• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

What are your thoughts on the NSW education system? (17 Viewers)

Bastani

HSC
it’s just interesting to note how

jesus christ i don’t think you understand how expensive 10 thousand dollars is. how much money does benefits get you?
you have send your parents tax documents and payslips etc. but i think the max benefit you can get covers 90% of the fee so only 1k anually

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
I only came to this realisation that I have it so much better than some of my urban friends since I have rural status, once I screwed up on one of my assessment tasks for the hsc. I have the security of having a lower cutoff. My peers did not have that same luxury and therefore they have much more on the line if they intend to continue to finish the course this yr. Being rural can be insanely helpful, especially if you pick the right subjects and have the motivation to grind more than the average student in an urban city.

Bastani

HSC
I only came to this realisation that I have it so much better than some of my urban friends since I have rural status, once I screwed up on one of my assessment tasks for the hsc. I have the security of having a lower cutoff. My peers did not have that same luxury and therefore they have much more on the line if they intend to continue to finish the course this yr. Being rural can be insanely helpful, especially if you pick the right subjects and have the motivation to grind more than the average student in an urban city.
thats my point yfm

beanbug

HSC
I did asw. defs less resources in rural areas but you just need to be resourceful and manage your time well. Ik someone on this forum who got a 99.5+ in a school ranked in the 400s. 91 isn't impossible to do if you can trek it out and grind. Any atar over 90 is hard to achieve. But note that the cuttoff for students in urban cities would be 8x the effort required for the same cuttoff rural so take this advantage to your benefit.
you're right, it is absolutely 100% possible for someone from a rural, regional area to get a 90+ atar. i personally think that it's relatively easier for people in urban areas to get that atar due to the strength of the cohort. it is just a lot of your own effort and your own time that you're spending getting the same resources that city kids are getting from their teachers/schooling inherently.

if we disagree on this it's completely fine. however, unis lower their entrance requirements for rural/regional students for a reason. they recognise that the hsc system puts them at a disadvantage, so the lower requirements are unis trying to make it fair.

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
yeah i can see how that would help in a way. but also, you’ve gotta think about how if a rural person messes up, they mess up BIG TIME as rural schools are usually ranked very low and so not being ranked first or in like the top 3 means it’s basically certain you can’t get a band 6. whereas in urban, higher ranked schools, they get way more band 6s so even if they mess up they have more people to fall back on. my school in the past 8 years has gotten 0-8 band sixes TOTAL each year. there was like 3 years with no band 6s at all. forgive me if it doesn’t seem much easier as a rural student. obviously i get where you’re coming from though.

beanbug

HSC
yeah i can see how that would help in a way. but also, you’ve gotta think about how if a rural person messes up, they mess up BIG TIME as rural schools are usually ranked very low and so not being ranked first or in like the top 3 means it’s basically certain you can’t get a band 6. whereas in urban, higher ranked schools, they get way more band 6s so even if they mess up they have more people to fall back on. my school in the past 8 years has gotten 0-8 band sixes TOTAL each year. there was like 3 years with no band 6s at all. forgive me if it doesn’t seem much easier as a rural student. obviously i get where you’re coming from though.
totally agree with this!! looking at the band 6 counts between my old school and my current school is such a shock. if i stayed at my old school, i would have to top every single assignment in every single subject to even get a chance at a 90+ atar.

axe

HSC
u can simply live somewhere rural and go board at a school and still get the benefits its fucked. literally 1hr away from my school is considered rural according to usyd.

beanbug

HSC
u can simply live somewhere rural and go board at a school and still get the benefits its fucked. literally 1hr away from my school is considered rural according to usyd.
you don't always get the benefits. im a boarder and bc ive done y12 in a city i don't get it for quite a few unis. usyd also uses government classifications of the areas to determine who is regional/rurual

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
its also way harder to get a 91 atar if youre in a rural area. the quality of teaching and resources are much less than in metro areas (speaking from experience as someone who has gone to school in a regional and metro area) and these students typically don't perform as well in the final exams
I second this. I've been to both schools in the metro area and schools from a really low socioeconomic status. Many of my classmates from the latter needed my help to even do basic arithmetic.

ss2000

HSC
That's not really fair. Private schools need funding regardless. The costs of education for students can only do so much- this being teacher salaries, sports extracurriculars etc. Government funding is essential for any school for stuff like infrastructure, resources, funding for indp. papers etc so I don't 100% agree that it should be completely axed from the latter. I think it should simply be reduced.
I can't understand the public funding for an exclusive private business. Diverting the funds to private schools undermines the public education system.

jonolad69

HSC
you're right, it is absolutely 100% possible for someone from a rural, regional area to get a 90+ atar. i personally think that it's relatively easier for people in urban areas to get that atar due to the strength of the cohort.

lol this maybe only applies to top 80 schools wtf are u talking about

WeiWeiMan

HSC
totally agree with this!! looking at the band 6 counts between my old school and my current school is such a shock. if i stayed at my old school, i would have to top every single assignment in every single subject to even get a chance at a 90+ atar.
I mean, if you have top every single assignment, it's probably easier to get rank 1. Your internal in your good school SHOULD be close enough to your external (assuming your skill level corresponds closely to your rank) so it's not like it'd make thattttttt big of a difference. im yapping

i mean, for med specifically, rural ppl are still at a hella advantage

you can get theoretically 91 atar with 0 b6's
you need hella high marks to get a 99.5, a borderline b6 in everything aint gonna cut it

katiekms

HSC
I mean, if you have top every single assignment, it's probably easier to get rank 1. Your internal in your good school SHOULD be close enough to your external (assuming your skill level corresponds closely to your rank) so it's not like it'd make thattttttt big of a difference. im yapping

i mean, for med specifically, rural ppl are still at a hella advantage

you can get theoretically 91 atar with 0 b6's
you need hella high marks to get a 99.5, a borderline b6 in everything aint gonna cut it
i can’t get a 91 with 0 b6s 🙃

katiekms

HSC
don’t you think that if rural people truely were at an advantage, rich people wanting to do med would move to rural areas? go to school at rural schools? or deep down do we all understand that rural education gives you a disadvantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 17)