Wat if u dont get into any course? (1 Viewer)

Leanne

HSC
hey, i was wondering....but hopefully it wont happen to me....

hypothetically, what if you dont get into any of the courses you apply for? Are you forced to defer for a year? and try again later?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
If you don't make it in to any courses based on your UAI and you still want in, you'd have to try to gain entry through another avenue, such as as a mature age student.
So you should try to be realistic with your choices so you don't miss out, because acceptance based on your UAI is the most straightforward way to get your foot in the door. There is also the option of repeating year 12 and hoping for a higher UAI. However, if you only miss out in the first round of offers, you can change them for the late round and hopefully make it through.

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I think he means If the 9 courses to apply for you couldn't get then could you still apply for lower courses that you didn't put in?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
what butterfly wings said is true - i only know of mature age student or redoing hsc

although, i am interested to find out if there r any other ways as well

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by Ragerunner
I think he means If the 9 courses to apply for you couldn't get then could you still apply for lower courses that you didn't put in?
Well if that is the case, then the answer is no-aside for changing preferences in beween rounds of offers. They only have a certain number of places in each course, and people couldn't just stick themselves into courses with lower UAIs that they didn't have as preferences-it wouldn't work out. Thats the purpose of having this system of preference selections.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
so after first round can u change preferences? or just shuffle them arounf?

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
You can change anything you want-you could completely scrap your first lot of preferences and start all over if you really wanted.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
basically, the way im doing it is putting my 8 choices up, then using the 9th as the lowest possible uai cutoff i can find, then even if i screw up, as long as i get into the lowest one, i can transfer after a year.
if you dont want to do that, you could work for a few years and save up some money, then apply as a mature age student
or you could go to tafe and then transfer into uni

just remember, there is always a back-door entry system.

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
using the 9th as the lowest possible uai cutoff i can find, then even if i screw up, as long as i get into the lowest one, i can transfer after a year.
I'd be careful doing that-it isn't always that easy to transfer, especially if you've done some random course that doesn't have much to do with the one you want to transfer into. Also, it can be competitive to transfer and you may need a high average to do so, which may be easier said than done.
It would be bad to waste a year and fork out all that money doing a course you never wanted to do, and then not be able to transfer. Although hopefully that doesn't happen to anyone here so there'd be no need to worry about it. :)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Find a few "safe" courses (to get into with low low UAIs), and make sure it's the University you want to go to... and then study like you've never studied before, and then transfer. (I used choice 4 or 5 that way, and made sure they had relatively low UAIs.)

In reply to the actual topic, I never thought about it... or everytime I was about to... I stopped. :p

is a roflcopter
HSC
if i dont make something
i might repeat year 12

theres someone that repeated from last year with a uai of 92 hehe

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Newbie

theres someone that repeated from last year with a uai of 92 hehe
CRAZY!! CRAZY!! CRAZY!!

If i get 92 i be jumping around all over the place, and have a BIG DRINK UP and a BIG PARTY, i be sooo happy

i would NEVER EVER repeat year 12

is a roflcopter
HSC
well i think he missed out on a course he really wanted to get into
so yeah i guess everyones got different standards

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm...rather than repeat the HSC, its actually easier to do a first yr uni degree and transfer in 2nd yr...like way easier and less stressful
but yeh...the HECS...

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Minai
hmm...rather than repeat the HSC, its actually easier to do a first yr uni degree and transfer in 2nd yr...like way easier and less stressful
but yeh...the HECS...
Wat do u mean about the HECS?

About the transfer thing, wouldnt u need something like atleast a credit average (or whatever those mark things are called) to transfer?

lol thanks

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
It depends on the Course, and the grades of other people transferin' and your UAI...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It generally is easier to transfer after 1st yr uni rather than do the HSC again

I meant HECS as in, u have to pay HECS on ur 1st yr uni that u do

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
I'd be careful doing that-it isn't always that easy to transfer, especially if you've done some random course that doesn't have much to do with the one you want to transfer into. Also, it can be competitive to transfer and you may need a high average to do so, which may be easier said than done.
It would be bad to waste a year and fork out all that money doing a course you never wanted to do, and then not be able to transfer. Although hopefully that doesn't happen to anyone here so there'd be no need to worry about it. :)
yeah, i get what your saying, but what i am saying is it is better to be in uni and doing something you can tolerate than not being in at all. i mean, most degrees only require a credit average (which is like 60%) to apply to transfer. and i didnt mean to not pick something that you wouldnt be happy with, thats the most important thing, but it is also important to just try and get your foot in the door. and its sorta easy to predict a round-a-bout cutoff for the uai, i mean, it never varies HEAPS HEAPS HEAPS, low demand courses will always be low, medicine and law and the like will always be high.

Originally posted by Minai
It generally is easier to transfer after 1st yr uni rather than do the HSC again
yep, in the history of my skool, only 2 ppl have redone thier hsc at skool, one guy didnt improve, and the other guy improved by like 5 (considering his first ter (as it was at that time) there was no significant improvement)

Azn fairies

but i guess reapeting year12 have it's advantages as well.. like if that guy wanted to do medicine... then reapting year12 and geting a UAI of 98.5... and getting in straight away, would be mush faster then finisheing off a degree then tranfers inot medicine after 3years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)