What are you going to do next year? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
agirlinatutu said:
Just outa curiosity namu... what do u regret about your subject choices?
I regret doing Chemistry. It consumes too much time. I do not even enjoy it that much.

If only I came first, it would have motivated me. I worked so hard in that subject but I didn't get the results that I wanted to get... so I feel 'burnt out' in this subject.

cheap

HSC
How about Mind and Morality? Do you have any info/links for that?

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
i basically copied and pasted what i wrote on another thread:

business services imo is probably the most useful subject you will find at high school (or for that matter any TVET subject) because it is really practical. what you will learn you can apply and is very much relavant once you are in the workforce and you actually get practical experience if you are doing business services (or depending on which TVET subject).

if you plan to enter the workforce anytime during your life business services will be useful. these are some of the topics you will study:
- work effectively in a business environment
- communicate in the workplace
- work effectively with others
- use business technology
- customer service

at my school on of our assessments was that we had to do a resume (very essential to know how to write a good resume) and we had a lot of incursions. we also got a human resource personnel to talk to us about preforming well in an interview and how they do their interview process.

so you can see how relevant it is in everyday life (or everyday life once youre working).

its also good as you get a certificate which is an additional qualification on top of your hsc and trust me this gives you a very good advantage once you finished the hsc in terms of employment and in terms of understanding how the workplace is like. i know it has certainly helped me getting a job.

if you are going to uni (like me ), having a part time job will be so handy once you are studying and this subject gives you that edge which other uni students wont have. also once youre at uni they dont teach you the basic skills you need and because of this some fail at life (ok i know this exaggerated but the story of the graduate that couldn't do the job is more common than ever), the same reason why some employers get disappointed with graduates without work experience. also if you are planning to go to tafe this will also help as you may get exemptions for some topics depending on what you are studying. and if you don't know what to do with your life this subject is a great back up. so all in all this subject imo is definitely relevant and i would recommend it to anyone.

bwahahahha just realised that i wrote a whole essay... just shows how much i <3 this subject... (its really awesome )
if its practical, then im not doing it. i cant stand getting up and doing things. Id rather sit down and relax :)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lyounamu said:
And you know that Mathematics Extension 2 has got the highest scaling, don't you? :D :D
haha. thats mad. maths scales higher than english, right? how much harder is maths ext 2 than ext 1? just a few more topics in ext 2, yeh?

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
haha. thats mad. maths scales higher than english, right? how much harder is maths ext 2 than ext 1? just a few more topics in ext 2, yeh?
I think its a few more topics then Ext 1, and a lot harder. If it was easy, it wouldn't scale that well?

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
I am sorry if I didn't post up any language subjects. I posted up subjects that have high number of student canditure. If you want info on specific subject, I am glad to broaden the details of that particular subject. It is important to know as much as you can. I don't want you to regret at the end (like I do).

If you have any doubts, just post up here.
HEHE...

What's the scaling for Japanese Continuers?

Thanks.

Great thread btw.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
HEHE...

What's the scaling for Japanese Continuers?

Thanks.

Great thread btw.
Its scaling is 31.6 at the moment (average scaling). This scaling is slightly higher than the scaling of Chemistry & Economics which is quite high actually.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
Its scaling is 31.6 at the moment (average scaling). This scaling is slightly higher than the scaling of Chemistry & Economics which is quite high actually.
Ahh thanks!

I was a bit worried that the scaling was low, because I only re-chose the subject because of the scaling - not a healthy practise kids ;)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
Um. I have not done it so I don't actually know how difficult it is. However, I heard from other BoSers that the difficulty of this subject is highly overrated. This would still be extremely hard as this is the highest-scaled subject.

By the way Advanced English > Mathematics (2 Unit)
Mathematics Extension 1 > English Extension 2 > English Extension 1 :D (for your information)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
TearsOfFire said:
I think its a few more topics then Ext 1, and a lot harder. If it was easy, it wouldn't scale that well?
Um... it depends on individuals. All my mates are saying that they cope pretty well. 4 Units topics are apparently not that difficult at all (in comparison to 3 Unit Mathematics). But it really depends on individuals.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
Um. I have not done it so I don't actually know how difficult it is. However, I heard from other BoSers that the difficulty of this subject is highly overrated. This would still be extremely hard as this is the highest-scaled subject.
Both my sisters did 4U Maths. I don't remember what my eldest sister said about 4U maths (as she did her HSC back in 2001), but my more recent sister who completed her HSC in 2007 said that 4U Maths was 'alright', but she also thought that is dealt with lots of 'pointless and stupid maths'. She said that some of the topics there were very confusing and you need to use your head a bit to avoid tricky questions. She also said that, and this is a direct quote, 'There are some 3U topics in the Year 12 syllabus that are harder than 4U'.

Last edited:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lyounamu said:
Mind & Morality is not a UAI subject unfortunately. It is a board-endorsed subject that does not count towards your UAI.

This is the link: http://www.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/study/mkt/hsc_courses.shtml
what is the point of doing a subject that doesn't count towards your uai?

By the way Advanced English > Mathematics (2 Unit)
Mathematics Extension 1 > English Extension 2 > English Extension 1 :D (for your information)
haha thanks :) ohhh well. just gotta perform better in higher scaling subjects to get the advantage

Both my sisters did 4U Maths. I don't remember what my eldest sister said about 4U maths (as she did her HSC back in 2001), but my more recent sister who completed her HSC in 2007 said that 4U Maths was 'alright', but she also thought that is dealt with lots of 'pointless and stupid maths'. She said that some of the topics there were very confusing and you need to use your head a bit to avoid tricky questions. She also said that, and this is a direct quote, 'There are some 3U topics in the Year 12 syllabus that are harder than 4U'.
thanks for that. i wont be afraid to choose 4 unit in year 12 then :) (thats if i can do it. lol. gotta work my ass off in Year 11 then)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
nerdsforever said:
Some people just use that subject as their stress relief. I know that some people would choose to do subjects like Ceramics to just relax from their other demanding subjects.

FuseNick

HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
you need to use your head a bit to avoid tricky questions. .
Haha, that question in the corner of my eye looks hard better turn the page.

Namu chemistry is awesome.:)

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
nerdsforever said:
Doctor Jolly said:
Some people just use that subject as their stress relief. I know that some people would choose to do subjects like Ceramics to just relax from their other demanding subjects.
And the fact that not everyone wants to go to uni meaning that not everyone needs a UAI.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
Well, there are few advantages of doing this course. Few universities that provide this course give bonus UAI for students who are enrolled in this course. For example, there is a course at Macquarie that gives you bonus UAI points if you do that course (my friend does it actually). Some people may also do it because they are interested in them. Um... in my case, I am interested in doing Cosmology next year which is a course outside school (however it counts my UAI).

However, you should be aware of the fact that there are extra costs involved. :)

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
FuseNick said:
Haha, that question in the corner of my eye looks hard better turn the page.

Namu chemistry is awesome.:)
ROFL, now that's using your head.

Yeah I wish I did Chem over Japanese.:mad1:

smushieex

HSC
So far, i'm considering these:
-English adv.
-2u Math.
-Biology
-Economics.
-Business Studies
-SOR 2u ?

---
questions. lol
-I'm not really too sure about biology.. Is it any good? Is it hard? just .... any info you can give about bio?
-I'm also thinking of replacing either economics or business studies with chemistry .. Would it be a good move? If so, which would be better to replace? Business studies or eco?

thankyou~! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)