• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What are you going to do next year? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
QFT?

Well at my school SOR is under the history faculty so you could say it is a history subject
Quoted for truth, I think it means.

bawd

HSC
lyounamu, how does Japanese Beginners and Society & Culture scale?

PS. Where'd you get the actual data? I can't find it anywhere on the BoS, Bored Of Studies or UAC sites?

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
QFT?

Well at my school SOR is under the history faculty so you could say it is a history subject
Under the HSIE faculty maybe? Those subjects History, Legal, Geography, Business tend to be called humanities. :)

tahliagiumelli

HSC
i am in the same situation that you are in.
but i think i will be taking.
religion 1 unit
general maths
standard english
hospitality
business studies
children and family community studies.
but i am not sure about business studies.
not sure what it involves!

bored of sc

HSC
tahliagiumelli said:
i am in the same situation that you are in.
but i think i will be taking.
religion 1 unit
general maths
standard english
hospitality
business studies
community and family studies.
but i am not sure about business studies.
not sure what it involves!
Corrected it to community and family studies (I think that's the course you are talking about). :)

Aznmichael92

HSC
agirlinatutu said:
Under the HSIE faculty maybe? Those subjects History, Legal, Geography, Business tend to be called humanities. :)
My school doesnt have a HSIE faculty. It is split into 2 faculties, History and Social Science (geo, commerce etc.)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aznmichael92 said:
My school doesnt have a HSIE faculty. It is split into 2 faculties, History and Social Science (geo, commerce etc.)
Same.

Just wondering - why are you guys selecting subjects so early? We usually wait until like....October before deciding.

Aznmichael92

HSC
Aerath said:
Same.

Just wondering - why are you guys selecting subjects so early? We usually wait until like....October before deciding.
Well term 3 is when we have it. We cant have it in term 4 as the SC which they want us to study for and not let us being distraced by anything else. After the SC is a bit too late as timetables are to be completed. Not to mention fitting in with the Year 12 time tables (year 11 term 4). At the end of term 3, we have our trials and other assesments. So the only time where we can sit down and talk to someone about our subject selections is early term 3 (week 2 for me)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aznmichael92 said:
Well term 3 is when we have it. We cant have it in term 4 as the SC which they want us to study for and not let us being distraced by anything else. After the SC is a bit too late as timetables are to be completed. Not to mention fitting in with the Year 12 time tables (year 11 term 4). At the end of term 3, we have our trials and other assesments. So the only time where we can sit down and talk to someone about our subject selections is early term 3 (week 2 for me)
yeh. same. I have the holidays to decide what to do, and its due on the second day of term 3. It aint good because we have to get the signature from every head teacher of a course we are going to apply for. Which means I have about two days to collect these signatures.

hey say if you got an A for Maths and you suddenly get a D at the end of the year, will they stop you from doing 3 unit maths?

just wondering, because if we are applying for courses so early wouldnt that mean assessments later on in the year wont be as important, or would they still count to subject choices.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
yeh. same. I have the holidays to decide what to do, and its due on the second day of term 3. It aint good because we have to get the signature from every head teacher of a course we are going to apply for. Which means I have about two days to collect these signatures.

hey say if you got an A for Maths and you suddenly get a D at the end of the year, will they stop you from doing 3 unit maths?

just wondering, because if we are applying for courses so early wouldnt that mean assessments later on in the year wont be as important, or would they still count to subject choices.
That happened to my friend. He ended up being rejected by the Mathematics coordinator. However, in Year 11, he performed extremely well in the first task, enabling him to move up in class.

Therefore, there is always an opportunity. I hope you get in to the class in the first attempt though.

Aznmichael92

HSC
nerdsforever said:

yesterday on my way to meet and greet american pilgrims, i thought of that as well

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but Sefton would. However, they had a really weird system, where you have to be in the Top 72 or something in Year 10 to do Physics or Chemistry, which really sucks. Just make sure that you're consistent, and you'll be fine.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sikhman said:
i was under the impression that you are entitled to do any course you are eligible for....and that teachers can only strongly discourage you, but not stop you from doing courses...?

is that wrong?
They can stop you from choosing the subject. However, they cannot make you drop it once you are already in the course. That's the way I view it and that's my school's current system.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
OBL said:
No, that's actually correct, but the fact of the matter is, not many people know that this is the case, and so many students get bullied into courses that the school thinks are 'suitable' for their abilities.
No. There are schools that make a certain requirement. For example, you could not do Mathematics Extension 1 without A. Some people despertely tried but they failed.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
OBL said:
Did you go to Sefton before moving to Sydney Boys?

If so, what's your name?
I've never been to Sefton, I just have a lot of friends there.

OBL said:
My advice: If the school is being a bitch and not allowing you to do the course you want, get your parents to write a letter and threaten to call the Board.
+1. Worked with my friend, he actually called up the Director-General's Office, because Sefton wouldn't let him do Chemistry or Physics.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
OBL said:
No, that's actually correct, but the fact of the matter is, not many people know that this is the case, and so many students get bullied into courses that the school thinks are 'suitable' for their abilities.
They can suggest courses which would be most suitable for students, but they do not have the power to force students what to take as far as I know.

TearsOfFire

HSC
N/A
Is there anyone who has done/is doing 14 units in year 11?? We have to do 13 units minimum, and I don't like any of the 1 unit subject on offer, so what's the workload like for 14 units??

So far, I'm considering doing:
Maths
Maths Ex 1
SOR 1 unit
Ad. English
Chem
Physics
Econ
Legal or Biology

I don't want to do 2 unit SOR cause I hate Religion totally... And I've asked family friends and they say that I should do Adv. English-I have to ask my teacher what he thinks I should choose though.

L

lsam

TearsOfFire said:
Is there anyone who has done/is doing 14 units in year 11?? We have to do 13 units minimum, and I don't like any of the 1 unit subject on offer, so what's the workload like for 14 units??

So far, I'm considering doing:
Maths
Maths Ex 1
SOR 1 unit
Ad. English
Chem
Physics
Econ
Legal or Biology

I don't want to do 2 unit SOR cause I hate Religion totally... And I've asked family friends and they say that I should do Adv. English-I have to ask my teacher what he thinks I should choose though.
14 is not much. I have done 15 units when I started Prelim. But I dropped Physics because I was already burnt out at that time.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aplus said:
They can suggest courses which would be most suitable for students, but they do not have the power to force students what to take as far as I know.
some schools make rules on choosing courses. 'If you dont like our rules, then leave the school' says my deputy principal. That seems a bit harsh. Its a bit like forcing anyway

theres nothing in the board of studies about schools being able to exclude students from certain courses (i checked the ACE manual)...i think everyone is allowed to choose whatever courses...unless of course the school doesnt offer it or it doesnt fit into the timetable, in which case i assume you would go through open high school....
haha but some schools have numbers for the amount of students allowed. And some schools look at your marks and they can exclude you that way. Stuff up one assessment, and you can loose the opportunity to do a course forever. i stuffed up my exam and now I cant do the English level I want to do. so basically my whole life depended on that exam. and there have been some students wanting to do maths ext 1 because the uni courses require it, but they stuffed up their exam but still did good in topic tests, but the school wont let them do it. The word goes around that, 'Our life depends on how well we do in Year 10".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)