We have a new pope! (1 Viewer)

tomekz

HSC
ohne said:
John Paul II looked to Mary just as much as he looked to God.
Thus the reason of the manipulation of his coat of arms with the "M" in the bottom right quadrant.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
AtticusFinch said:
he looks like a minion of satan... look at those demon eyes!
i hope he does a better job that john paul
He is actually more conservative and the only criticism JP2 seems to get is about being conservative, so go figure

spell check

HSC
ohne said:
John Paul II looked to Mary just as much as he looked to God.

The role of mothers is not something that should necessarily be looked down upon.
that first sentence doesn't really hold much ground

i'm talking about real living people being discriminated against because they are women

edit: if the catholic church were promoting strong morals they would be the first to welcome gender equality

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Sweets said:
Conservative, conservative, conservative.

This guy is 78 he is just a interim Pope they can have for a while. He is not going to do anything significant at all in terms of looking at the issues of celibacy, ordination of women. He will merely just maintain the status quo.
Thats what they thought about the Pope who was around during Vatican 2

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Why didn't they elect a pope from a third world country/South America where the majority of Catholics reside? There seemed to be suitable candidates from there....

It just shows the inherrent eurocentrism in the Catholic church. They preach from a position of privelidge, their figureheads are from wealthy countries, and lay down weighty moral "laws" on to the underpriveliged and poor... to great effect also, I mean the lack of contraception/protection has done wonders for overpopulation and the spread of AIDS in underdeveloped countries, hasn't it?

I said to my dad when John Paul first died that I bet they will elect a white guy from a European country...

The catholic church is a business.... in my opinion it is not there to help people or for missionary reasons. It is a mercenery system which relies on keeping fat white guys happy with the extreme conservatism of the church, and hence they keep on providing money so the church can maintain it's self indulgent opulance while people starve and die of AIDS in Africa.

One only has to look at the "treasures" of the Vatican to see that the church is a business interested in the accumulation of wealth and the spreading of the dogma which will cause people to help maintain that wealth.....
Where did u get the impression otherwise

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
imhere4themusic said:
It depends on who you ask.. I just feel they shouldn't change their views just because people want to have sex before marriage and be a female priest. If they want to be a female priest they can be Anglican, after all, Anglicans state that all christian churches are just different denominations and all come out to the same meaning. The reason these other churches were created is because people wanted to practise their love for god in another way to the Catholics. If people want to have sex before marriage they shouldn't be Christian at all, it's against ALL Christian churches beliefs and is a sin to god, therefore if you are christian and you "do it" you go to hell. And if people have partners who are christian but they're not and they want to convince them to have sex, that is the lowest of lows, go find another partner.

There are so many ways to view it. But if people whinge about it wanting to get their way they're gonna get slapped in the face by their mummy soon enough, so why not just go to another religion? People can gradually wane all they want.. The Catholic Church will always be there no matter how many followers they have because in their view it is the only way to enlightenment. In a way, it's totally selfish.. but then again so are the people who are complaining. They are greedy, apparantly they want all the sins, plus all the good stuff..
The Catholic Church already teaches that if u confess and repent for your sins on your death bed you are forgiven

richz

i dont understand these guys, why do they choose old guys whom will prolly last like 10 yrs, Ratzinger is like 78 he'll prolly survive to like 90.. This is stupid i want them to choose sumone in their 50s :mad:

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Sweets said:
I don't get why every1 is so anti-change. The church and all religions for that matter need to not adapt but to be applicable in the world around them. Religion should not be static because life is not static.

I mean it was not so long ago that under the bible slavery was deemed to be acceptable and i'm sure no one here thinks slavery is good.

The catholic church didn't even accept that the world was round till a while ago. And most rational people today accept that the world is indeed round.

