WAM boosters (1 Viewer)

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Want to know some WAM boosters from both the science faculty and general electives

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
^Are these courses meant to be super easy with low alignment/scaling (whatever it is for uni)?

Because shouldn't it be like HSC how all students are measured equally on the performances with scaling and alignment of assessments, regardless of the course they take?

D94

HSC
N/A
^Are these courses meant to be super easy with low alignment/scaling (whatever it is for uni)?
They are easy because the course content is easy and the assessments are easy. There may not be any scaling involved, hence why students consider some subjects as WAM boosters for everyone.

Because shouldn't it be like HSC how all students are measured equally on the performances with scaling and alignment of assessments, regardless of the course they take?
No, almost every course is independent of each other. The only courses that any form of comparison scaling would be a normal course and its higher version, e.g. Maths 1A and Higher Maths 1A.

The 'scaling' process can be done by the course convenor or afterwards, by the Faculty Assessment Review Group. But this is usually based on the final exam, whether it was easier than previous years, whether any grades have more students than normal etc.

Courses in one faculty are not compared to another. Even in the same schools, courses are not compared based on apparent difficulty. But students in the same program will do almost the exact same courses, so it wouldn't really matter.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
They are easy because the course content is easy and the assessments are easy. There may not be any scaling involved, hence why students consider some subjects as WAM boosters for everyone.
Ok that makes sense. You're saying they are considered boosters because everyone has to do them (or similar to them) right?

No, almost every course is independent of each other. The only courses that any form of comparison scaling would be a normal course and its higher version, e.g. Maths 1A and Higher Maths 1A.

The 'scaling' process can be done by the course convenor or afterwards, by the Faculty Assessment Review Group. But this is usually based on the final exam, whether it was easier than previous years, whether any grades have more students than normal etc.

Courses in one faculty are not compared to another. Even in the same schools, courses are not compared based on apparent difficulty. But students in the same program will do almost the exact same courses, so it wouldn't really matter.
Fair enough. So only courses like MATH1131 and MATH1141 are scaled between each other instead to make it fair for the students who did similar courses of different difficulties (like someone doing 2-unit maths and someone doing general maths)?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ok that makes sense. You're saying they are considered boosters because everyone has to do them (or similar to them) right?
Pretty sure he meant that the content in the subjects in question is pretty easy and there is no/little (negative) scaling meaning they act as a WAM booster for the whole cohort as you're relative performance isn't much of a concern.

On topic, can't believe no one has mentioned "Introduction to Astronomy". Not even a UNSW student and have heard much about that subject.

D94

HSC
N/A
No, I meant the content and assessments are very easy so it's easy to achieve HD; and if the course has no negative scaling, then it would probably be considered a WAM booster.

Fair enough. So only courses like MATH1131 and MATH1141 are scaled between each other instead to make it fair for the students who did similar courses of different difficulties (like someone doing 2-unit maths and someone doing general maths)?
Only MATH1131 and MATH1141 would have scaling that affects each other because one is the higher version of the other. Students have the option to choose either the normal or higher versions, and both count towards the same degree, so scaling is to ensure there is no real advantage/disadvantage in choosing either.

But MATH1141 has no bearing on MMAN3200 or ACTL1122 or BIOS2621 etc. Even if one may be perceived as more difficult than another, they aren't compared to each other if or when scaling occurs. On a superficial level, an 80 in each course is exactly the same.

HSC
Uni Grad
General education electives:

I heard a course called Personal Finance is good to take; its a wam booster and it is quite useful. Just keep note that only non-ASB students can take such a course.

PHYS1160 (Introduction to Astronomy) is good too, although I heard it is getting harder because more and more people keep taking it. Try something like PHYS1110 or PHYS1111 (Introduction to Physics).

I could suggest other easy electives such as MATH1011, MATH1031, MATH1041 and CHEM1001 (Introductory Chemistry, not Chemistry A, which can be a WAM killer). Basically such courses are easy because not much understanding is required and/or a part of the content of their respective standard courses are covered but within a span of a term.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
No, I meant the content and assessments are very easy so it's easy to achieve HD; and if the course has no negative scaling, then it would probably be considered a WAM booster.
ok now I get it.

Only MATH1131 and MATH1141 would have scaling that affects each other because one is the higher version of the other. Students have the option to choose either the normal or higher versions, and both count towards the same degree, so scaling is to ensure there is no real advantage/disadvantage in choosing either.

But MATH1141 has no bearing on MMAN3200 or ACTL1122 or BIOS2621 etc. Even if one may be perceived as more difficult than another, they aren't compared to each other if or when scaling occurs. On a superficial level, an 80 in each course is exactly the same.
Is it kind of like aligning raw marks in the exams?

For example, a 70% raw in MATH1131 may get the same final band mark as a 60% raw in MATH1141.
Say they both give a distinction of 80. Is this the process?

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Thanks. Just came across the personal finance one. looks like a course that teaches great life skills.

Thnaks for the suggestions everyone. Probably wont be able to do the MATH and CHEM ones so anything else is a welcome suggestion!

D94

HSC
N/A
Is it kind of like aligning raw marks in the exams?

For example, a 70% raw in MATH1131 may get the same final band mark as a 60% raw in MATH1141.
Say they both give a distinction of 80. Is this the process?
Not sure, this information isn't made public. The overall cohort performance is also a factor. Any subject can be scaled based on whatever set of criteria. Maybe only a certain amount of students can achieve the top grade, or maybe the difficulty of the exam compared to previous years is harder, and this cohort achieved about the same, so everyone gets scaled up etc.

I recall one section of the final exam was the same in MATH1131 and MATH1141, so I believe that is used to determine the quality of the 2 cohorts and then whatever scaling is applied to ensure fairness.

Some courses may have no scaling, or even negative scaling of the raw marks. It's all up to the course convenor and the Faculty Assessment Review Group.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Not sure, this information isn't made public. The overall cohort performance is also a factor. Any subject can be scaled based on whatever set of criteria. Maybe only a certain amount of students can achieve the top grade, or maybe the difficulty of the exam compared to previous years is harder, and this cohort achieved about the same, so everyone gets scaled up etc.

I recall one section of the final exam was the same in MATH1131 and MATH1141, so I believe that is used to determine the quality of the 2 cohorts and then whatever scaling is applied to ensure fairness.

Some courses may have no scaling, or even negative scaling of the raw marks. It's all up to the course convenor and the Faculty Assessment Review Group.
Ok thanks. I'll enrol into MATH1141 and see how I go.

D94

HSC
N/A
Ok thanks. I'll enrol into MATH1141 and see how I go.
I think it's worth it, and it helps in 2nd year courses as well. We covered a topic, I guess in more detail, and it came up again in a 2nd year course. But my friend who did the normal maths didn't have any idea, or couldn't recall it being in the normal maths course. Definitely helps, and my experience tells me the scaling is pretty good for the effort you put in.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Plus, if you're at all interested or excel in mathematics, you should take the Higher course anyway. Challenge yourself.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Plus, if you're at all interested or excel in mathematics, you should take the Higher course anyway. Challenge yourself.
Yeah I will.

I had a look at the tutorial questions D94 linked me to a while back and printed out some.

I've already covered a large portion of it in MX2 and I don't see a reason as to why it would be much harder than any way (its just new stuff and all you need is practice).

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Someone on here mentioned PHYS1110. Intrigued by the complete online nature of the course. What are the things they put online like and is it easy to stay up to date with it? If someone has done it Id love to read a quick subject overview :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)