WARNING to all students look for tutors. Most are greeedy, too expensive. (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Supply and demand dude. Consultants charge $300+/h for their expertise and youre complaining about $60+ an hour for tutoring?

go complain to apple if you don't have enough money to buy a macbook pro and can only afford a macbook.
How many consultations finished high school last year?

kooliskool

HSC
Well, getting $1500 is a bit of an overstatement. I tutor like 25 hours a week and I'm nearly really occupied (that's saying something, i'm not even going to uni this year since I graduated). It's easy to do the multiplication, but you haven't taken into the fact that are there really that much students (especially if they charge over the market price) and the time to travel or the time to match every students preference, because they can only tutor after school (and hard to tell them to come like at night). That leaves like only 2 hours each weekday for like really normal lessons of more than 1 student and like 8 hours weekends if you can really squish it and everyone is willing to come.

But I agree to charging over $40 for just those credentials is really over-pricing, because those credentials never really prove you are a good teacher/tutor. Students know after a few lessons anyway and they start to change tutors. So if you ARE an economist, you should know how economy works, there are competitions and no one can bump up the supply's price and get the same quantity. There is also a demand curve in the economy.

HSC
N/A
Well, getting $1500 is a bit of an overstatement. I tutor like 25 hours a week and I'm nearly really occupied (that's saying something, i'm not even going to uni this year since I graduated). It's easy to do the multiplication, but you haven't taken into the fact that are there really that much students (especially if they charge over the market price) and the time to travel or the time to match every students preference, because they can only tutor after school (and hard to tell them to come like at night). That leaves like only 2 hours each weekday for like really normal lessons of more than 1 student and like 8 hours weekends if you can really squish it and everyone is willing to come.

But I agree to charging over $40 for just those credentials is really over-pricing, because those credentials never really prove you are a good teacher/tutor. Students know after a few lessons anyway and they start to change tutors. So if you ARE an economist, you should know how economy works, there are competitions and no one can bump up the supply's price and get the same quantity. There is also a demand curve in the economy.
That's assuming a perfectly competitive market where everyone has perfect information (which they don't) XP . People just go for the highest price. Tutoring seems to be a relatively inelastic service. No matter what the price is, there will always be arrogant rich kids in private schools that need tutoring.

barbernator

HSC
How many consultations finished high school last year?
consultants*. Not many. But what I was highlighting was that people can charge whatever prices they want to make money. If someone is willing to pay then you can't get angry at them for charging the price. Also, you don't have to have university credentials to be able to privately tutor someone.

HSC
N/A
consultants*. Not many. But what I was highlighting was that people can charge whatever prices they want to make money. If someone is willing to pay then you can't get angry at them for charging the price. Also, you don't have to have university credentials to be able to privately tutor someone.
Who wants to bet this guy goes to a private school?

I bet this guy will probably be charging $50/hr next year.

Last edited:

barbernator

HSC
Who wants to bet this guy goes to a private school?
stereotyping now? yes I do go to a catholic private school. No i do not go to a rich private school. No, my parents are not wealthy. No I am not a prudent cunt as you were implying. I just live in the REAL WORLD.

also, i have never received tutoring

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
N/A
stereotyping now? yes I do go to a catholic private school. No i do not go to a rich private school. No, my parents are not wealthy. No I am not a prudent cunt as you were implying. I just live in the REAL WORLD. Deal with life u sore loser

also, i have never received tutoring
I was correct, that's all that really matters. You know I remember back in year 7 when I really wanted to go to a private school because all of the people from my primary school were going. Now that I have finished high school and entered university, I must say I am happy I didn't go to a private school. I like the battlers in the public school system (the students that put in effort, not the complete dropkicks). They don't get everything put on a plate in front of them , everything they get and every success is from hard work. God knows what sort of stuck up elitist I would be if I went to a private school.

barbernator

HSC
I was correct, that's all that really matters. You know I remember back in year 7 when I really wanted to go to a private school because all of the people from my primary school were going. Now that I have finished high school and entered university, I must say I am happy I didn't go to a private school. I like the battlers in the public school system (the students that put in effort, not the complete dropkicks). They don't get everything put on a plate in front of them , everything they get and every success is from hard work. God knows what sort of stuck up elitist I would be if I went to a private school.
haha fuck man, you are twisted. I wish you best of luck in life, cos atm your attitude won't get you anywhere.

Clean Sweep

HSC
I find that tutors generally have no idea about what they are doing. When my parents called to see how I was doing, he had no idea about my progress. I used to have one for English and it didn't help me boost my marks, yes he gave me advice but not much more than my teachers. The only good thing tutors provide is guidance in related texts for English otherwise tutors are just re spewing crap that you have already learned. Tutors are there for the money. If they really want to help kids, I would rather see them in front of the whiteboard/blackboard in a school with a piss poor reputation and help those kids, not those with cashed up parents.
BTW, I go to a non-selective public school and no longer goes to tutor.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
haha fuck man, you are twisted. I wish you best of luck in life, cos atm your attitude won't get you anywhere.
Why not?

I think employers would rather employ people from public schools. Think about it, someone from a public school, in general, would have a lot harder time getting into university. I know that if I was ever hiring people I would rank public above private (provided they had good work ethic, good marks). People from public schools haven't been spoonfed through high school and been given scholarships through university. Also, they don't extort people with $50+/hr tutoring. Seriously, I am yet to see someone from a public school post ridiculous tutoring rates.

I know some great hardworking people from public schools that work as full time maccas managers and still manage to pull decent marks at university. They have to work for their rent etc. They don't just get a scholarship.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I know a Pure Mathematics Honours student who works at KFC.

That's umm... interesting. I heard that first time and I was like "wait what?"

then i realised he was the type to not joke around.

HSC
N/A
I know a Pure Mathematics Honours student who works at KFC.

That's umm... interesting. I heard that first time and I was like "wait what?"

then i realised he was the type to not joke around.
That's how useful pure maths is :p

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Why not?

I think employers would rather employ people from public schools. Think about it, someone from a public school, in general, would have a lot harder time getting into university. I know that if I was ever hiring people I would rank public above private (provided they had good work ethic, good marks). People from public schools haven't been spoonfd through high school and been scholarships through university. I know some great hardworking people from public schools that work as full time maccas managers and still manage to pull decent marks at university. They have to work for their rent etc. They don't just get a scholarship.
yes because people don't earn scholarships. People just get handed the scientia scholarship to unsw for no apparent reason, right?

HSC
N/A
yes because people don't earn scholarships. People just get handed the scientia scholarship to unsw for no apparent reason, right?
Wow, you got 99.95. You crammed yourself in a room and studied 24/7. That means nothing at university!

barbernator

HSC
Why not?

I think employers would rather employ people from public schools. Think about it, someone from a public school, in general, would have a lot harder time getting into university. I know that if I was ever hiring people I would rank public above private (provided they had good work ethic, good marks). People from public schools haven't been spoonfd through high school and been scholarships through university. I know some great hardworking people from public schools that work as full time maccas managers and still manage to pull decent marks at university. They have to work for their rent etc. They don't just get a scholarship.
Ok, because youre such a wise guy, please give me some reasoning for some statements you have made.

1. How are all private school students spoonfed? people have to learn by getting information into their own head and learning it. i.e. self study.
2. How does your propensity to be able to get into a public/private school affect your work ethic?
3. People that get scholarships deserve them. Why are you shitting on them?

Also, a very small minority of students receive undergrad scholarships regardless of private/public school. There are a plethora of scholarships available within university that don't discriminate on base of atar, so your argument is invalid as public school people attend the same classes and they are solely based upon university performance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)