Watchmen (2009) (1 Viewer)

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Zack Snyder - the man behind 300 - is at it again, this time adopting Alan Moore's graphic novel Watchmen into a film. This is pretty much the Holiest of Holies when it comes to graphic novels; The Dark Knight is pretty much the Watchmen of the twenty-first century in terms of the impact it's had. As with V for Vendetta, Moore has distanced himself from the project - he hates Hollywood adaptaions of his works - but Snyder has promised it's going to be as close to the source material as can be (though Terry Gillam's ill-fated Watchmen project never eventuated a few years ago because he felt the only way he could do it properly was with a five-hour miniseries). Fortunately, it's not a star-studded lineup of actors as these things usually are, and CGI is said to be kept to an absolute minimum.

The trailer can be seen here.

HSC
Zac has worked more with Frank Miller I think.

But Alan Moore wrote V for Vendetta, and that was one awesome movie, so I have high hopes for this.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
i loved the trailer -- but i also liked the 300 trailer and that was the fucking biggest pile of bullshit i have ever seen. (up there with king kong)

SNYDER better not screw up Watchmen. I loved this effin novel, even though at the time the ending pissed me off. but ive grown to love it. So very fitting, an alternative history graphic novel having a very "alternative" ending.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
If it's A) as close an adaptaion to the source material as possible, B) uses minimal CGI and C) isn't loaded with actors whose names overshadow their actual performances - ie Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie and so on - then Snyder's halfway there. If the script's good, only an Act of God could screw it up.

But given the way the film has been in trouble for years with directors saying it cannot be filmed, maybe God doesn't want to see it made ...

HSC
Captin gay said:
i loved the trailer -- but i also liked the 300 trailer and that was the fucking biggest pile of bullshit i have ever seen.
I duno, a lot of people liked it (including me). Possibly coolest movie ever, IMO.

ObjectsInSpace said:
But given the way the film has been in trouble for years with directors saying it cannot be filmed
What's this?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Not "unfilmable" in a bad way. Terry Gillam was going to make a Watchmen production a few years ago now, but felt that the only way he could make it was as a five- or six-hour miniseries, and thus could not be turned into a film of conventional length.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Becuase the production studios don't share his vision. Do you have any idea how much it would cost to make a two-hour Watchmen film? For Gillam's proposal, you'd have to double it and add half again, and studios just wouldn't sign that much over for a film that would never make it to the cinema.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
It'd be awesome as a miniseries, Band of Brothers style.

angryravinghobo

HSC
I loved the graphic novel and i think the trailer looks promising - but for the love of god, i hope Snyder doesn't overdo the slow motion

LatK7

HSC
I adore the graphic novel, <333 my 'Absolute' copy.

This better be good!

u-borat

Banned
HSC
watchman is an utter fail of a graphic novel, and thus there are very little expectations placed on the film adaptation in my eyes.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
u-borat said:
watchman is an utter fail of a graphic novel, and thus there are very little expectations placed on the film adaptation in my eyes.
it had a good concept.

problems
-ending
-story in a story was shit boring and i always skipped it
-not enough action
-needed more about JON OSTERMAN
-affair between nite owl and that other chick was annoying

u-borat

Banned
HSC
that is very true; it had potential to be very good, but generally i found the story to be dull.

definitely wasn't anywhere near the standard of say, v for vendetta for example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)