webct down AGAIN? (1 Viewer)

bobbinbrisco

HSC
... said:
bahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhaha

ok dude

load up IE
run a blank page
your fucken IE icon will still load until it finishes doing what its doing, that is still "loading"

as for hiring some system admin, dude, i can't imagine u being an accountant or working in the business field
I did the IE thing. What "loading" are you referring to?

So it's okay if half your day is wasted waiting for the service to get up and running again?

As for you Asylum you retard.

AsyLum said:
One flaw? Which flaw would that be, the one that the thread was inherently and following the topical line of WebCT not being accessed, and as i had said, the whole "WebCT is now online." "Now Loading," but no progress in the meter and the "Online Units" all being circled seem to give that impression.
again you are basing your argument on that same flaw, It wouldn't be following the topical line if nothing suggested that the "spastics" comment was against the uni. What "meter"? the circle of dots? that means jack shit to non FF users. What the hell is "online units" circled supposed to mean?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What flaw are you talking about? That you dont get the joke? Is that the flaw?

^___^
HSC
nah

i was smart enough to do everything due online asap
and download anything asap

cos i know that the system will have maintenance on saturday

its ok if you get angry, i know how it feels to be an idiot sometimes :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This is why english should remain compulsory. How the fuck did you end up in uni if you dont even understand the concept of a joke?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
bobbinbrisco said:

So it's okay if half your day is wasted waiting for the service to get up and running again?

You're wasting half your day posting and arguing here :p

ReaveR

HSC
bobbinbrisco said:
LOL that "smart" post of yours (about the irony if no one can work that out) took too much effort that you just had to draw attention to it again (in effect posting it twice). admit it.

for those ppl who say that it costs more money to pay admins to work bad hours should reconsider. I dont care about what it takes, just get the damn thing working. Stop trying to defend the uni and kiss ass.

btw:
"OHNOES! I meant that bashing.. ah fuck it." geez you'll do anything to suck up and kiss ass.
He's drawing attention to that post again because you failed to address it.

"I don't care what it takes, just get the damn thing working" is about the lamest most self centred argument I've ever heard?!?!! Aside from it not being economically viable, what poor bastard is going to want to be up at 3am to do it? You're the kind of dumbass that'll say this then when the uni runs out of money to throw around you'll start bitching even though you 'don't care what it takes'. Nor do I see any relevence to 'defend the uni' and 'kiss ass' anywhere in any posts, care to explain where this is all coming from?

You know, if WebCT were working in that screenie it'd actually say WebCT Login Page, regardless of browser.

I mean, sure, it's pretty fucked WebCT was down for longer than it should be, but that doesn't really give you the right to attack others just because you have a diamond encrusted pole up your ass.

X

xeuyrawp

bobbinbrisco said:
what the hell are you getting at? I've seen some lame responses in my time but this tops them all.
That was the point. I was trying to be lame, comeon, stop taking things so seriously. I haven't been at macq for more than a month and I know all these people are just joking around.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
bobbinbrisco said:
Look mate, your picture shows jack shit about incompetance. That loading thing circled could mean anything and implied that it was working for you. When i checked it at that time after you put up your 1st post it was working which reconfirmed what i thought you were saying.
the loading that was circles would obviously imply that it was working for me. i mean, it couldnt imply that it wasnt working...what you thought i was was trying to say could not have been incorrect?

when you checked it after my first post, it was working for you? great, now even if what you thought i was saying, you could have gone nuts and tell me off? but when you have realised that you were wrong in misinterpreting my post, why keep going?

lastly, "reconfirmed what i thought you were saying". so by that you are acknowledging that you understand what i was saying in my first post, however you cannot see how the picture shows incompetance?

lets stick with one story, i am getting confused.

btw, here reaver explained it good: "You know, if WebCT were working in that screenie it'd actually say WebCT Login Page, regardless of browser." and that is what i would have shown to show you that it is working and you are all spastics for not being able to make it work.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
ahahahahahahahaha @ this thread

on a similar note, it'll be down next sat, the weekend before the week before holidays which is mid-semester exam week... not happy mq

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
on a happier note.. i can use webct woo!
i only do 1 subject at mac and 1 discussion forum thing is all there really is.. but its still exciting :) i didnt even know i could access it until last week

