What car do you drive? (the new one) (1 Viewer)

kfnmpah

HSC
MAKE: Leyland
MODEL: 1098cc Mini clubman panel van
YEAR: 1974
LIKES: it's fucking cool as shit. Everything that could be chromed has been chromed, it's got character and I love panel vans. No rust, fully recon motor and engine. It's mint, alright?
DISLIKES: engine too small, takes 5 minutes to warm up or there is zero acceleration/random stalling.
FUN FACT/OTHER/MODLIST: You have to double clutch from 3rd down to second.
PLANS FOR FUTURE: I'm saving up for a full respray- 2 pak, of course. I'd love to get the engine bored out to atleast a 1400 (maybe 1525, but it probably won't be drivable) or do something a little bit silly and put a turbo on it or something. I'm going to keep it for a few years while I do up a holden panel van (preferebaly a HQ or and FJ van with a v8 fuck yeahhhhhhhhh)
PHOTOS:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/163407_497065191484_716091484_6663344_5160000_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/163214_497065266484_716091484_6663345_6700454_n.jpg

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I bought a Getz a couple of months ago, to replace my 1988 Mazda 121.

It's nice. Quite different to my old car because all the doors work, it has power steering, the air con works, the cd player works, it has bluetooth and power windows and it the lights turn off automatically when I take the key out, rather than staying on and draining the battery (which happened all too often in the Mazda because it didn't even beep when you'd left the lights on.

It's tiny and black and I love it.

HSC
MAKE: Leyland
MODEL: 1098cc Mini clubman panel van
YEAR: 1974
LIKES: it's fucking cool as shit. Everything that could be chromed has been chromed, it's got character and I love panel vans. No rust, fully recon motor and engine. It's mint, alright?
DISLIKES: engine too small, takes 5 minutes to warm up or there is zero acceleration/random stalling.
FUN FACT/OTHER/MODLIST: You have to double clutch from 3rd down to second.
PLANS FOR FUTURE: I'm saving up for a full respray- 2 pak, of course. I'd love to get the engine bored out to atleast a 1400 (maybe 1525, but it probably won't be drivable) or do something a little bit silly and put a turbo on it or something. I'm going to keep it for a few years while I do up a holden panel van (preferebaly a HQ or and FJ van with a v8 fuck yeahhhhhhhhh)
PHOTOS:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/163407_497065191484_716091484_6663344_5160000_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/163214_497065266484_716091484_6663345_6700454_n.jpg
its cool i gues

i would never drive it because it would be probably less safe than a motorbike

also your tumblr is the single most nerdy thing i have ever seen

kfnmpah

HSC
its cool i gues

i would never drive it because it would be probably less safe than a motorbike

also your tumblr is the single most nerdy thing i have ever seen
Youd be surprised at how safe it is, actually.
My car is rust free (except for a little surface rust on the sills) and bog free, meaning its structural integrity is great.
Also, if you look under the bonnet at the back of the engine bay, you'll see a wall of metal, modern cars usually only have a metal bar. If someone hits the front of my car, there's a f*ck load of metal to get through before anything gets to me.
My driving has gotten exponentially safer, too. When i had my old car (holden barina) i drove like a crazy person- driving the mini has made my driving sooo much better and safer. There's no way a motorbike is safer than the mini. I think even some modern small cars are probably equally as safe, if not slightly less just because of how cars are made now. If you crashed the mini the damage wouldn't be nearly as bad as if you crashed a new small car. An old car would have a dent, the new car would be in pieces. Yeah

/rant.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
My car is rust free (except for a little surface rust on the sills) and bog free, meaning its structural integrity is great.
Also, if you look under the bonnet at the back of the engine bay, you'll see a wall of metal, modern cars usually only have a metal bar. If someone hits the front of my car, there's a f*ck load of metal to get through before anything gets to me.
My driving has gotten exponentially safer, too. When i had my old car (holden barina) i drove like a crazy person- driving the mini has made my driving sooo much better and safer. There's no way a motorbike is safer than the mini. I think even some modern small cars are probably equally as safe, if not slightly less just because of how cars are made now. If you crashed the mini the damage wouldn't be nearly as bad as if you crashed a new small car. An old car would have a dent, the new car would be in pieces. Yeah

/rant.
Chances are though, without crumple-zones, air bags or any other safety equipment like that, you'd be dead regardless.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah the reason new cars smash up so easily is because they have crumple zones, so the force is transferred around the driver.

Dad used to drive a charger, had a massive car accident and the front of the car didn't crumple, it shoved the engine into the front seat of the car, and the steering wheel into his face.

