Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
in my last 2 gym sessions.. first one i bb pressed 50x12, 65x10, 70x10, 70x6 or 7.
second sesh i db pressed 15x15, 25x10, 27.5x8, 30x5.

havnt gymed in like 5 weeks :( but yeah i'll probably continue db.

t00l

HSC
No. What I mean is best explained by what I do. So my chest routine is this:

Incline DB Bench
Cable Flyes
Flat BB Bench
Chest Fly machine

If I use DBs on incline then I will use BB on flat. And vice-versa. I also alternate between starting with incline and starting with flat. The flyes straight after benches get the blood pumping and contractions feel awesome.

Dumbbells employ more stabilisers than a barbell. You need more balance and control. You get used to it pretty quick though. What you said about using more weight with a barbell is also true. I think people tend to use 15kgs or so less with DBs compared to BBs. That has nothing to do with the effectiveness of the exercise though. Im a big fan of DBs at the moment.
sounds just like my routine minus the bb chest as i use db. db i feel has a more natural motion to the push. id like to ask whats the best angle for incline. i have mine at abt 40 but apparently 45 - 55 yields best results?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
sounds just like my routine minus the bb chest as i use db. db i feel has a more natural motion to the push. id like to ask whats the best angle for incline. i have mine at abt 40 but apparently 45 - 55 yields best results?
try google searching, but u can tell that the steeper you go, the more upper chest/shoulders is involved.

i think i did incline bench at around 40ish degrees, cant remember exactly though.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
try google searching, but u can tell that the steeper you go, the more upper chest/shoulders is involved.

i think i did incline bench at around 40ish degrees, cant remember exactly though.
You would think that logically but going steeper has seemed to work better for my shoulders AND upper chest

made my return to the gym today, hadn't been in a month. Could only bench 80 :(

edit: I use to weigh 78-80kg and now only 73-74kg FUCK

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
yea thats wats i meant

edit: i went yesterday for the first time in a month, did 71.5kg on the chest press, then 84, then back down to 71.5 :( lol

Last edited:

t00l

HSC
You would think that logically but going steeper has seemed to work better for my shoulders AND upper chest

made my return to the gym today, hadn't been in a month. Could only bench 80 :(

edit: I use to weigh 78-80kg and now only 73-74kg FUCK
lol. thats alotta muscle mass gone.

Ziva

Banned
HSC
lol. thats alotta muscle mass gone.

yeah well i was benching around the 100 mark, and considering my weight loss, i'm pretty sure i just lost pure muscle.

I'll have it all back in 3-4 weeks anyway.

I seem to want to hit the gym more when I'm stressed out, and considering all these uni assignments I've got coming up, I should be smashing the gym

amirite

HSC
I do my incline at varying levels. I prefer the slighter inclin because I can use more weight and its less stressful on the shoulders. Thats probably at about 30-35 degrees. Then I use the higher 50-55 degree incline for a couple of sets. I really dont like incline, im weak at it and it messes with my shoulders. The benches only have about 4 different levels it can be placed at between flat and upright so I cant find an incline that suits me either. My shoulder press and incline press are basically the same. :(

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah well i was benching around the 100 mark, and considering my weight loss, i'm pretty sure i just lost pure muscle.

I'll have it all back in 3-4 weeks anyway.

I seem to want to hit the gym more when I'm stressed out, and considering all these uni assignments I've got coming up, I should be smashing the gym
Beast.

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
Ive hit Chest Plateau :(
bench stays at 25Db press and 60Kg BB
Cannot shift this motherfucker

eye ov azazel

Dismembered Member
HSC
N/A
Ive hit Chest Plateau :(
bench stays at 25Db press and 60Kg BB
Cannot shift this motherfucker
get a spot to help you (a little bit) to press 70kg/27.5 each hand.
do that for a bit till u can do it all on ur own like a big boy.

90kg squat last week,, gonna attempt 100kg today.

edit: idk really how to break plateus, never had any myself, all i have is not enough belief in myself that i can raise the weight and lift heavier, which im slowly overcoming by challenging myself more lately.
google some plateau busts and cross check with other sauces to see how legit they are.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)