We should get rid of ANZAC day (1 Viewer)

HSC
Last World War I combat vet dies in Australia

SYDNEY — Claude Stanley Choules, the last known combat veteran of World War I, died Thursday at a nursing home in the Western Australia city of Perth, his family said. He was 110.

World War I was raging when Choules began training with the British Royal Navy, just one month after he turned 14. In 1917, he joined the battleship HMS Revenge, from which he watched the 1918 surrender of the German High Seas Fleet, the main battle fleet of the German Navy during the war.

Millions died in the war, which lasted from 1914-1918. Choules and another Briton, Florence Green, became the war's last known surviving service members after the death of American Frank Buckles in February, according to the Order of the First World War, a U.S.-based group that tracks veterans.

Despite the fame he achieved because of his military service, Choules grew to become a pacifist who was uncomfortable with anything that glorified war. He disagreed with the celebration of Anzac Day, Australia's most important war memorial holiday, and refused to march in parades held each year to commemorate the holiday.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Last World War I combat vet dies in Australia

SYDNEY — Claude Stanley Choules, the last known combat veteran of World War I, died Thursday at a nursing home in the Western Australia city of Perth, his family said. He was 110.

World War I was raging when Choules began training with the British Royal Navy, just one month after he turned 14. In 1917, he joined the battleship HMS Revenge, from which he watched the 1918 surrender of the German High Seas Fleet, the main battle fleet of the German Navy during the war.

Millions died in the war, which lasted from 1914-1918. Choules and another Briton, Florence Green, became the war's last known surviving service members after the death of American Frank Buckles in February, according to the Order of the First World War, a U.S.-based group that tracks veterans.

Despite the fame he achieved because of his military service, Choules grew to become a pacifist who was uncomfortable with anything that glorified war. He disagreed with the celebration of Anzac Day, Australia's most important war memorial holiday, and refused to march in parades held each year to commemorate the holiday.
guy realised joining the military was stoopid

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
so you give an example of one person who didn't even practice racist eugenics properly. when the movement was in its heyday, different german eugenicists criticized racist ideas, and so did plenty of eugenicists from the US and other countries.
I'm not sure whether I agree with your characterisation that the Fuhrer never practiced eugenics "properly". I think Nazi programs (Action t4, for instance) certainly achieved eugenic aims, but whether they were ethical is another matter altogether. I think it's a mistake to suggest that if an approach to an implementation of eugenics is not ethical then therefore it is not a proper implementation of eugenics.. the only thing that matters is whether or not the approach in question decreases the prevalence of undesirable phenotypes. Personally I think the Nazis had some good ideas that could be adapted to the context of a universal healthcare system, such as denying free healthcare in the instance of life threatening illness to those deemed genetically unfit by a weighted, holistic set of quantitative psychometric, athletic, medical and aesthetic measures.

Last edited:

nathanf

HSC
there should be a day of mourning for all Australian soldiers lost during wars in the last century. But any references to us fighting for our country or freedom should be omitted as they are all incorrect and we have never been at risk of being invaded by a foreign power. Except when people started flocking here in boats and became Australian themselves some 200+ years ago.

Jimmy Recard

Banned
HSC
hahahahahahah what about when some cunts walked here 60,000 years ago did they invade the place
if they didnt the megafauna would still be alive and kickin

Bread_2_Toast

HSC
should we also have a day of mourning for all those people who died fighting influenza?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
we should mourn the bread that got burnt in an attempt to be toasted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)