Crumple zones are a good thing.

HSC

/rant.
lol that isnt how crashes work

i doubt the structural rigidity of that car was good to begin with, in its natural state.

thats the firewall, modern cars are designed to drop the engine low, away from the passengers, which is why the firewall is sloped down. whereas yours is vertical and the engine just pushes into it and pushes it onto your legs.

having a lot of rigid metal is bad. the more rigid the car is, the more force is transferred onto the passengers. modern cars are designed to crumple, which is why they dent more easily. you are b maths, you know about momentum etc. in a crash the stronger steel car will deaccelerate a lot faster, whereas the crumpling of the new car will slow deacceleration slightly.

in addition to this, the new cars passenger area is extremely strong. designed to stay together as well as possible and not deform onto the passengers. so basically there are 2 sections, the first part crumples to absorb impact and the 2nd part is much stronger to protect the occupants from deformation of the body. basically the same princple as Formula 1 cars and how the tiny capsule the driver is in is incredibly strong.

new cars have airbags, to take even less of the force off the passengers by slowing their forward momentum. in your car you will hit a hard steering column and roof with your head and chest. in a new car you will hit a soft pillow of air.

also that car is light as fuck and quite rigid. so in a collision with something with a larger mass (anything really) it will deaccelerate at a faster rate. the heavier vehicle always deaccelerates more slowly.

"Nicholas Faith states in his book that Murray Mackay, one of the UK's leading motor vehicle crash and safety researchers, was critical of the pre-1967 Mini's passive safety features, including the protruding filler cap, the door latch, and the vulnerability of the passenger space to engine intrusion." - i just found this, in regards to "you'll see a wall of metal, modern cars usually only have a metal bar. ". That wall of metal isnt a good thing.

also "The Mini was withdrawn from the American market because it could not meet the 1968 U.S. safety regulations "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini
this also talks about construction
monocoque with external welded seams

not a very strong method at all, with no internal bracing lol its basically a tin can

so yeah

the reason new cars may be damaged more easily (superficial damage) is because they have made concessions to protect the passengers. who cars if the front of the car crumples to 1/4 its orignal size, the occupants will have been spared a lot more of the force by the slowed deacceleration

tl;dr you are wrong lol

HSC
[video]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini[/video]

its ok i didnt expect a girl to know much about cars anyway

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC

i doubt the structural rigidity of that car was good to begin with, in its natural state.

thats the firewall, modern cars are designed to drop the engine low, away from the passengers, which is why the firewall is sloped down. whereas yours is vertical and the engine just pushes into it and pushes it onto your legs.

having a lot of rigid metal is bad. the more rigid the car is, the more force is transferred onto the passengers. modern cars are designed to crumple, which is why they dent more easily. you are b maths, you know about momentum etc. in a crash the stronger steel car will deaccelerate a lot faster, whereas the crumpling of the new car will slow deacceleration slightly.

in addition to this, the new cars passenger area is extremely strong. designed to stay together as well as possible and not deform onto the passengers. so basically there are 2 sections, the first part crumples to absorb impact and the 2nd part is much stronger to protect the occupants from deformation of the body. basically the same princple as Formula 1 cars and how the tiny capsule the driver is in is incredibly strong.

new cars have airbags, to take even less of the force off the passengers by slowing their forward momentum. in your car you will hit a hard steering column and roof with your head and chest. in a new car you will hit a soft pillow of air.

also that car is light as fuck and quite rigid. so in a collision with something with a larger mass (anything really) it will deaccelerate at a faster rate. the heavier vehicle always deaccelerates more slowly.

"Nicholas Faith states in his book that Murray Mackay, one of the UK's leading motor vehicle crash and safety researchers, was critical of the pre-1967 Mini's passive safety features, including the protruding filler cap, the door latch, and the vulnerability of the passenger space to engine intrusion." - i just found this, in regards to "you'll see a wall of metal, modern cars usually only have a metal bar. ". That wall of metal isnt a good thing.

also "The Mini was withdrawn from the American market because it could not meet the 1968 U.S. safety regulations "

not a very strong method at all, with no internal bracing lol its basically a tin can

so yeah

the reason new cars may be damaged more easily (superficial damage) is because they have made concessions to protect the passengers. who cars if the front of the car crumples to 1/4 its orignal size, the occupants will have been spared a lot more of the force by the slowed deacceleration

tl;dr you are wrong lol
... I said the same thing in one line XD.

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A

so yeah

tl;dr you are wrong lol
the wonders of ~engineering~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)