We made a mistake with Rudd, didn't we? (1 Viewer)

Do you wish Howard had won the last election?

• Yes. Howard was the man we need for the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Blastus

Liberty Matrix
HSC
N/A
It seems that most of us have all seen through the bs of the Labor government and miss the straightforward governing style of the Howard era, where the man didn't personally reach into our lives and try to control us.

So, people of BoS, do you wish the people of Australia had seen through Rudd's bullshit and kept the greatest PM of Australia, John Howard, in office?

If so, why?

If not, justify.

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
i voted no. but i will not justify. i don't want the man personally reaching into my life and trying to control my vote.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
howard was pretty terrible but within the context of Australian politics he was unbelievably better than Rudd

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
Hard to say unless you can simultaneously view and juxtapose alternative dimensions where rudd and howard are the PMs.

What about workchoices? reconciliation with indigenous people? the way rudd handled the recession?

either way there will always be people complaining.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
We didn't make a mistake. Howard losing the 2007 election put AWAs to death.

However given that they've now been put to death, and we've said sorry to those natives, and interest rates are rising again Howard-stylez, Howard can come back.

Got2Kno91

HSC
Howard was a mixed bag. The NT intervention was by definition racist, and has protectionist undertones. He blocked the ACT gay civil union bill (which very notable Rudd DIDN'T, although his govt altered it so it 'less resembled marriage'), and also used his power over Territory governments to disassemble the NT Euthanasia bill early in his term. He certainly didn't strive to expand civil liberties either. He also introduced the '10 Point Plan' which was considered by many as a step back in Aboriginal rights. When you look deeper, and at the whole picture (which is hard considering many of us on this site were in Kindergarten when he came to office), he really did see the need to control many people's lives, as he saw fit. The notable exception is that, economically at least, he saw the value of leaving private enterprise to their own devices (aka new Workplace Laws).

He was a very clever man, good at manipulating the electorate, while appearing seemingly honest and genuine.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Hard to say unless you can simultaneously view and juxtapose alternative dimensions where rudd and howard are the PMs.

What about workchoices? reconciliation with indigenous people? the way rudd handled the recession?

either way there will always be people complaining.
WorkChoices was economically brilliant legislation that Howard fucked up delivery of.
Reconciliation with Aborigines for what? I haven't done anything bad to them.
Rudd fucked up the response to the recession. He had 50 billion dollars of taxpayer money to spend on whatever the fuck he wanted, outside of normal budget expenditure, AND the overwhelming popular support to do it. So what does he do? He fucking built school halls and gave the cash away in one big chunk.

Just let the adults discuss this one, Jimmy.

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
WorkChoices was economically brilliant legislation that Howard fucked up delivery of.
Reconciliation with Aborigines for what? I haven't done anything bad to them.
Rudd fucked up the response to the recession. He had 50 billion dollars of taxpayer money to spend on whatever the fuck he wanted, outside of normal budget expenditure, AND the overwhelming popular support to do it. So what does he do? He fucking built school halls and gave the cash away in one big chunk.

Just let the adults discuss this one, Jimmy.
Can you pretty please stop posting?
Please?

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
workchoices was possibly economically brilliant but it was socially and ethically cancerous. i don't care much about aboriginies but if it makes them happier then it was the right thing to do. the manner in which school halls, or whatever, have been built is not the fault of Rudd in any way, shape, or form, but rather of the bureaucracy below him that he realistically has little control over. and anyone who opposes economic stimulus (which i admittedly know little about) occuring simultaneously with at least trying to build better educational facilities is a moron.

moll is a douche, and you're an israeli apologist.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
and you're an israeli apologist.

m8 you said this in "ncap was never good" thread and I just want to say that I dont recall ever actually making pro israel posts

if i posted in these threads it was nearly CERTAINLY just anti-muslim trolling

but you're making out like im some fervent champion of israel and i seriously dont know what you're basing this on

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
economic freedom but fucked up social conservatism. I still can't justify a vote for Howard but Chairman Rudd's backwards policies since winning have certainly made me question what I was thinking.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
economic freedom but fucked up social conservatism. I still can't justify a vote for Howard but Chairman Rudd's backwards policies since winning have certainly made me question what I was thinking.

so its high economic freedom and little social freedom vs. little economic freedom and little social freedom?

obviously Howard is terrible, but how could you not have wanted him to win with knowledge of Rudd's time as prime minister?

Phylo

ballin
HSC
imo, john howard satisfied the job much more adequately than kevin07. We elected a prime minister to make the tough choices, for the benefit of the country. I just see mr.rudd as a people pleaser, eg with the immigrant ships, its either a YES or a NO, he has to deal with them, even though it might slightly weaken our relationship with that nation (i dont remember which country it was), it will not taint our financial flows with that countries. Instead he kept them waiting for over 2 weeks, trying to come to an agreement, making everyone happy... Atleast with Howard, he laid down the law, no fussing around, i guess that's why he didnt get elected vs kevin but then again, thats why he lasted for so long

JohnMcGee

Banned
HSC
so its high economic freedom and little social freedom vs. little economic freedom and little social freedom?

obviously Howard is terrible, but how could you not have wanted him to win with knowledge of Rudd's time as prime minister?
other than the internet censorship i'd rank Rudd as a decent prime minister
sadly, internet censorship is a fatal blow

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC

No I mean at the time I thought it was the better decision, and I stand by that in the context of that election.

Compared to what has happened since? obviously I am not going to support Rudd again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)