ways to write FAST (1 Viewer)

heybraham

HSC
i've been struggling to write more than 4 pages recently for my english essays albeit i had the material in my head to write much more, i had been and may continue to be, let down by my own hand.

one of my friends suggested playing tennis because it uses a lot of the forearm, haven't had the time try it yet

but do any other you guys know any more 'techniques' to write faster, that may or may not be so drastic?

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
hmm playing tennis? I've never heard of that but I play tennis and i write very fast.

My tips are don't let your pen leave the page that way your writing just flows. And write in cursive it is must faster.

Try to move your hands and your wrists..well i like to do that anyway.

tempco

HSC
writing fast involves you being able to think faster than you write. a fair few forget that.

heybraham

HSC
yeah i realised that but i haven't been writing that much in school for any of my subjects lately really and when exam tiem came, my hand was just...limp. it was weak and floppy, i had ideas coming out faster than my hand would write. my hand wasn't even tired at the end of the exam

it's so unfair ...my hand sucks!

Last edited:

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well a good idea would be to write up all your notes for exams. that way, you would be use to writing a lot in a short time.

well ive heard of playing tennis, but ive also heard guys do other stuff to write faster ;)

:D:D

funky_a

Fabulousness Overload
HSC
Our english teacher made us do practice writing exams on a weekly basis... and the end I STILL didn't finish my last essay! But I did some pretty length essays though.. You'd just to practice like hell and don't worry so much about how messy the writing is...as long as it's not IMPOSSIBLE to read

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I still can't write fast! In lectures I am so far behind in writing. Why? My handwriting is often neater than letters which are typed on the computer. I hate my handwriting :mad: Tried changing it heaps of times, but I'd always go back to the same old writing.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
nekkid said:
writing fast involves you being able to think faster than you write. a fair few forget that.
Isn't that people who are dyslexic. They think faster than they write, therefore their sentences do not make sense.
My physics teacher has that problem, he writes in capitals to force himself to slow down and think, but he still writes sentences that have huge grammar mistakes.

The trick to writing fast, is plain and simple
-Practise writing a lot.
-Do not make it too neat, just legible is fine
-write big and take up more length
-think of bigger words to use
-keep your arm muscles warm and warm up a bit before the exams. Pick up a pen while waiting for exams and doodle.

Pace_T

HSC
To get quicker at something, you try doing it quicker over and over again. This applies to everything (well, everything I can think of at the moment)

Muscular forearms don't make a difference lol. What about all those people with toothpick arms that write like a bazillion pages in an exam..

Practice in exam conditions and you'll start to write much faster. Don't worry too much about your handwriting. I've seen some people write so neat, but there's only a few pages of it, hehe. Don't be afraid that your writing is too messy.. I've had some pretty nasty exams handed in for HSC markers, and I've never had a complaint. Nothing. lol!

Don't hold your pen too tight. If you do, your arm/fingers will only get sore and slow you down near the end of the exam.

Oh and one more thing, always try to think ahead. If you know what sentence you are going to write next, you will finish the sentence before that even quicker. Well, that works for me anyway..

Hope that helps.

A l

HSC
N/A
heybraham said:
i've been struggling to write more than 4 pages recently for my english essays albeit i had the material in my head to write much more, i had been and may continue to be, let down by my own hand.

one of my friends suggested playing tennis because it uses a lot of the forearm, haven't had the time try it yet

but do any other you guys know any more 'techniques' to write faster, that may or may not be so drastic?
Unfortunately, teachers expect you to write a lengthy essay or composition within 40 minutes. Sure, it does motivate some to work harder, but remember the content itself counts. I've seen sample answers from past HSC exams which are up to 10 pages long because the writing is large and the spaces between words are extended.

My advice is to have plenty of practice at least once a week in addition to your usual school work. Have a go at practice questions or past papers and time yourself. The main key is preparation. Know your texts well and remember any important quotes. That way, you won't hesitate and waste time stopping to think and plan while you are writing. Use your reading time to mentally construct a plan of what you are going to write.
However, you must remember that when it comes to the HSC, markers do not look for length. There is really no specified length in the marking criteria for any extended response. A 64 word essay was enough to gain a pass mark in the HSC exam in past years. If you can manage around 3 pages within the time limit, then you're fine. The main point is to make sure that you have written everything you wanted to write about and make sure that you finish and conclude your essay.
In my first essay examination, I wrote a mere 3 page essay within 40 minutes. I managed to finish it off with a single paragraph conclusion after writing only 5 long paragraphs of explanations of all the points I could fit in. I wrote my words slightly bigger than I normally did, firstly so it can be more legible, and to take up some space. So I guess you could say I expanded a 2 page essay into 3 pages.
In the end I got a higher mark than many people who had written about 4 pages or more for that essay. Another person wrote only 2 pages and got a higher mark than me! I noticed that many people who scribbled as fast they could onto paper did not effectively answer the question, but rather, wrote anything that pops into their head down into their composition.
So that proves that length does not count, it is the content that you should really be concentrating on. As long as you write a complete essay to answer the question with enough textual evidence, you shouldn't worry too much about length.

By the way, I play tennis as well and I am a fairly slow writer!

Last edited:

aaaman

Banned
HSC
heybraham said:

apply for a reader writer, thats how i got mine :d. da system works!!!!

all my m8s were cut about it since i get 4hrs 4 a 3 hr exam :D

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Write really big, about 8 words a line, leave a gap between each line. That's what all the smart people in my year did in exams.

HSC
practice, practice, practice.

i'm not sure if playing a sport or instrument can help forearm/wrist/finger speed, that's open to debate. but by just practicing writing essays can gain you more experience and write faster.

in my english class, my teacher dictates notes really fast, as in, talks in normal speed and we have to write notes to that. she does this on purpose to speed up the pace of our handwriting.

aaaman

Banned
HSC
miss_gtr said:
sparodically do lightning writing tasks........... get people to spruik it on u and make them go "alright you have 1 minute to write about dogs" and u can write whatever but dont stop writing u can write um, argh, well, i dunno etc...... whatever just write as much as you can about whatever you can and each time do PB's and try to beat them each time...
dogs??? typical bulldogs supporter :p

monique66

remember its quality not quanity
having said that i can finish of 1 and a half exam books in 40mins if i write fast enough...the key is the know what u are talking about and write really big :p

aaaman

Banned
HSC
miss_gtr said:
haha....... i seriously didnt even think bout that when i wrote that. but heeeey......... it probably came from the wall infront of me plastered in doggies stuff.
or when they actually win a game u mean :d

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)