What car do you drive? (the new one) (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The sites I used did not specify atw or atfw so I assumed its atfw.
Almost always not the case unless talking about modified cars - even then some people try to convert it into an estimated fwkw and American dynos are notorious for exaggerated figures

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Almost always not the case unless talking about modified cars - even then some people try to convert it into an estimated fwkw and American dynos are notorious for exaggerated figures
+1

Give or take 10-20%, American dynos have "fairy dust" inside them.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Manufacturers never quote atw.

Most enthusiasts quote atw.

In all seriousness though a dyno compraison is really only meaningful if the two dynos are the same. No point giving it too much weight on the internets.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Manufacturers never quote atw.

Most enthusiasts quote atw.

In all seriousness though a dyno compraison is really only meaningful if the two dynos are the same. No point giving it too much weight on the internets.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
I heard that anyone turning 16 next year has to wait until they are 16 years and 9 months to drive :/ so unfair for me ...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
My car isn't as powerful as a Holden Commodore, but it really doesn't matter what people say about your car because at the end of the day, its yours. Some people like muscle cars, some people like JDM (I do too since my favourite car is the R34 Skyline) and some people like EDM. I respect that.
Is the car really yours (ie bought with your hard earned money) , or did your parents buy it for you?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
One of my mates just bought a nice clean white R8.... super jelly :( Why oh why did I sign up for a mortgage?!

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Savings and money I earnt from Maccas. My parents would never buy me a car lol
What price did you get it for?

When choosing my first car, I was seriously considering a new C class but I realised how stupid of an idea that would have been. The money is much better placed towards a home deposit.

Next car I'm looking at (still currently with my Cruze) is the Commodore VF SV6 (the V8 SS is a bit much for me in terms of thirst and power). A brand new for <35k and it's PACKED with features!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What price did you get it for?

When choosing my first car, I was seriously considering a new C class but I realised how stupid of an idea that would have been. The money is much better placed towards a home deposit.

Next car I'm looking at (still currently with my Cruze) is the Commodore VF SV6 (the V8 SS is a bit much for me in terms of thirst and power). A brand new for <35k and it's PACKED with features!
Not sure if it still stands with the current Commodore models, but IIRC the V6 was more desirable from the start compared to the V8 outright (around 2007-8 I think).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Not sure if it still stands with the current Commodore models, but IIRC the V6 was more desirable from the start compared to the V8 outright (around 2007-8 I think).
Maybe in terms of fuel economy, but the LSx series has the reputation of being one of the best engines of the last ten or so years.

Someone somewhere has swapped an Lsx engine into almost everything, so its a no brainer to get one in a car that comes with them stock if you are after performance.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
No way...

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
$30,000

I haven't really thought about my home deposit..not really into long term goals at the moment because its a long way away for me. I still have the HSC, uni, graduation.
How much did you work? Considering your age and the minimum age requirement to work, something is not adding up.

30,000/(10 dollars per hour) = 3000 working hours = 75 forty hour weeks = 1.5 years of working full time at maccas @ $10 ph. Say you started work at 16 y.o, that means in order to have afforded that, you must have worked full time straight from then until now...

Anyway, I'm still having a bit of fun looking around for other models I can go for other than the SV6.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Started working at maccas on the 11th of March 2012. As of July 2013, I earnt ~$13,000. Bear in mind, most of the other money comprises of birthday present/chinese new year red pockets/savings. I tend to work more in the holidays and put my availability from 10am-7.30pm on public holidays.

Not sure about your taste, but a HSV Senator would be a pretty good choice for a new car, the 2013 model is good value for money. Assuming you have your full license, of course since its a V8.
The thing is I'd like something that is in between economical and powerful. Something like say my current Cruze is pretty economical but fairly weak (loljk not economical it's not I get 11L/100km avg and I drive pretty economically) but a HSV Senator would be pretty damned thirsty (tho dat powa)

I'm also quite interested in having a good interior. Good grief some luxury cars have terrible interiors for their price (ie: BMW 3 series or the Audi A4. The only luxury model < 100k with a nice interior is probably the C or E class)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
IIRC it was comparing the best V6 against the best V8.

I can't remember the argument though because it was so long ago.
Still was never the case with Holdens, the turbo ford i6s used to be purposely tuned in a way to keep the V8s top of the line but the v8s have all been fpvs and most of them super charged for a while now anyway.

The early 2006 model commodores were also VZs and the v6 then had issues.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The thing with a first car is it really needs to be something where you can learn and afford to make mistakes IMO. You learn a lot about driving and getting a car like a Benz will either leave you overly cautious or overly dependent on the engineering. I think you also made the right choice because in hindsight, spending $100k+ on new cars before 25 was probably not the smartest idea when I now have a mortgage and realise every dollar I put in, saves me a dollar of interest over the 25 years (assuming 4% p/a interest and a simple back of the envelope calculation).

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
We had two holdens back 15 years ago.

Never again is what we said.

If someone gave me a brand new holden, I would rather sell it and buy something else.

Just my opinion though which is probably not even relevant 15 years later.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
The thing with a first car is it really needs to be something where you can learn and afford to make mistakes IMO. You learn a lot about driving and getting a car like a Benz will either leave you overly cautious or overly dependent on the engineering. I think you also made the right choice because in hindsight, spending $100k+ on new cars before 25 was probably not the smartest idea when I now have a mortgage and realise every dollar I put in, saves me a dollar of interest over the 25 years (assuming 4% p/a interest and a simple back of the envelope calculation).
This is very true. Having a car worth less than $5k and with less than $1k a year of costs associated with it is a good start to things. That way you don't have to worry about it too much if something happens to the physical body (paint, low speed crashes, etc).

Though with this concept, you need to make sure you have the right engine to last you a desired amount of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)