What careers can you go into with a BSc Physics major? (1 Viewer)

Lacquer

HSC
Well, that's what I'm aiming to do at uni, but my mum keeps saying that everyone who does that will never get a job because no one hires BSc graduates. I wanna do something like astrophysics, or nuclear physics, or theoretical physics, and then go into research and if I can't do any of those, then engineering as a last resort. What industries or companies are there that hire physics graduates? And is it really that hard to get a job with this degree?

And yeah, I know that to become a research scientist I have to do a PhD and I don't mind doing that - the problem is that my mum acts like it's the end of the world when I say I want this degree, and I'm certain she'll kick me out of the house if I choose it. But if there's a good chance I'll be able to find a job after graduating then I'll take it regardless of all the horror stories she tells me about people being unable to find a job after they graduate.

Oh god, I'm such a noob at this.

viva_la_albert

HSC
You can get plenty of jobs that aren't necessarily in a science related field with a BSc. If you want to be serious about research, honours then a PhD or a MPhil would be the best way to go. Other that research itself, you may be interested in mining, defence systems, finance, patent law, computer modelling, engineering. Physics grads end up in some pretty broad places, you'd be surprised.

It's great that you've decided on a major already, but don't close your mind to other fields. Geology, Biology, Chemistry and Comp are some really strong fields out there which you definitely look into whilst at a university level. Many people move from Physics to biology, like..an insane amount of people.

1to1 Tutor

HSC
N/A
Hello,
You have the option to choose between both the Government Sector and the Private Sector. In the Government Sector you can choose job like civil service, psc tests, also bank PO and other Government sector job, You may be required to clear the entrance test for these exams. You also have the option to go in for further studies like MA, MBA. After MA you can if interested go into the teaching or research field.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
If you want you can appease your mum by doubling up. Do Comm/Sci or something generally seen as more "employable" as a fallback plan. Even a double major Maths/Physics would be good at this. Everyone loves mathematicians. Especially the finance sector.
But just quietly, your mum is a fucking moron and you need to tell her so. It's about your happiness, not your wallet, and you are still looking at having postgrad qualifications anyway. It's not like you're dropping out of high school to be a professional gamer or go on the dole.

such_such

HSC
I think your mum is just scared you'll make the wrong decision and live a miserable life.

But anyway, I've heard people who major in physics get jobs in banking and earn 1K... something like that.

wikkkkkiiiiiii

HSC
hahaha... your mum is not scaring you. She just love you and your future and want to help you out. She doesn't want to see you in a trouble in future. i would suggest you rather google up such info. there then you get subscribe to no. of websites offering highly paid jobs to then physicists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)