*hopeful*

HSC
yeh the mcdeath bag guy
the really tall one, funky style :p

my busl250 shit is still not workn on webct
it is just me ?

bobbinbrisco

HSC
redruM said:
the loading that was circles would obviously imply that it was working for me. i mean, it couldnt imply that it wasnt working...what you thought i was was trying to say could not have been incorrect?

when you checked it after my first post, it was working for you? great, now even if what you thought i was saying, you could have gone nuts and tell me off? but when you have realised that you were wrong in misinterpreting my post, why keep going?
I did not keep going. I was merely explaining why i misinterpreted your first post. If you want more detail read all my posts from the beginning of the thread (which judging by the responses I have been getting people have not been doing this), I'm tired of repeating myself.

AsyLum said:
This is why english should remain compulsory. How the fuck did you end up in uni if you dont even understand the concept of a joke?
LOL. Arrogant fool.

ReaveR said:
Aside from it not being economically viable, what poor bastard is going to want to be up at 3am to do it? You're the kind of dumbass that'll say this then when the uni runs out of money to throw around you'll start bitching even though you 'don't care what it takes'.
It's not like they do this everyday. Why do you care for the system admins- they will get paid for it. Do you really think the uni will go bankrupt because of this? Who do you think pays for these services? I expect a better service because I/students am/are the one/s who's paying their bills. What other bussiness do you know of performs maintenance on their servers during business hours without a backup or anything? This uni makes a ton of money and you worry about weather hiring one guy or two to do some work on the servers will be "economically viable".

PwarYuex said:
That was the point. I was trying to be lame, comeon, stop taking things so seriously.
I take it that your posts are always like this e.g the one about me not going to the uni?

Please read the whole post before replying.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
what the fuck i asked a simple question and a few days later i come and look back at this thread and look what happened +_+

ReaveR

HSC
:: ryan.cck :: said:
what the fuck i asked a simple question and a few days later i come and look back at this thread and look what happened +_+
This is why the forums are fun!

bobbinbrisco said:
I did not keep going. I was merely explaining why i misinterpreted your first post. If you want more detail read all my posts from the beginning of the thread (which judging by the responses I have been getting people have not been doing this), I'm tired of repeating myself.
I've read all your posts multiple times. They're all angry PMS type, and any concerns that you raised were answered, and after you had nothing else to say you just attacked others. Consider this case in point:

bobbinbrisco said:
It is working now so AsyLum how the hell could you get the joke without reading redrums message that it was not working at that time?
Whether or not he understands the joke doesn't particularly have anything to do with whether WebCT was up at that time. No one really has to look to see if WebCT works, just because you failed to see the joke doesn't mean everyone else is like you. You get angry at him just because he says he understands the joke and you don't. Tell me, how is this 'merely explaining why i misinterpreted your first post'?

bobbinbrisco said:
Your first post didn't read like a joke: why did you put so much effort into the screen shot with the circling, cropping... + the lack of any emoticons.

This topic was basically for ranting (despite the bullshit about when it will be up). If you say something out of line expect to be bitten.

You seem to have a problem with the effort that other people put into things they choose to do. What does this have to do with you? I think you're a bit too hooked on the net, now you can't tell a joke when it has no emoticons? It sounds like you are a person who walks around saying 'lol' and 'rofl' in real life. Indeed, this thread is about ranting and everyone did that. You're saying alot of things out of line. We're biting you back.

bobbinbrisco said:
LOL that "smart" post of yours (about the irony if no one can work that out) took too much effort that you just had to draw attention to it again (in effect posting it twice). admit it.

Your argument is based on one small flaw - that "now loading" suggests that the website is not working. Could you explain to a person who doesn't use firefox why he should get that? because you seem like such a good teacher.

for those ppl who say that it costs more money to pay admins to work bad hours should reconsider. I dont care about what it takes, just get the damn thing working. Stop trying to defend the uni and kiss ass.

btw:
"OHNOES! I meant that bashing.. ah fuck it." geez you'll do anything to suck up and kiss ass.
Again with the efforts of other people. Why does it concern you so much? What they want to do is their own business, but he had reposted it because you did not address it previously.

