Were you always the smartest before HSC Year? (2 Viewers)

HSC
Hello,

Just interested to know about the people with the Top HSC marks/ranks in their subjects to see if they were always the smartest/top of the class in their schooling years?

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I know at my school, the 2011 dux was apparently ranked like 20th in the cohort in years 7-10.

RishBonjour

HSC
A lot of people didn't try before.

But IMO, most people I know, including me, only started trying (studying etc) in year 12/11, ranks a looooooooooooot.

And also, there are a lot of "smart" kids i know not trying and getting 10th etc, so I personally don't agree with the "smartest" thing.

IMO, HSC: 70% hardwork, the other 30% how "smart" you are.

HSC
A lot of people didn't try before.

But IMO, most people I know, including me, only started trying (studying etc) in year 12/11, ranks a looooooooooooot.

And also, there are a lot of "smart" kids i know not trying and getting 10th etc, so I personally don't agree with the "smartest" thing.

IMO, HSC: 70% hardwork, the other 30% how "smart" you are.
Yeah I would change the title if I could..

madharris

HSC
N/A
I was ~15-40th overall in the year from 7-10 (didn't study only crammed)
I was ~60th overall for prelim (I found out that cramming didn't work anymore)
Now I'm probably ~5-10 (estimate) overall <-- studying helps :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I did well in junior school and still do well in senior school.

Often people do come up higher once they put in the effort in senior school but they are normally intelligent in junior school and just not working imho. ANd the rare person works to the bone to come out on top.

Cheesecake_a

HSC
I've often done consistently well in English/ histories. It has always been subjects as well that I like, and I often did not do as well in Maths/sciences, because I simply did not try as hard.

I mean when I started Studies of Religion in year 11, it was and still is my best subject, mainly because I enjoyed it and it was relatively easy for me since I have a wider knowledge of religion than others in my class (also, it is not necessarily a challenging topic like Legal :p)

But it really is a lot of effort to do well, so those who appear ''naturally smart'' (whatever that means) do also need to put in the effort. One of my friends is an all rounder type of student, she does very well. But she works really hard for it, and so she reaps the rewards.

And if you put in the effort, you can achieve the best you can, :)

Rawf

HSC
In my school, I came first in a test for one of my subjects (95%+)... and in year 11 my average mark was like err 70%
On my report in year 9 and 10, I got D's for every aspect on my school report for maths (42/100), and this year for trials i got about 95% for 2u maths :p

Last edited:

enak101

HSC
I used to smash everything in 7-10 but now that I'm in 11 and still have the studying habit of going through books for 10 mins the day before, people are catching up. Better start properly studying soon.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I changed schools so I don't know. My ranks have all dropped since year 11 because my schools has done fucked up shit in the sciences...

RishBonjour

HSC
I used to smash everything in 7-10 but now that I'm in 11 and still have the studying habit of going through books for 10 mins the day before, people are catching up. Better start properly studying soon.
You better watch out :p some will be determined as fuck (especially in HSC year - not that many people care about prelims)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Got ~50% for English in year 7.
Got 79 in my SC for English.
Came first externally for English standard in my HSC.

That's all I've got. Haha

Apart from English I've always been in the top 20 for all my subjects.
I came 5th overall in the end and my lowest ranking was 9th (English) so I guess that's a bit of an improvement.

Oh, except I wasn't in the top 20 for geo/his sometimes.
I got ~55% in geography in year 10, yet I got a HD in the geography comp and 86 in SC.
My teacher was just shit.

enak101

HSC
You better watch out :p some will be determined as fuck (especially in HSC year - not that many people care about prelims)
Yeah, prelim doesn't matter too much, some of the content is important I guess but as for studying I've been lazy. HSC is really important so I'll be one of those determined people :p Hopefully.

KierenTran

jenko
HSC
Tbh i only started trying in year 12, from 7-11 my ranks were always just avg: btw 30s and most marks were around 70s. Now that i actually try im top 5 in all my subjects :D

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Uhh, yeah for me - kinda. I was seen as one of the most capable students in the class, with all-round ability except in like... PE. PDH portion was fine, PE... nup. something partially retained with scoring the winning runs in the boys vs girls continuous cricket match in year 8 (?) making the boys beat the girls' total of 68 with 1 or 2 wickets to spare... and also something lost when - fielding at first slip - dropped a catch which would've gotten the teacher out

all dose bragging rights gone :( :( :( :(

But in more academic subjects, I dropped to about mid-class in English during Prelim (7/13) and then had an amazing comeback to get to 2nd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)