Anyway my point is that while it may just be easier to say 'hey the church is conservative that is their faith let it be' if people had simply 'let it be' before then these changes would have never occured.
Where in the Bible does it condone Slavery, if anything it is against it, i suggest reading the Bible

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
spell check said:
how can the church claim to have any moral or ethical merit at all when it bans women from becoming leaders?

i don't recall God saying men were superior to women
No but all of Jesus's disciples were men, thats why the priest are men i believe, and anyways women can become nuns

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
xrtzx said:
i dont understand these guys, why do they choose old guys whom will prolly last like 10 yrs, Ratzinger is like 78 he'll prolly survive to like 90.. This is stupid i want them to choose sumone in their 50s :mad:
They wanted an interium Pope, whether it works out that way is anyones guess

Generator

HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
I find it funny how people are saying the new pope was quite liberal by encouraging chruch serivces to be delivered in other languages other than latin. Very liberal indeed!
Mel Gibson will not be happy.

jennylim

HSC
i actually think ratzinger will be good for the church. i'm not catholic (good ol' anglican) but i still think that a guy who goes back to the real fundamentals and refuses to be bullied into weakening the truth is going to be a good leader. why liberalise just to accommodate for the public? if they don't agree with the precepts of christianity as they are, there's no point in watering it down to the point where it fails to truly be what it is.

the minority groups mentioned are mainly women and gays. about women: all i can say is that in 1 timothy chapter 2, it says that women should not be in a position of authority over a man. pretty much that's a recurrent theme in the bible - female submission. but it does not outlaw women from evangelising and teaching the gospel as missionaries, or as other teachers. gays: romans has a few things to say about this. basically to be a christian, you're not expected to be perfect - but God does want you to truly repent of everything that is a sin. and if you haven't repented for a sin and don't at least try to change your ways, then how can you expect his forgiveness?

anyway that's just how i see it...looking forward to the reign of pope benedict XVI!

Generator

HSC
N/A
Haha I would have thought that no woman today would willingly submit to the authority of a man merely because some flimsy notion from the distant past says that that must be so (actually, why would a woman submit in such a fashion at all?).

Last edited:

jennylim

HSC
well, it's not really bad submission. and it's usually only in marriage. and in turn the guy has to love you the way christ loved the church (ie to the extent where he would die for you) - in a way, submit to you. so it's not as bad as it's usually made out to be. plus - if God commands it, then it's obviously what's best for us. that's what we believe when we read the bible and interpret it, anyway.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
jennylim said:
i actually think ratzinger will be good for the church. i'm not catholic (good ol' anglican) but i still think that a guy who goes back to the real fundamentals and refuses to be bullied into weakening the truth is going to be a good leader. why liberalise just to accommodate for the public? if they don't agree with the precepts of christianity as they are, there's no point in watering it down to the point where it fails to truly be what it is.

the minority groups mentioned are mainly women and gays. about women: all i can say is that in 1 timothy chapter 2, it says that women should not be in a position of authority over a man. pretty much that's a recurrent theme in the bible - female submission. but it does not outlaw women from evangelising and teaching the gospel as missionaries, or as other teachers. gays: romans has a few things to say about this. basically to be a christian, you're not expected to be perfect - but God does want you to truly repent of everything that is a sin. and if you haven't repented for a sin and don't at least try to change your ways, then how can you expect his forgiveness?

anyway that's just how i see it...looking forward to the reign of pope benedict XVI!
Jesus.. it's shocking to see this from a girl... and very sad

pete_mate

HSC
jennylim said:

wha? your meant to be ignoring the pope, and the parts of it that will be watered down are the stuff you dont beleive in anyway, anglicans only read from the bible, no church rules, no popes

and also:

nuff said.

jennylim

HSC
haha, how can we "ignore" the pope when he's kinda the most public religious figure representing christians? i tend to think of everyone as christians with the denominations being more...i dunno...minor differences, really.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Sweets said:
(Colossians 3: 22-24): "Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything;'
Is that in context, cause the Book of Exodus is all about freeing the slaves, and Jesus preached that all men were created equal under God

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)