pretty much tried to become a clone of Volvo, but crappier and more expensive.
Happy 5000th post!

Anyway I was thinking more along the lines of SAAB trying too hard to stick to their old models without reinventing/upgrading them or at least doing some kind of facelift. They tried too hard to rely on heritage to sell cars (i.e. the brand) without adding value. Like you said, it essentially became a generic car company without much innovation or exclusivity.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
For those of you playing at home, I've decided I'll be getting either a saab 9-3 vector or a volvo C70 coupe. Budget is 14k even, which will be had in 3-4 months. Looking as early as 98 for a volvo or 03 for the saab (which still come in a bit cheaper despite age and KM readings). A bit over 2k for comprehensive on both, almost identical greenslips.

From what I've gathered through the last 3 weeks of intensive research, running costs are almost identical and they're pretty reliable. Nowwwwww we just play the waiting game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)