WARNING to all students look for tutors. Most are greeedy, too expensive. (3 Viewers)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Wow, you got 99.95. You crammed yourself in a room and studied 24/7. That means nothing at university!
People EARN scholarships, that's a fact.

What is also a fact is that if a person is stupid enough to pay large amounts of money for a mediocre tutor, its not the tutor's fault but that person's.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Please refrain from abusing one other thanks.

deswa1

HSC
1. I go to a public school. A lot of my friends go to private schools (some elite and some 'ordinary'). Just going to a private school doesn't make you a douchebag and just going to a public school doesn't make you a hero. I know a lot of great people from both systems and I know a lot of drops from both as well.
2. What mirakon keeps saying is right- You have to earn scholarships. You don't just get scholarships for going to Grammar or whatever, at the end of the day it comes down to merit.

Examine

same
HSC
I find that tutors generally have no idea about what they are doing. When my parents called to see how I was doing, he had no idea about my progress. I used to have one for English and it didn't help me boost my marks, yes he gave me advice but not much more than my teachers. The only good thing tutors provide is guidance in related texts for English otherwise tutors are just re spewing crap that you have already learned. Tutors are there for the money. If they really want to help kids, I would rather see them in front of the whiteboard/blackboard in a school with a piss poor reputation and help those kids, not those with cashed up parents.
BTW, I go to a non-selective public school and no longer goes to tutor.
You say this like everybody does everything because of the kindness in their heart and the warm feeling they get of helping people.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
TBH I asked outside of BoS what HS and Uni students would pay or expect to pay for tutoring, most his $50 or more.

Upon asking why one answered with this:
I see tutors as casual lecturers or teachers, they work obscure hours and not many at that.

^Which is true, i was tutoring R at 8PM week nights, the only reason i was cheap was because the fella was mentally slow and i felt bad that he had to seek outside tuition to compensate for his lecturers short comings.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
The OP sounds like a tutor who failed to obtain any students at all.

HSC
N/A
unfortunately for you, having man titties the size of a country and the intellect of a constipated two year old on crack doesn't mean much in university either.

People EARN scholarships, that's a fact.
What is also a fact is that if a person is stupid enough to pay large amounts of money for a mediocre tutor, its not the tutor's fault but that person's.
Do you honestly think the university cares how many people with 99.95 come to the uni?

It is already well known that high school marks are only weakly correlated to university marks.

I got a Dean's Award from UNSW ASB and I swear to god I was the only person at the informal presentation that wasn't in a business suit or on Co op or some other scholarship. I was probably the only person that came from a public high school.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
1.Do you honestly think the university cares how many people with 99.95 come to the uni?

2. It is already well known that high school marks are only weakly correlated to university marks.

3. I got a Dean's Award from UNSW ASB and I swear to god I was the only person at the informal presentation that wasn't in a business suit or on Co op or some other scholarship. I was probably the only person that came from a public high school.
1. Duh, hence why they offer scholarships, and in Usyd's case, certain courses ONLY for these people.
2. Completely irrelevant to what i was saying. I never said such a correlation existed. I simply said that people earn scholarships and its not just "handed" to them for going to a private school.
3. What's your point? You won an award, good for you, it proves nothing about what we were talking about lol.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Do you honestly think the university cares how many people with 99.95 come to the uni?

It is already well known that high school marks are only weakly correlated to university marks.

I got a Dean's Award from UNSW ASB and I swear to god I was the only person at the informal presentation that wasn't in a business suit or on Co op or some other scholarship. I was probably the only person that came from a public high school.
Well, congrats on that... I suppose.

But I think the fact that you were the only person not in a business suit there means that you probably were supposed to wear a suit.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
You can get scholarships by doing just as well at a public school.

HSC
N/A
Well, congrats on that... I suppose.

But I think the fact that you were the only person not in a business suit there means that you probably were supposed to wear a suit.
Well, I wasn't the only one without a suit. But a lot of them were in suits. I guess all those private school kids thought it was a good time to show of their wealth and what not. They fail to realise that none of that matters at university. You don't wear $10 000 uniforms to university. Everyone is equal, just like in a public school.

You are not impressing anyone with your business suits.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Why not?

I think employers would rather employ people from public schools. Think about it, someone from a public school, in general, would have a lot harder time getting into university. I know that if I was ever hiring people I would rank public above private (provided they had good work ethic, good marks). People from public schools haven't been spoonfed through high school and been given scholarships through university. Also, they don't extort people with $50+/hr tutoring. Seriously, I am yet to see someone from a public school post ridiculous tutoring rates.

I know some great hardworking people from public schools that work as full time maccas managers and still manage to pull decent marks at university. They have to work for their rent etc. They don't just get a scholarship.
I actually agree with this.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, I wasn't the only one without a suit. But a lot of them were in suits. I guess all those private school kids thought it was a good time to show of their wealth and what not. They fail to realise that none of that matters at university. You don't wear $10 000 uniforms to university. Everyone is equal, just like in a public school.

But people usually look good in suits.

barbernator

HSC

there are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people that are not rich that go to private schools. Everyone is equal in most private schools as well.

HSC
N/A
there are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many people that are not rich that go to private schools. Everyone is equal in most private schools as well.
If they are so poor they shouldn't be going to private school?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)