Westpac Mathematics Competition (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: Maths comp [westpac]

I'm missing out on one period for this competition
and
another period for a Chemistry one.

We have four periods in the day (75min), yet somehow I still managed to have to go to English. :(

Oh yeah, and for the multiple choice: IF IN DOUBT PICK C. :D

HSC

Hahaha, no actually. I read somewhere (a couple of years ago) that C is the most common answer.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC

Hold on, with all the talk about the last section of the paper, Part C, didn't they used to deduct marks for incorrect answers? Yet, if you left it blank you got marks instead? Many people used to just leave the last section blank and so they were garunteed about 30 marks for it... However if you wrote an answer and got it correct you got more marks.... or something like that... hmmm, maybe they've changed it..

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC

wm_abusef said:
Hold on, with all the talk about the last section of the paper, Part C, didn't they used to deduct marks for incorrect answers? Yet, if you left it blank you got marks instead? Many people used to just leave the last section blank and so they were garunteed about 30 marks for it... However if you wrote an answer and got it correct you got more marks.... or something like that... hmmm, maybe they've changed it..
They changed it last year, you don't get any marks if you don't answer a question, or if you get it wrong.

Maths comp starting in an hour... Don't feel like talking :S

EDIT: Geesers. If you chucked Q27 at me four years ago I could've worked it out. But heck, no, I just *have to* forget about all the techniques in these four years :S Given more time I probably would've worked it out too, but oh well.

Last edited:

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC

yep, i just came out of it an hour or so ago.... yeh, i didnt do it last year :p hence i had no idea what was going on... but i hate how u have to write numbers as the final five answers.... mc is soo much better. The Informatics Competition is entirely made up of those 'write ur own/make up a number' questions ><

wat a bullshit competition.... at least i got out of two classes i spose

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC

OMG!! My school is so dumb, on the calendar it says we have the Westpac comp, and i was expecting to do it today, but guess what? We didn't have it today!!

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Would anyone be able to tell me what they suspect a possible cut-off score for a distinction would be (judging from past results etc.)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC

The last 6-7 questions were WTF and NFI for me cept for 2. My friend wrote WTF and NFI in the number boxes.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A

Heh, me and some friends got sent out so we didn't do the exam. Partly because there weren't enough senior papers and partly because we didn't pay :eek:

Oh well, spent my time making plasticine DNA whatevers.

Neurox

HSC
I think the cut-off mark for distinction is around 70-80ish/120.
Anyway..
Question 25 was 6 right?

mica

HSC
Westpac Australian Maths Comp Senior Question !!

Hey All,
I just did the Westpac maths comp today and found it fairly challanging. One question in particular racked my brain, so ill post it here and see if any of you know how to do it.

Question 27

the sum of three numbers is 4, the sum of their squares is 10 and the sum of their cubes is 22. What is the sum of their fourth powers ?

So basically your given that
a + b + c = 4
a^2 + b^2 + c^2 = 10
a^3 + b^3 + c^3 = 22
find what a^4 + b^4 + c^4 equals

I am doing three unit maths and still couldnt do it !
Best of luck to all of you

vojnik

HSC
Re: Westpac Australian Maths Comp Senior Question !!

I think i got 20% in that test.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
^^ I can't remember what i wrote down for question 25, but did anyone get the answer to the last question?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
That was the easy one lol, i wrote down 720 but me and my friend later worked it out to be 768

modezero

HSC
Re: Westpac Australian Maths Comp Senior Question !!

The answer is 50

Neurox

HSC
Lol..i got 768 as well but thats incorrect.
The correct answer was: (3^5) x 4= 972
:(

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)