The 'one small flaw' was addressed many times over. If WebCT was working it would say 'WebCT Login Page' instead of 'Loading'.

Again, I fail to see the link between this thread and its replies, and 'defending the uni and kissing ass'. Also, prior to this post, there was no one had said anything about it costing more money, just that no IT tech would be willing to wake up at such hours to complete a job. Are you pulling shit out of thin air?

bobbinbrisco said:

As for you Asylum you retard.

again you are basing your argument on that same flaw, It wouldn't be following the topical line if nothing suggested that the "spastics" comment was against the uni. What "meter"? the circle of dots? that means jack shit to non FF users. What the hell is "online units" circled supposed to mean?
No one said WebCT down was a good thing, or that it was ok. Again with this spastics comment, you're the only one complaining, does that mean you're the only one who didn't understand?

Online units is circled because that takes you the WebCT page.

bobbinbrisco said:
It's not like they do this everyday. Why do you care for the system admins- they will get paid for it. Do you really think the uni will go bankrupt because of this? Who do you think pays for these services? I expect a better service because I/students am/are the one/s who's paying their bills. What other bussiness do you know of performs maintenance on their servers during business hours without a backup or anything? This uni makes a ton of money and you worry about weather hiring one guy or two to do some work on the servers will be "economically viable".
Your student fee's probably make up all of 0.0001% of university income. However, the same principle as other businesses apply, in that if you're not happy you should take your money elsewhere. If you can't, or don't want to, don't bitch about what the uni isn't doing with your money.

I 'care for the system admins', but as mentioned already they will be hard pressed to find someone who will be up at that hour to do such a job, and then there are concerns about whether the tech will be awake enough anyway to be productive. But no, they're getting paid for it right? I mean, thats all that counts! As for the uni gonig bankrupt, probably not but why waste money? If you wanted to, go check out Syd uni's Lidcombe campus - its dying. They don't even have enough money to hire part time staff to conduct pracs, which really is quite pathetic for a tertiary institution. But that's not what we're discussing.

bobbinbrisco said:
Please read the whole post before replying.
Please address every point in every post before replying.

Edit: I do care for the sys admins, I do! All my IT friends gonna kick my ass now =(

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
bobbinbrisco

bobbinbrisco said:
ur a bright one. can u tell me when you took that screen shot? dumbshit

the outage was suppose to be from 8am to 1pm today but it just got back online. just coz it was online now it doesnt mean it was online before: why would they post a message telling everybody that it is NOW ONLINE? because it was down LONGER THAN IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE DIPSHIT.
bobbinbrisco said:
LOL. Arrogant fool.
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary said:
Main Entry: joke
Pronunciation: 'jOk
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin jocus; perhaps akin to Old High German gehan to say, Sanskrit yAcati he asks
1 a : something said or done to provoke laughter; especially : a brief oral narrative with a climactic humorous twist b (1) : the humorous or ridiculous element in something (2) : an instance of jesting : KIDDING <can't take a joke> c : PRACTICAL JOKE d : LAUGHINGSTOCK
2 : something not to be taken seriously : a trifling matter <consider his skiing a joke -- Harold Callender> -- often used in negative construction <it is no joke to be lost in the desert>
bobbinbrisco said:
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary said:
Main Entry: iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural -nies
Etymology: Latin ironia, from Greek eirOnia, from eirOn dissembler
2 a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance
3 a (1) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) : an event or result marked by such incongruity b : incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play
"It wouldn't be following the topical line if nothing suggested that the "spastics" comment was against the uni." Nothing suggested that the spastics comment was against the uni? Refer to the above quote. Please, praytell, why is it that you are the only one who seems to misunderstand this concept of irony?

bobbinbrisco said:
Your first post didn't read like a joke: why did you put so much effort into the screen shot with the circling, cropping... + the lack of any emoticons.

This topic was basically for ranting (despite the bullshit about when it will be up). If you say something out of line expect to be bitten.

