Was Text 3, Section 1 a Dog or Human?? (1 Viewer)

Was it text 3(the poem) from section 1 about a dog or human??

• Total voters

pink-hickup

HSC
Re: The Poem Was About A Dog?

I thought it was titled 'Darwin' because there's a Darwin Island that is a part of the Galapagos Islands, I just assumed that was the specific island he was referring to...

VU-Nit

HSC

at the end it said something like

the dog was left behind
so it wasnt about a dog

respect90

HSC

It doesn't matter if you thought it was a dog or a person. The composer's purpose, for all we know, might have been to bring us to question the perspective which the poem is coming from - and that is exactly what we are doing by arguing whether it is a human or a dog. At the end of the day, poetry can be interpreted differently by anyone. Anything in English can be interpreted differently. That is why they say your reasons for believing what you believe is what matters. As long as you give reasons for why you believe that, and your reasons are legitimate, then you have nothing to worry about.

Even my English teacher who mind you has marked the HSC in past years and is very intelligent, told me that for English, when the HSC markers mark it, they have a large list of possible answers which they mark from. Even if your answer isn't there, but they can see why and understand why you have interpreted it that way, you are still capable of getting full marks.

bao28

HSC

i took a direct approach on it, the poem was a bout a guy returning to his home town, however the QUESTION was about "when 'one'(<-- nothing is referred to) returns to their hometown' and shit like that, so it doesnt really matter whether it was a dog or not, no?

my friend said (i think he has problems cuz he said this) it WAS about a dog, and after the 'dog' left the town he become human again~ something across the lines on that

Bekhit

HSC
OK so theres alot of controversy over whether the poem in section 1 was about a dog or human n ders few threads goin round...lets end this with a poll.Please answer yes or no as to whether you interperteded it as a dog or human in the poem.

Last edited:

devilru

HSC
The poem was written by Peter Goldsworthy, who also wrote the book Maestro (a text we studied in year 11).

The book is about how he grew up in Darwin and his experiences with a German or Austrian (I forgot <_<) piano tutor and how he eventually left Darwin to become a concert pianist.

Anyway...the poem is pretty much an extension of the part of the book where he eventually returns to Darwin, and hence I conclude that the poem is not about a dog.

bao28

HSC
devilru said:
The poem was written by Peter Goldsworthy, who also wrote the book Maestro (a text we studied in year 11).

The book is about how he grew up in Darwin and his experiences with a German or Austrian (I forgot <_<) piano tutor and how he eventually left Darwin to become a concert pianist.

Anyway...the poem is pretty much an extension of the part of the book where he eventually returns to Darwin, and hence I conclude that the poem is not about a dog.
nice la, i completely forgot about his boring book, LOL

u have a VERY STRONG argument here, cuz i remember about the book now lol

edit: i actually looked at the guys name thinking, wow... so very familiar... lol and sat there for the 10 minutes reading time thinking wtf... lol the w being who

matthewford

HSC
Maybe someone should google the poem..?
Might answer all the questions dicussed here.

:D

Last edited:

bao28

HSC
matthewford said:
Maybe someone should google the poem..?
Might answer all the questions dicussed here.

:D
capped, fucken tpg, most the time they dont cap u on weekends but wtf is this shit... i got capped after using 30GB over my limit! fucken hell i wanted to do like 100's lol

besides which retard/or person with alot of time would post a poem on google other than amazon.com

Manserd

HSC

pink-hickup said:
I thought it was titled 'Darwin' because there's a Darwin Island that is a part of the Galapagos Islands, I just assumed that was the specific island he was referring to...
Wow I'm impressed that you knew that specific fact... but surely you'd have realised it was actually NAMED after Charles Darwin? That he voyaged on the Beagle was less obvious, but it still would've probably added to the whole dog thing in the poem.

Manserd

HSC

respect90 said:
It doesn't matter if you thought it was a dog or a person. The composer's purpose, for all we know, might have been to bring us to question the perspective which the poem is coming from - and that is exactly what we are doing by arguing whether it is a human or a dog. At the end of the day, poetry can be interpreted differently by anyone. Anything in English can be interpreted differently. That is why they say your reasons for believing what you believe is what matters. As long as you give reasons for why you believe that, and your reasons are legitimate, then you have nothing to worry about.

Even my English teacher who mind you has marked the HSC in past years and is very intelligent, told me that for English, when the HSC markers mark it, they have a large list of possible answers which they mark from. Even if your answer isn't there, but they can see why and understand why you have interpreted it that way, you are still capable of getting full marks.
No. Shut up and stop spouting crap. If you didn't understand that the dog was being used AS A METAPHOR then you do NOT deserve full marks.

