What ATAR are you aiming for? (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
@ExtremelyBoredUser yeh, like kkk579 says why is it bad?
Unless its something with introductory courses overlapping e.g ENG/MATH + CS, go ahead.

Let's say you do Economics + Computer Science. You find out that Economics is a boring degree and you literally hate it so much after the first term. But by nature you'll persist because you want to "fully explore it" i.e you'll try all the introductory courses ideally if you're that type of worker. So you might waste 3 courses worth of time/effort where you could have better spent it on your other CS courses or only 2 courses as opposed to 3.

I'm not kidding, the workload for 3 courses is insane compared to anything HSC will give you. Its fast, and it treats you like you do the course full time with no regards to other courses (or it feels like it). I really have pity for people who're just getting into complex numbers now and are burdened by say comp1511 and math1081.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
@Aeonium
On a serious note, ignoring the trolling, I wouldn't go for Co-Ops unless its for actuarial. I realised I am not as interested in financial mathematics or what actuarial lifestyle entails after speaking to Co-Op ppl and other actuaries. I'm much more happy with a scholarship and doing maths since its something I'm willing to work through.

Don't choose degrees on the basis of "High ATAR requirement", "prestige" etc. Go for broad scholarships and you'll be fine. I really doubt anyone here will have the will to persevere and excel in subjects they couldn't care or hate for uni. Keep this in mind before you go to uni.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
saw a post on SAT fb page roasting the coop scholarship bcz it wasn't worth it.. rip
If you're capable to get into Co-Op then apparently the internships aren't worth it since you can get internships by yourself. Not saying this from experience but this is what I regularly hear, ppl do Co-Op for 1-2 years then drop out of the Co-Op because they're able to get higher paying internships.

No idea about Co-Ops, I'm sure someone else knows more abt it but thats what swayed me to maths.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
nah dude, its a matter of time be4 her parents force her. I've seen this happen be4. The parents 'state' that theiur child can do wtf they want. but when they get 99.95 atar bc less stress, one way trip to med school, and the rest is history.
Lol I still get questioned why I didn't do engineering by my mom

idkkdi

HSC
If you're capable to get into Co-Op then apparently the internships aren't worth it since you can get internships by yourself. Not saying this from experience but this is what I regularly hear, ppl do Co-Op for 1-2 years then drop out of the Co-Op because they're able to get higher paying internships.

No idea about Co-Ops, I'm sure someone else knows more abt it but thats what swayed me to maths.
@Aeonium
On a serious note, ignoring the trolling, I wouldn't go for Co-Ops unless its for actuarial. I realised I am not as interested in financial mathematics or what actuarial lifestyle entails after speaking to Co-Op ppl and other actuaries. I'm much more happy with a scholarship and doing maths since its something I'm willing to work through.

Don't choose degrees on the basis of "High ATAR requirement", "prestige" etc. Go for broad scholarships and you'll be fine. I really doubt anyone here will have the will to persevere and excel in subjects they couldn't care or hate for uni. Keep this in mind before you go to uni.
nah do coop so you get the first internship. after the first internship, getting higher ones r ez. that's when u drop. but ye getting the first one via coop makes ur life so much easier
Well he did get a scholarship soo...

Besides the duration, I don't really see what's the issue with double degrees...

A good thing about doing one is that you can get a feel for both degrees and see what interests you more, and you have the flexibility to drop to one degree if you hate something
another thing with doubles is that it gives u more time to stack up your resume with more work experience and ec's which helps with finding a better job when you graduate

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Lol I still get questioned why I didn't do engineering by my mom
Cause you're in uni, I want to ask you this. From a non-law perspective, what is your opinion on law students? Are they as cunty as they are made out to be or is it just the rumours?

idkkdi

HSC
u generally cant apply for any good companies for internships, unless you are a penultimate student (2nd last yr of uni). Coop allows for u to get a good internship before the penultimate year.
on 2nd thought, since coop are single degrees, it might be penultimate lol.

either way, coop guarantees a first internship, and without work exp it's quite hard getting that first one which is a bit of a paradox but that's how it works.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Cause you're in uni, I want to ask you this. From a non-law perspective, what is your opinion on law students? Are they as cunty as they are made out to be or is it just the rumours?
I think I've only met 1 law student in my whole time in UNSW and that's because he was doing a related math course. Haven't met with them, our buildings are quite away and we don't share any related courses. Way too far away from my dept/building xD you gotta ask a law guy themself or someone in the humanities bc they might share buildings.

idkkdi

HSC
nah not cunty, sweaty maybe sometimes a bit pretentious ig

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Ok fair enough.

That is just UNSW though. The USyd variety are a different breed. A strange mixture of angst, paranoia, avarice, and GPS school dickheadery. (from what I've heard)
1678793371589.png

HazzRat

H̊ͯaͤz͠z̬̼iẻͩ̊͏̖͈̪
HSC
Yeah idk I only know one person that does law at usyd, sounds about right though
Also, is it best to do a combined degree with law? I've heard mixed opinions on this. If so, what degree to pair it with?

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

God Did
HSC
Also, is it best to do a combined degree with law? I've heard mixed opinions on this. If so, what degree to pair it with?
Yes, it is much better to do a double degree for law, makes you stand out more to employers than just a single law degree. In terms of what to pair it with, it's completely your choice, whatever your interests are. I chose Econ because I find it interesting. The only thing I wouldn't combine it with (although you still can) is actuarial studies, that would be so much work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)