P.S In reply to 3. I think so.
bobbinbrisco said:
LOL. Arrogant fool.
bobbinbrisco said:
It is working now so AsyLum how the hell could you get the joke without reading redrums message that it was not working at that time?
You a) assume that i only read about the message as i posted, wrong, b) assume i misunderstood or clearly did not have the capacity to understand the joke, wrong.

bobbinbrisco said:
Look mate, your picture shows jack shit about incompetance. That loading thing circled could mean anything and implied that it was working for you. When i checked it at that time after you put up your 1st post it was working which reconfirmed what i thought you were saying.
The argument and thread was titled and directed towards WebCT not functioning. Now if redruM had in fact just stated "spastics" then it would seem out of place. The fact he circled, the "loading," "online units" and the message which clearly stated that WebCT was up, when in fact it wasnt tend to suggest that he in fact was showing the irony in the message.

redruM said:
well just so that you sleep easy at night, when i posted that pic, the webct was down(it was the first time i had checked today) and it said that webct is working again, when it wasnt.
bobbinbrisco said:
I was not defending the uni but rather was defending myself. It was working when I read your 1st post so obviously the spastics comment seem directed at us. Your second post also did not clarify this point.
Now, even IF we were to take your position, your anger seems to be very subjective and self-centered. "I was not.." "It was working when I..." Now, lets view the timing of the posts, redruM's was posted at 2nd April 2005, 06:30 PM.

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showpost.php?p=1404854&postcount=11

Yours, 2nd April 2005, 07:33 PM

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showpost.php?p=1405069&postcount=12.

Would it be possible, that within that time frame of one hour, that WebCT was still down BEFORE you checked it again?

bobbinbrisco said:
The reiteration, you "arrogant fool" as you have so beautifully accorded me, was due to your inability to understand this point.

bobbinbrisco said:
btw:
Another reason I think you're still not getting anything we say. You have an inability to read further into the implications and connotations, but rather take everything as if it were face value.

... said:
ur a bright one. can u tell me when you are gonna smash your head? dumbshit

the bashing of your head was suppose to be from 12am to 8pm today but you just got online. just cozyou were online now it doesnt meanyou were online before: why would you post a message telling everybody that you are NOW ONLINE? because you were down LONGER THAN IT WAS SUPPOSE TO BE DIPSHIT.
This post, if you hadnt already noticed, was mocking you, and played upon the imitation and parody.

bobbinbrisco said:
No it isnt, and we were all in the same ship. Dont feel special.

bobbinbrisco said:
It's not like they do this everyday. Why do you care for the system admins- they will get paid for it. Do you really think the uni will go bankrupt because of this? Who do you think pays for these services?
Online Teaching Facility - System Error: Units Unavailable said:
Due to a system error over the long weekend, many units in the Online Teaching Facility (WebCT) are currently unavailable for access. We have and will continue to address the problem with the highest priority. At this stage we hope to restore full access by the afternoon of Wed 30 March 2005.
Did it ever occur to you that they were fixing it? Or that these "sys admins" are workers AND humans?

bobbinbrisco said:
I expect a better service because I/students am/are the one/s who's paying their bills. What other bussiness do you know of performs maintenance on their servers during business hours without a backup or anything? This uni makes a ton of money and you worry about weather hiring one guy or two to do some work on the servers will be "economically viable".
bobbinbrisco said:
LOL. Arrogant fool.
Yes, of course, i mean universities are overflowing with money, thats why large scale cutbacks and cost cutting has been implemented within most, if not all, universities and other tertiary institutions. Do you pay full fee? Even then, do you pay for the university to keep running in such a way that without you it would simply collapse?

bobbinbrisco said:
nearly 3pm and still cant get thru.

y can't they do this at 3am when no ones using it?
bobbinbrisco said:
half past 6. i can't get in- has anyone been able to log in?

this is a POS service.
And? Sounds like most users who were frustrated, what right above us do you have to personally undertake the "insult" that redrum was supposed to have inflicted?

/edit/ Haha reaver beat me to it :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha yeah, damn no more quick quotes :(

I bet ill be told off for it "OGMWTFEFFORTSIF!" (oops no emoticon) :mad:

ReaveR

HSC
If only I could spend as much time as I spent on this studying for my test tomorrow =(

And being told off is good, it gives us more time to spend here replying rationally instead of studying.
*cough*

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Haha, yeah im up to my 5th draft, i cant get past the 3rd paragraph in this essay :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)