Want to brainstorm the concept of belonging with me? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
Hey guys,

I thought it might be good to get everyone's ideas on the AOS concept - Belonging.

We can all help each other, you never know, we may come up with some brilliant ideas =D

Cheers,

Ash xo

bubblesss

HSC
Ashabella said:
Hey guys,

I thought it might be good to get everyone's ideas on the AOS concept - Belonging.

We can all help each other, you never know, we may come up with some brilliant ideas =D

Cheers,

Ash xo

haven't done this at school yet
but beonging includes the two links of belonging and not belonging in a particular place at a particular time etc.....

v.ray

HSC
Relationship
Affinity
Acceptance
Fellowship
Association
Loyalty
Attachment
Inclusion
Rapport
Affiliation
Kinship
Togetherness
Closeness
Membership
Community
Solidarity
Family
Understanding
Conformity

this is taken from http://www.insidebreak.org.au/belonging.html#hsc8 as "exploring the concept of belonging" it was very helpful for me

also when looking at belonging you have to look at not belonging.

Last edited:

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
when thinking of BELONGING we also have to think of ALIENATION.

TunaFish

HSC
Something interesting that we discussed in class today was that the concept of belonging, to an extent, is based on the alienation of people who do not belong to that group or entity.

I've never thought of it that way before.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
yeah a lot of people have said stuff about needing to consider the inverse qualities of belonging as well.

last year our year did 'the outsider' as the basis for our preliminary work. which was a pretty big help to understanding belonging from that perspective

cerys

because i can.
HSC
I've been finding 'Belonging' quite hard for some reason...

It seems very subjective and.... Journey and Change are much easier :(

Please put more ideas into this thread so I can leech off them and learn :karate:

bbbv

HSC
although in a way everyone does belong
we all belong as a part of the human race
and within this group we can either belong or not belong to a variety of littler groups eg. age, gender, cultures, religions etc

v.ray

HSC
"The finest thing in the world is knowing how to belong to oneself." ~Michel de Montaigne, Of Solitude

i thought this was a good quote, as it makes you think, you have to belong to yourself before you belong to society etc

imanfakoua@msn

HSC
Belonging deals with many things one may be the idea of belonging to the outer environment. It does not necessarily mean a group or community look into a poem called my country, through this poem the environment plays the dominant role hence showing the responder the writers sense of belonging to theouter envrionment (nature).

curious george

HSC
yes belonging involves both aspects of acceptance, connection and alienation, isolation and exclusion. In dealing with such concepts, issues such as the ideal of one choosing to be isolated or excluded as a result of their differing views needs to be considered. also, the ideal of a person changing and adapting to belong and be accepted to a group. personally, i think that belonging is an easy concept because it is so broad and can be explored to what ever depth an individual decides to take it.

mackento

HSC
Belonging is a tricky concept, as you can argue that people who dont want to belong actually "belong" to a group of people who dont want to belong. But what is belonging? One idea is that you belong when you feel comfortable with people who have similar objectives, goals, aims as you. But, as i realised while analysing a poem as practice, if you dont feel comfortable with the group you believe you belong to, then even if you have the same goals, for example, a soccer team. Even tough everyones goal is to win, should the team not befirend you, make you feel ostracised, then you dont REALLY feel that you belong to the team, do you? is it possible to belong in name, yet to your mind, not belong?

Last edited:

KillerIsMe

Very Special Master
HSC
Belonging is security, where you belong is where you feel safe from threat and from being misunderstood. To belong is to understand unspoken codes of the people you live with and to share their values. Not only do people understand what you say, but what you mean… and can accept you as an individual in their society.
while we try to understand belonging as an idea, it is extremely subjective, it is not in itself a cognitive concept, but rather an affective one – we can only feel we belong. All objective criteria, such as roots, culture and values for belonging may be checked off but unless we FEEL we belong, we remain an outsider.
Hope that helped a little.
Ashley.

Super.Nova

HSC
One thing that a lot of teachers seem to emphasize is the context of which the belonging or the alienation is presented.
Of course the notion of belonging is going to be applicable to a lot of texts, but the cultural/moralistic values and ideologies supported at the time of which a text was set is vitally important to why one may or may not belong.
For example, a poem written 160 years ago (say Emily Dickinson) would have a completely different meaning to if that poem had been written today, mainly because society has changed so much.
I know it seems obvious, but belonging is more contextually based, as opposed to going on a 'journey'.
Hope this helps somehow :D
:guitar:

loz8092467

HSC
IM curently attempting to write an essay on this right now.
BORING

Belonging is an inevitable human condition which empowers an individual for better or sometimes for worse. In the Theorist Maslow’s perspective to belong is a need which is placed above health and safety. Belonging and being granted approval and acceptance to people, places, groups, communities and the greater world has many positive aspects and ultimately defines our identity as an individual. In comparison to belonging we find the isolation and exclusion of not belonging. Belonging is an Perennial condition which is shown present in the era of Emily Dickinson’s Poetry.

manoo

:.:.:Charmed Member:.:.:
HSC
v.ray said:
Relationship
Affinity
Acceptance
Fellowship
Association
Loyalty
Attachment
Inclusion
Rapport
Affiliation
Kinship
Togetherness
Closeness
Membership
Community
Solidarity
Family
Understanding
Conformity

this is taken from http://www.insidebreak.org.au/belonging.html#hsc8 as "exploring the concept of belonging" it was very helpful for me

also when looking at belonging you have to look at not belonging.

This was helpful. thanks! I was really stuck on which texts to use.:)

alisondance

HSC
Belonging is a state of being we ourselves create through the experiences we allow ourselves to have and the ways in which we choose to live our lives.

rubookmark

HSC
Uni Grad
Belonging, is very hard to define, simply because that it means a different thing to each person. Belonging, to me, is the yearning in everyone to feel important and understood for who they really are.

I also think that the concept of belonging is more about the idea of NOT belonging. All those texts about belonging always focuses on the characters that do not in fact belong (or feel they don’t belong).

Belonging may not always be a good thing. Peer pressure can influence people to do things that they know is wrong. For example in Arthur Miller’s Crucible, belonging to the society led to mass hysteria and the multiple hangings of innocent people.

There are also some people may not want to belong. There are individuals who would rather not “conform” to society. It may be because they don’t agree to the way things are done or because they think it it will strip away their own individuality.

tinamuffins

HSC
Well i'm doing ' The immigrant Chronicles' at school and i have a lot of notes if anyone's interested. I Also have a feature article which explores the reason behind the humanistic need to belong..
Anything else would be great:)

4u english, 2u math, chem, bio

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)