I could also say that murder is justifiable, and give reasons for why I believe that, and my reasons are legitimate. However, that does NOT make me right.

I believe that if the HSC markers see that you wrote "it's about a dog" then they will say "No, it is not" and give you zero. You have completely misinterpreted a simple metaphor. It isn't hard.

alphaapple

HSC
UM galapogas wat has tail that drags behind it and can go in water...............
galapogas iguana :) thats what i think it was about but as the meaning behind it was the same.

respect90

HSC

Manserd said:
No. Shut up and stop spouting crap. If you didn't understand that the dog was being used AS A METAPHOR then you do NOT deserve full marks.

I could also say that murder is justifiable, and give reasons for why I believe that, and my reasons are legitimate. However, that does NOT make me right.

I believe that if the HSC markers see that you wrote "it's about a dog" then they will say "No, it is not" and give you zero. You have completely misinterpreted a simple metaphor. It isn't hard.
Well good luck with your marks then dear friend, because if you haven't learnt in the past year that what counts in the HSC for English is your justification for your arguement, then your screwed :) Not everyone picks up metaphors like that. Keep in mind the AOS paper is for both standard and advanced. They aren't going to penalise students for not interpreting it as a dog. There is no right or wrong answer in English as long as you can justify why you interpreted it that way. You know it's true.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Manserd said:

If the question was asking about an extended metaphor i would agree with you, but it does not. In short answer, so long as you answer the question, it does not matter what other useless crap you throw in, it is disregarded, its called positive marking.

EDIT: sorry not any 'useless crap', but useless crap that is considered a serious attempt but is wrong.

Last edited:

Madeleineoc

HSC
Just to make things clear, when first reading the poem i had suspected that it may be a dog, although would a dog really sit looking out the window in the cabin of a plane..
NO I don’t think so...
When reading the poem a second time it became clear that it was about the terrible cyclone that hit Darwin on the Christmas of 1974.
The 'traveller' did not want to return home.. As it devastated the town.. turning it all into rubble. They had to push the entire derby into an area and just build back over the top... practically building a new town.
Although the traveller found that when he did return to his home town that there was still one house standing... and it brought back all pleasant memories of his childhood.
the traveller then decided that it was a good thing to return home..
he left "dragging his nose behind him" shows that he was sad to leave. as he boarded the plane he took in every last detail he could.
thus proving ... IT WAS NOT A DOG!

Manserd

HSC

respect90 said:
Well good luck with your marks then dear friend, because if you haven't learnt in the past year that what counts in the HSC for English is your justification for your arguement, then your screwed :) Not everyone picks up metaphors like that. Keep in mind the AOS paper is for both standard and advanced. They aren't going to penalise students for not interpreting it as a dog. There is no right or wrong answer in English as long as you can justify why you interpreted it that way. You know it's true.
And your fine.

I know it may be true, to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean I agree with it or believe it at all. This is merely postmodern crap. You can NOT ignore what was intended by the author, and saying it was about a dog renders the poem utterly pointless and dumb.

I don't think you quite understand cause-effect relationships. I do understand that you need to justify your argument. However, my disagreeing that it was not a dog does not have ANY impact on my actual UAI or HSC mark.

And they SHOULD penalise students for interpreting it as a dog, rather than not penalising students who don't, as you said.

respect90

HSC

Manserd said:
And your fine.

I know it may be true, to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean I agree with it or believe it at all. This is merely postmodern crap. You can NOT ignore what was intended by the author, and saying it was about a dog renders the poem utterly pointless and dumb.

I don't think you quite understand cause-effect relationships. I do understand that you need to justify your argument. However, my disagreeing that it was not a dog does not have ANY impact on my actual UAI or HSC mark.

And they SHOULD penalise students for interpreting it as a dog, rather than not penalising students who don't, as you said.
Yes you're right, it won't impact on your actual UAI or HSC mark, because i'm assuming you justified your reasons for it being a dog =)

I was discussing how the markers mark.
You are discussing how you BELIEVE the markers should mark.
So clearly we are on two different levels.

Point of the story?
ENGLISH IS OVER =)

Patar

0101 0000
HSC

scatlover999 said:
u guys are all spazs
the poem was clearly about a dog
do people have tails??

u guys are all gonna get done for missing the obvious
my aunt is an hsc marker and she told me that of the three marks, the first was recognising the persona was a dog
you and your make-believe aunt can gtfo and re-evaluate your lives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)