What Clubs and Socs are you joining this year? (1 Viewer)

bshoc

HSC
N/A
tumunion said:
No, atheists dont generally form 'fronts', we leave that to the religious fanatics who seem to be all about forming 'fronts' in the name of god...no wonder there are so many friggin wars
Yeah, with Hitler, Stalin and Mao you really put it right out there for all the atheists ...

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Seryn said:
Hmm, that avatar looks awfully familiar. You wouldnt be Long John would you? :p
oh, he's very long ;) but his name isn't john. call him daddy

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yes I do keep and spend the cash monies Cecil.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
bshoc said:
Yeah, with Hitler, Stalin and Mao you really put it right out there for all the atheists ...
Except they weren't driven by atheism. Find me a case where there has been a mass war because atheists have been offended by their neighbouring country's religion.

Alyson-Devereau

HSC
Seryn said:
I was thinking much the same thing last year, being a huge fan of fantasy in general but not of roleplaying, but my worries were soon put to rest.
Sutekh focuses on a whole range of 'pop-culture' as they like to call it. Roleplaying and videogames do enter among our major focuses but Fantasy sci-fi culture of all kind from novels to tv shows are all given due attention. See our forum here to get a rough idea and ask any further questions: http://forum.sutekh.info/
Hope to see you there:)
Thanks! I was wondering, because I actually had a look at the forum site before, and wasn't really sure. But I'm liking the sound of Sutekh from what I've read so far. Now just have to sign up for access card and stuff.

HSC
I'm seriously thinking Sutekh. It was the only one that seemed to kinda jump out at me.

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
Alyson-Devereau said:
Thanks! I was wondering, because I actually had a look at the forum site before, and wasn't really sure. But I'm liking the sound of Sutekh from what I've read so far. Now just have to sign up for access card and stuff.
Iheartpaulfrank said:
I'm seriously thinking Sutekh. It was the only one that seemed to kinda jump out at me.
Keep an eye out for the guy in the Aragorn costume and sandwhich board...I still can't beleive I actually signed up for that :rolleyes:

Alyson-Devereau

HSC
Seryn said:
Keep an eye out for the guy in the Aragorn costume and sandwhich board...I still can't beleive I actually signed up for that :rolleyes:
At least you'll be easy to spot - I'm getting the feeling that there's going to be crowds!

lengy

HSC
Can people not attending USyd join the clubs?

lala2

Banned
HSC
lengy, have you graduated then? :confused:

No-one seems to have answered my question earlier in this thread, so I will ask it again and another one:

Oh, and on the topic of sports clubs--my understanding is that you pay the membership fee to be a member of SU Sport, and then there's the individual club costs on top of that, right? Because all three sports (not that I will have time to join all three, but I'll definitely be joining at least one) says "you have to be a member of SU Sport" and then they quote their own prices too.
And "must" you buy the Access Card in order to join societies? I'm not particularly willing to fork out $99, and even if I was willing to, I don't have a credit card :( Should I enrol online with my parents' credit card , and then when you present your receipt, do you need to verify your identity as owner of said credit card? Or I can only pay in cash. Anyone know if this is possible, and which option is better?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I don't think you have to buy the Access card to join societies, but they'll charge you some sort of 'administrative fee' (ie, stick component of the buy-an-Access-card campaign) for every society you join. Something like $37 per society?

I think you can use EFTPOS or cash to buy an Access card at O-week, so you don't need a credit card, but I don't see why they wouldn't let you use your parents' credit card online.

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
Triangulum said:
I don't think you have to buy the Access card to join societies, but they'll charge you some sort of 'administrative fee' (ie, stick component of the buy-an-Access-card campaign) for every society you join. Something like $37 per society?
Yup, that sounds about right. I'm pretty sure that non-usyd students can join up too but they'd have to pay the admin fee as well. Plus in both situations you wouldn't have access to the union perks within those clubs.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Seryn said:
Yup, that sounds about right. I'm pretty sure that non-usyd students can join up too but they'd have to pay the admin fee as well. Plus in both situations you wouldn't have access to the union perks within those clubs.
What union perks are these?

Seryn

Ayreonaut
HSC
Triangulum said:
What union perks are these?
Well they differ from club to club. The only example i know off hand is Sutekh where, for example we can get free beer and half price pizza at certain events. People who pay the admin fee instead of joining the union don't get these subsidised offers.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Seryn said:
Or you know they can go to the stall :p

Union perks are as follows:

Access card holders get a discount of a minimum of 15% at events off the comparative non-access card holder cost. (For example club + access, versus just club, or non-club access versus non-club).

Also the highest access card price cannot be higher then the lowest non access card price.

Also it benefits the club to have higher access membership, with the percentage of access card holders on the member books determining the cap of funding.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)